And now...

And now...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
06 May 15

Originally posted by Dasa
There is nothing rational about this position.

It is not the rational position but instead the lazy ignorant mans position.

Referring to the man who is ignorant because he is too insincere and lazy to to do what is necessary to enlighten himself about the true nature of God and Self.

He is "soooo" insincere and lazy he cannot be bothered to apply true ...[text shortened]... urd notion that everything has come about by a random accidental big-bluff ( sorry I mean bang.)
Eh, i have a BA Honours Degree in Theology and spent half my life exploring religion and philosophy. Does that make me a lazy atheist, someone who has done zero to understand true knowledge?

The truth is, your own position is the lazy one; the ignorant one. Far easier to dismiss atheists with such an argument then to contemplate that they have arrived at their position after considerable reasoning and soul searching. (I use the word 'soul' purely in the figurative sense).

To lump all atheists together in such a generalized understanding is laughable, as is your understanding of the 'randomness' of the big bang.

Turnip.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
06 May 15

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
Eh, i have a BA Honours Degree in Theology and spent half my life exploring religion and philosophy. Does that make me a lazy atheist, someone who has done zero to understand true knowledge?

The truth is, your own position is the lazy one; the ignorant one. Far easier to dismiss atheists with such an argument then to contemplate that they have arr ...[text shortened]... rstanding is laughable, as is your understanding of the 'randomness' of the big bang.

Turnip.
But have you studies the Vedic writings and their interpretations? If so, then tell us some of what is wrong so that Dasa can defend it.

Moves
06 May 15

Originally posted by RJHinds
I believe that truth is found in the Holy Bible and you believe it is in the Vedic writings and the atheist and agnotic do not accept absolute truth, but believe it changes as man's knowledge increases.
Deist
Theist
Polytheist

These are positions of beliefs. You are a theist with regards to christ.

Atheist

This means you reject belief claims. You are an atheist with regards to Thor.

Agnostic

To say you're an agnostic is to say you don't think it's possible to know anything about the supernatural, but you may still believe something about its existence. Agnostic theism is quite possible.

Whether or not some absolute truth exists is a different topic entirely, and being agnostic about it doesn't necessarily mean you're in the undecided middle ground.

So these labels say next to nothing about a persons point of view without the context in which they're used. This is one of the points made in the OP video.

If I tell you I'm an agnostic atheist, you don't really know what I'm an agnostic atheist about, allthough (given our shared cultural context) it's not unreasonable to assume that I'm agnostic with regards to christianity. But you'd be wrong. When it comes to the god of the bible I'm not an agnostic atheist, just an atheist. I'm only an agnostic about the possibility of some undefined kind of supernatural reality.

Cape Town

Moves
06 May 15

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Except African football players who cannot but help give glory to God by pointing at the sky every goal that they score and who cross themselves upon entering the field of play and leaving it 😀
Did you read my post? It doesn't look like it given your response.

rc

Moves
06 May 15
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
Did you read my post? It doesn't look like it given your response.
I read it dude but sometimes I get these thoughts flooding through my mind. They are not always readily discernible to other people. 😀

rc

Moves
06 May 15

Originally posted by Suzianne
I'll give a look tomorrow if I have time. Past my bedtime now.
better go quickly before you turn from a pumpkin back into a beautiful princess. 😵

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
06 May 15

Originally posted by RJHinds
But have you studies the Vedic writings and their interpretations? If so, then tell us some of what is wrong so that Dasa can defend it.
All 'religious' writings, no matter how interesting or well written (and yes i have studied the Vedas) are still something written by man, nothing more. As an atheist, what else would you expect me to say?

rc

Moves
06 May 15

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
All 'religious' writings, no matter how interesting or well written (and yes i have studied the Vedas) are still something written by man, nothing more. As an atheist, what else would you expect me to say?
I would like to hear your thoughts or anyone else for that matter than can explain what they think has been the catalyst for the quite serious demise in the influence of religious teaching in not only communities but individuals throughout northern Europe.

Cape Town

Moves
06 May 15

I read it dude but sometimes I get these thoughts flooding through my mind. They are not always readily discernible to other people. 😀
Try cutting down on the home made wine.

Moves
06 May 15

I would like to hear your thoughts or anyone else for that matter than can explain what they think has been the catalyst for the quite serious demise in the influence of religious teaching in not only communities but individuals throughout northern Europe.
The enlightenment.

Cape Town

Moves
06 May 15

I put it down to a combination of education and the particular brand of religion they had. I think education reduces religiosity significantly and has done so everywhere.
I also think that religions that have become more cultural and political than religious are more susceptible to the losses due to education. A significant proportion of people that went to Church in the UK 50 years ago, did so for purely cultural reasons. That their children didn't follow in their footsteps is more a cultural change than a religious one.
Christianity was in Europe so long that it ceased to need evangelism (at least the more established denominations) and thus it relied heavily on people being brought up in the religion.
The US denominations have much stronger evangelistic tendencies and so have managed to survive a bit better. However, I predict that as education in the US improves, religiosity will decline.
Its quite interesting that in this forum the atheists are almost all educated in the sciences in stark contrast to most of the theists who are not. I am sure there are theists that are educated in the sciences, but one wonders why very few such participate in this forum. Does a science education change how evangelical you are?

rc

Moves
06 May 15

Try cutting down on the home made wine.
I don't drink wine, i make beer and its not very strong, average ABV is about 5%

rc

Moves
06 May 15

Originally posted by googlefudge
The enlightenment.
No i don't think that was enough after all there were many religious people willing to take up science for the sake of understanding their religion better, like Newton who sought in his science to get an insight into the workings of the creator. Historically also even after the so called enlightenment people were quite religious. It seems to have been a modern phenomena, I would say at the beginning of the 20th century.

rc

Moves
06 May 15
1 edit

I put it down to a combination of education and the particular brand of religion they had. I think education reduces religiosity significantly and has done so everywhere.
I also think that religions that have become more cultural and political than religious are more susceptible to the losses due to education. A significant proportion of people that went ...[text shortened]... ery few such participate in this forum. Does a science education change how evangelical you are?
This is demonstrably false. There are literally hundreds perhaps even thousands of well educated theists. There are also not a few very well educated persons who were originally atheistic and who later upon reflection abandoned it and became religious. No i don't think levels of education has anything to do with it, or not significantly so. I am much more inclined to agree that its a cultural phenomena though.

Cape Town

Moves
06 May 15

I don't drink wine, i make beer and its not very strong, average ABV is about 5%
Well I know that as a non-materialist you don't believe in mind altering substances, but something is clearly messing with your brain and I suggest you look into it.