1. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    04 May '15 10:251 edit
    ...why atheism is the rational position. 🙂

YouTube : QualiaSoup - Lack of belief.....
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    04 May '15 10:39
    Originally posted by C Hess

[youtube QualiaSoup - Lack of belief...]sNDZb0KtJDk[/youtube]
    I haven't enough thumbs!
    Great job.
  3. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    04 May '15 10:50

Excellent post, well worth ten minutes.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 May '15 10:57
    I like how they attempt to portray this as an attack on belief of "gods" and then single out Christianity as the prime target.

We all know this is the target. It's not Islam, its not Hinduism, etc.

I also take issue with the notion that if God is perfect there is no need for worship. Why exactly is that? It seems to me that those we deem the most "perfect", naturally gain our praise and admiration. Just look at history and your cookie cutter collectivist leader to see that. How do such men gain such power? They make us believe that they know what is best for us, more so than we do.

Your little film is just one strawman after another.
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    04 May '15 11:12

This... Oh so very much This.

Thumbs Up.
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    04 May '15 11:19
    Originally posted by whodey
    I like how they attempt to portray this as an attack on belief of "gods" and then single out Christianity as the prime target.

We all know this is the target. It's not Islam, its not Hinduism, etc..
    No, the video [as well as the atheists on this forum] very explicitly don't believe any gods from any religion exist.

However, if you are an English speaker making English language videos on youtube then your prime audience
    will largely consist of those for whom the main religion they interact with [either as believers or non-believers] is
    going to be Christianity.

Just as on these forums there are very few people that are not either atheists or Christians, and so naturally the
    conversations tend to be focused around Christianity.

If however there was any significant presence of other religions here, those religions would receive more attention.

You are just too paranoid and desperate to be able to claim that you are persecuted to be able to see that.
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    04 May '15 11:312 edits
    Originally posted by whodey

We all know this is the target. It's not Islam, its not Hinduism, etc.

I also take issue with the notion that if God is perfect there is no need for worship. Why exactly is that? It seems to me that those we deem the most "pe ...[text shortened]... at is best for us, more so than we do.

Your little film is just one strawman after another.
    This is not portrayed as an attack on belief of gods (although, as googlefudge also notes, your paranoia will still make you feel you're under attack), but rather an explanation as to what atheism is and why it is the rational, default position.

I especially liked how he attempted to explain that atheism is a lack of belief in gods, rather than believing no gods exist.

And why calling atheism "faith" is not only nonsense, but actually shows the frail state of mind of the average theist, desperately wanting to make atheism seem as flawed as theism.

Also, I like how he points out that believing is gods is actually believing in what other people are telling me about gods. It's not a belief in gods, it's a belief in humans. Which in this case sounds better than it actually is. Because said belief is based on precisely nothing.

EDIT. Actually, I just like everything about this video. The ending too was great.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 May '15 11:44
    Atheism is a purely intellectual stance and as a consequence can offer nothing for its adherent. It offers no comfort, no hope, no guidance and has limited its perspective to non intelligent agencies. This is neither rational, nor reasonable, nor logical and I reject the atheists claims to such. To be truly open minded, rational, reasonable and logical, one must be prepared to assume nothing and make room for possibilities beyond the merely physical.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 May '15 11:462 edits
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    This is not portrayed as an attack on belief of gods (although, as googlefudge also notes, your paranoia will still make you feel you're under attack), but rather an explanation as to what atheism is and why it is the rational, default position.

I especially liked how he attempted to explain that atheism is a lack of belief in gods, rather than be ...[text shortened]... y nothing.

EDIT. Actually, I just like everything about this video. The ending too was great.
    wow its alike a clone zone! Ya'll reading from the same cook book! God is dead! All hail the God of science! 😵

YouTube : Superstition for my atheist f...
  10. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    04 May '15 12:03
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    wow its alike a clone zone! Ya'll reading from the same cook book! God is dead! All hail the God of science! 😵
    Atheists can not by definition believe that God is dead, Robbie. Watch the video again, please. You are still not getting it.
  11. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    04 May '15 12:03
    Atheism is a purely intellectual stance and as a consequence can offer nothing for its adherent. It offers no comfort, no hope, no guidance and has limited its perspective to non intelligent agencies. This is neither rational, nor reasonable, nor logical and I reject the atheists claims to such. To be truly open minded, rational, reasonable and log ...[text shortened]... e must be prepared to assume nothing and make room for possibilities beyond the merely physical.
    Oh! for the love of non-existent entities...

Atheism is [and everyone say this together] THE LACK OF BELIEF IN GODS.

That is it. There is nothing else.

You can believe, or lack belief, or disbelieve ANYTHING else, and you are still an atheist if you
    just lack a belief in the existence of god/s.

For most religious people [as far as I can tell] their religion and religious beliefs are [they believe]
    their founding beliefs and belief system upon which everything else is based upon. Reveal Hidden Content
    [this is not always true, or only partly true, as people can have multiple belief systems that they restrict to different areas of their lives]

They/you build up your world view from the idea that your religion is right and that your god exists
    and that that god has given commands about how people should do stuff ect ect.

Your religious belief is the place where you start from in building your world view.

So naturally you look to other peoples religious/theistic beliefs when you look at other peoples world
    views. Which is generally fine, until you hit non-religious atheists.

Because a non-religious atheist does not generally build their world view or any belief system they might hold
    FROM their atheism. Their atheism is generally a result of their belief system. Because atheism is a singular
    lack of a particular kind of belief and as such IT IS NOT A BELIEF SYSTEM ITSELF.

It is not something you 'adhere to' it hasn't limited itself to anything but a lack of belief in the existence of gods.

You can believe in afterlives, astrology, spirits, demons, UFOs, astral projections, mental telepathy, ESP, clairvoyance,
    spirit photography, telekinetic movement, full trance mediums, the Loch Ness monster and the theory of Atlantis...
    AND STILL BE AN ATHEIST.

And you have been told the same too many times for you ignorance on this topic to be anything other than
    intentional and malicious.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 May '15 12:05
    Atheists can not by definition believe that God is dead, Robbie. Watch the video again, please. You are still not getting it.
    Sigh no its you that is not getting it, the term God is dead did not and does not mean that God is literally dead. It means that there is no longer any need for God because rationality has allegedly prevailed.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 May '15 12:07
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Oh! for the love of non-existent entities...

Atheism is [and everyone say this together] [b]THE LACK OF BELIEF IN GODS

That is it. There is nothing else.

You can believe, or lack belief, or disbelieve ANYTHING else, and you are still an atheist if you
    just lack a belief in the existence of god/s.

For most religious people [as far as I ...[text shortened]... any times for you ignorance on this topic to be anything other than
    intentional and malicious.[/b]
    Its an intellectual stance and is entirely a belief system, you cannot escape the fact no matter how you rile. I have already posted copious heaps of text demonstrating why its a belief system. You need not acquiesce, but it is what it is.
  14. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    04 May '15 12:081 edit
    Atheism is a purely intellectual stance and as a consequence can offer nothing for its adherent. It offers no comfort, no hope, no guidance and has limited its perspective to non intelligent agencies. This is neither rational, nor reasonable, nor logical and I reject the atheists claims to such. To be truly open minded, rational, reasonable and log ...[text shortened]... e must be prepared to assume nothing and make room for possibilities beyond the merely physical.
    You are correct.
    Let that sink in for a moment. It happens so rarely.

It indeed offers no comfort, no hope and no guidance. It is no more than an absence of belief in gods. Even if that thought makes one deeply depressed, atheism is still the rational, default position. Being an atheist does not bring with it the question "does this make me (un)happy?" It is not relevant.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 May '15 12:09
    You are correct.
    Let that sink in for a moment. It happens so rarely.

It indeed offers no comfort, no hope and no guidance. It is no more than an absence of belief in gods. Even if that thought makes one deeply depressed, ...[text shortened]... atheist does that bring with it the question "does this make me (un)happy?" It is not relevant.
    Its not a default position, there is no such thing as a default position, you simply made that up. If anything the default position is to assume absolutely nothing.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree