1. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    04 May '15 12:11
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Its not a default position, there is no such thing as a default position, you simply made that up. If anything the default position is to assume absolutely nothing.
    Atheism does not assume gods do not exist. Atheism is a lack of belief in gods. There are no assumptions being made.
  2. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    04 May '15 12:13
    Sigh no its you that is not getting it, the term God is dead did not and does not mean that God is literally dead. It means that there is no longer any need for God because rationality has allegedly prevailed.
    Well, just say that then.

Yes, atheism is the rational position. Theism is irrational. Seems we are in agreement.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 May '15 12:161 edit
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Atheism does not assume gods do not exist. Atheism is a lack of belief in gods. There are no assumptions being made.
    See its a purely intellectual stance and as you say is a belief, like any other. Please tell googly woogly, he is in denial.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 May '15 12:18
    Well, just say that then.

Yes, atheism is the rational position. Theism is irrational. Seems we are in agreement.
    On the contrary its hardly rational to limit ones perspective to purely unintelligent agencies or a disbelief.
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    04 May '15 12:30
    See its a purely intellectual stance and as you say is a belief, like any other. Please tell googly woogly, he is in denial.
    No, it is a lack of belief. It is not a belief. It is a lack of belief. Repeating it doesn't make it true.

I do enjoy how you are once again trying to weaken our position by saying "you are just like us". That always amuses me.
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    04 May '15 12:32
    On the contrary its hardly rational to limit ones perspective to purely unintelligent agencies or a disbelief.
    It is rational to not assume the existence of beings for which there is no prove.

Or would you call it rational also to assume the existence of The Flying Spaghetti Monster?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 May '15 12:48
    No, it is a lack of belief. It is not a belief. It is a lack of belief. Repeating it doesn't make it true.

I do enjoy how you are once again trying to weaken our position by saying "you are just like us". That always amuses me.
    If its an intellectual stance and thus a belief in the non existence of deities whether you like it or not. Simply calling it a lack of belief does not negate this and is simply a rather transparent semantic argument.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 May '15 12:531 edit
    It is rational to not assume the existence of beings for which there is no prove.

Or would you call it rational also to assume the existence of The Flying Spaghetti Monster?
    For which you say there is no proof, to the theist there is ample proof. He only needs to examine the physical universe and perceive Gods qualities by the things made. Harmony, majesty, power, wisdom. He only needs to read his Holy book and perceive the personality of a deity. He only needs to look at himself and perceive that he is endowed with the senses and an environment which delights those senses. Will he put these coincidences down to unintelligent agencies and some chance occurrence? Hardly! to do so is neither reasonable nor logical nor rational.

Your flying spaghetti monster therefore is so far removed from what the theist experiences as to render it a false analogy.
  9. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    04 May '15 12:54
    If its an intellectual stance and thus a belief in the non existence of deities whether you like it or not. Simply calling it a lack of belief does not negate this and is simply a rather transparent semantic argument.
    There's no belief in the non-existence of deities. I'm an atheist and I freely accept that there might be a god or gods.
  10. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    04 May '15 12:54
    Its not a default position, there is no such thing as a default position, you simply made that up. If anything the default position is to assume absolutely nothing.
    YES!

The default position is to assume nothing, to lack a belief in whatever proposition is
    being proposed until sufficient reason is given to start believing one way or the other.

The default position IS lack of belief.

Atheism IS the lack of belief in gods.

Atheism IS the default position.
  11. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    04 May '15 12:55
    Atheism is a purely intellectual stance and as a consequence can offer nothing for its adherent. It offers no comfort, no hope, no guidance and has limited its perspective to non intelligent agencies. This is neither rational, nor reasonable, nor logical and I reject the atheists claims to such. To be truly open minded, rational, reasonable and log ...[text shortened]... e must be prepared to assume nothing and make room for possibilities beyond the merely physical.
    Says the man who had to confess to being closed-minded and ignorant. The irony.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 May '15 12:59
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    There's no belief in the non-existence of deities. I'm an atheist and I freely accept that there might be a god or gods.
    do you believe that your intellectual stance is correct? that you have found no compelling evidence for the existence of deities? then you are not an atheist, you are an agnostic.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 May '15 13:00
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Says the man who had to confess to being closed-minded and ignorant. The irony.
    I have since revised my stance, but hey times change and people change, but don't let stop you from living in the past.
  14. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    04 May '15 13:012 edits
    do you believe that your intellectual stance is correct? that you have found no compelling evidence for the existence of deities? then you are not an atheist, you are an agnostic.
    You didn't watch the video. You should. At the risk of repeating it for the thousandth time, atheism is the state of not believing in a god or gods, not the state of believing there is/are no god or gods.

Do I believe my intellectual stance is correct? No, it's just my opinion.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 May '15 13:031 edit
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    YES!

The default position is to assume nothing, to lack a belief in whatever proposition is
    being proposed until sufficient reason is given to start believing one way or the other.

The default position IS lack of belief.

Atheism IS the lack of belief in gods.

Atheism IS the default position.
    Te default position is to make room for everything including the supernatural. To default to a position which denies on the basis that there is no compelling evidence is limiting and displays a bias.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree