1. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    28 Oct '08 18:49
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    lol, i didn't realize i was, i was just throwing out some of my own thoughts, as i stated i dunno why it is that people feel the need to be demeaning, is it because i said they are, 'on a big fat ego trip', if this is true it can hardly be construed as demeaning, never the less, i could be wrong and as you are aware, i am forever apologizing when i r ...[text shortened]... ve a disclaimer! in fact maybe i should just stop posting comments, ...no comments please!😀
    We thank you for the complementary characterization. Another delightful theist to be friends with!
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Oct '08 19:03
    Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
    We thank you for the complementary characterization. Another delightful theist to be friends with!
    who said anything about friends? 2 Corinthians 6:14, 'Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers. For what fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have? Or what sharing does light have with darkness? Further, what harmony is there between Christ and Belial? Or what portion does a faithful person have with an unbeliever? And what agreement does God’s temple have with idols?', now that we understand each other, how are you ?
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    28 Oct '08 20:46
    And it's not insulting and sarcastic for a theist to accuse all atheists of a serious moral defect?
    I made no such accusation.

If one believes there is "no God", but there is, then by definition that one is an enemy of God.

I do not make this assertion for the purpose of being sarcastic or insulting. I am simply stating the obivious.

In addition, I do not believe atheists are moraly defective any more than theists. The only difference between the two is that one acknowledges the existence of God, and hopefully trusts in His son for eternal life, and subsequently learns how to live a life that reflects Godliness.
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    28 Oct '08 20:50
    who said anything about friends? 2 Corinthians 6:14, 'Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers. For what fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have? Or what sharing does light have with darkness? Further, what harmony is there between Christ and Belial? Or what portion does a faithful person have with an unbeliever? And what agreement does God’s temple have with idols?', now that we understand each other, how are you ?
    10 Now it happened, as Jesus sat at the table in the house, that behold, many tax collectors and sinners came and sat down with Him and His disciples. 11 And when the Pharisees saw it, they said to His disciples, “Why does your Teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?”
    12 When Jesus heard that, He said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. 10 Now it happened, as Jesus sat at the table in the house, that behold, many tax collectors and sinners came and sat down with Him and His disciples. 11 And when the Pharisees saw it, they said to His disciples, “Why does your Teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?”
    12 When Jesus heard that, He said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick.
    Matthew 9
  5. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 Oct '08 21:091 edit
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    After having been a participant on the Spirituality Forum for some time, I've noticed that about 80% of the posts that contain sarcasm and personal attacks are posted by atheists and agnostics.

I've noticed the same thing about popular books about rellgion. Books written from a non-theist perspective like The God Delusion by Richard Dawki any event, has anyone made a similar observation, or am I just chock-full-of-it (as usual)?
    Norm Giesler not only takes Atheistic and Agnostic arguments repectfully and seriosly. He also explains what contributions they have made in sharpening and perfecting Christian theology with arguments which have some amount of validity.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Oct '08 21:10
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    10 Now it happened, as Jesus sat at the table in the house, that behold, many tax collectors and sinners came and sat down with Him and His disciples. 11 And when the Pharisees saw it, they said to His disciples, “Why does your Teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?”
    12 When Jesus heard that, He said to them, “Those who are well have no nee ...[text shortened]... hem, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick.
    Matthew 9
    and your point is?
  7. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 Oct '08 21:141 edit
    And it's not insulting and sarcastic for a theist to accuse all atheists of a serious moral defect?
    Do you mean "ALL have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God?"

I thought I saw the word ALL there, meaning theists and non-theists alike.
  8. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    28 Oct '08 21:24
    Originally posted by josephw

If one believes there is "no God", but there is, then by definition that one is an enemy of God.

I do not make this assertion for the purpose of being sarcastic or insulting. I am simply stating the obivious.

In addition, I do not believe atheists are moraly defective any more than theists. The only difference between the ...[text shortened]... His son for eternal life, and subsequently learns how to live a life that reflects Godliness.
    Let's try something. If you were to run into the five most difficult persons or as you say "enemies of God" from Redhotpawn at Burger King, how would you relate to them? Can you give sort of an account of how that encounter might go from your perspective?
  9. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    28 Oct '08 22:44

In addition, I do not believe atheists are moraly defective any more than theists. The only difference between the ...[text shortened]... His son for eternal life, and subsequently learns how to live a life that reflects Godliness.
    You are simply mistaken. Someone can believe that X does not exist without being an enemy of X, even if X exists. For example, I don't believe that Zeus exists. Even if he did exist, I still wouldn't be his enemy. I don't take the Zeus issue seriously enough to be Zeus's enemy.

Usually, when someone claims that another person is an enemy of X, and that someone is very much a friend X themselves, then that someone is making an accusation. Are you implying that the term "enemy" somehow lacks evaluative connotations?

I am glad to hear that you regard theists and atheists as equally moral. It's a refreshingly charitable view.
  10. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    28 Oct '08 23:213 edits
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    After having been a participant on the Spirituality Forum for some time, I've noticed that about 80% of the posts that contain sarcasm and personal attacks are posted by atheists and agnostics.

In any event, has anyone made a similar observation, or am I just chock-full-of-it (as usual)?
    I'm wondering where you get the figure of 80% and was it arrived at objectively. Without doing the numbers against a predefined set of criteria I don't think I would like to bandy about a particular figure.

This may be a case of only noticing the ones that support our preconceived conclusion, which is something that everyone has a predeliction for.

I think it is quite possible that we are debating something based on a false premise. I suspect the real number is likely to be far closer to 50% than you think. It may even be less than that. I am sure I have seen a significant number of sarcastic comments and personal attacks going in the other direction, though I would not care to suggest what proportion.

--- Penguin.
  11. Joined
    24 Feb '07
    Moves
    29 Oct '08 02:58
    You hit the nail on the head.

The question then, is why?

Why do the atheists feel the need to be sarcastic and insulting to the theist?

The answer is because there is a God, and because they don't know God, by definition, they (atheists) are the enemy of God.

Doesn't sound like much fun, but that's the way it is.
    here here
  12. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    29 Oct '08 03:21

By the definition of what term?
  13. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    29 Oct '08 03:251 edit
    'Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers. For what fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have?

Yes, what business would an upstanding, righteous person have in extending fellowship toward those who don't share his religious beliefs (aka, the lawless). That would just be crazy.
  14. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    29 Oct '08 03:26

Huh?
  15. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    29 Oct '08 03:32
    and your point is?
    Presumably his point has to do with the fact that Jesus, though righteous by your own lights, was not above engaging in fellowship with "the lawless".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree