1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    25 Mar '14 23:22
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    People have been following the commandments of Christ even before He arrived. and even without knowing who He is. It does not matter whether the Messiah was Jesus of Nazareth or some other character.
    Can you point out where Jesus Himself taught that it didn't matter WHO the Messiah was ?

Explain why He told the Pharisees that they would die in their sins unless they believed that He was Who He taught He was ?

"Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins." (John 8:24)

Where is the hint in your teaching that it does not matter if the Messiah were Jesus or some other character ?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Mar '14 01:02
    Originally posted by menace71
    Who was (is) Jesus ? A real person ? A prophet or wise man? A Spiritual being ? Was he a son of God ? Or the one and only Son of God ? Is He God (the trinity) ? Was He flesh and Blood like the rest of us ?
    To me Jesus was a maverick Jewish preacher who lived about 2,000 years ago who probably advocated a less austere brand of Judaism but who was virtually unknown during his lifetime.

Decades after his death, some leading figures among his admirers and followers wrote versions of his life story (called Gospels) and collected writings about themselves (e.g. letters between congregations of followers).

This compilation was named the "New Testament", which was meticulously linked back by its writers to various Hebrew literature, and it became the scriptural basis for a breakaway religion called Christianity.

Jesus was executed in his mid-30s but the only reason given for this is in the account written by people who were trying to set up a religion based around his alleged divinity.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    26 Mar '14 01:28
    [i]Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
    (Matthew ...[text shortened]... sion is Matthew Chapters 5, 6 and 7 - The Beatitudes. Its all about love, charity and good works
    So Jesus's commandments:
    1. Love god.
    2. Love each other.

anything else?
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Mar '14 01:36
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    So Jesus's commandments:
    1. Love god.
    2. Love each other.

anything else?
    On those two hang all the law and the prophets. That means that everything revolves around loving God and your neighbour as yourself.

ANything else? I thought I answered that.- Matt 5, 6 and 7. Do you want me to paste it here?🙂
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    26 Mar '14 01:49
    On those two hang all the law and the prophets. That means that everything revolves around loving God and your neighbour as yourself.

ANything else? I thought I answered that.- Matt 5, 6 and 7. Do you want me to paste it here?🙂
    No thanks!
    Just wanted your distillation of his teachings.

It doesn't boil down to very much does it?

I mean; forget all the virgin birth stuff, miracles and resurrection.
    (Let's pretend they are true for a moment)
    What did he actually teach? ... Be nice to eachother and worship my dad.
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Mar '14 01:58
    No thanks!

You obviously did not read Matt 5, 6 and 7.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Mar '14 02:164 edits
    The thing that I like about Jesus is that he did not write about himself because it leads to bias. Also he talked in parables and made people think. He even asked his disciples who he was instead of telling them outright. Then when Peter guessed who he was, he told him that the Father had revealed this to him. He then forbad his disciples from telling anyone, otherwise the religious leaders would have tried to immediately kill him.

And we are in the same boat with Peter and his disciples some 2000 years later. Who do you say that Jesus is? Only the Father can reveal it to us.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Mar '14 02:42
    Originally posted by whodey
    The thing that I like about Jesus is that he did not write about himself because it leads to bias.
    Nobody wrote about Jesus except for a group of people trying to establish a religion centred around him.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Mar '14 03:38
    Originally posted by FMF
    Nobody wrote about Jesus except for a group of people trying to establish a religion centred around him.
    Yes.

The greater question becomes, why did they want to do it?

What say you?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Mar '14 03:41
    Originally posted by whodey
    Yes.

The greater question becomes, why did they want to do it?

What say you?
    They were trying to establish a breakaway religion centred around him.
  11. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    26 Mar '14 04:07
    Originally posted by menace71
    Who was (is) Jesus ? A real person ? A prophet or wise man? A Spiritual being ? Was he a son of God ? Or the one and only Son of God ? Is He God (the trinity) ? Was He flesh and Blood like the rest of us ?

Manny
    Jesus was a man.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Mar '14 04:13
    Maybe the OSAS doctrine has dulled your understanding of Christ and his teachings.
    Insults so early in the thread, good work.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Mar '14 04:182 edits
    Maybe the OSAS doctrine has dulled your understanding of Christ and his teachings.
    You said that all that matters is that people follow his (Jesus) commands. You then said in reply to me that it doesn't matter if he was just a carpenter (ie not gods son etc) as "anyone" could be the messiah. I pointed out that this would mean if someone else was the messiah (let's call him Brian) then all the people would not be following Jesus commands, they would following someone else's. Eg Brian's.

Then you suggested my understanding was dulled.

Good thinking.
  14. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    26 Mar '14 04:32
    No thanks!

"Be nice to each other" is a bit too simplistic. Most people don't include things like "do good to those who hate you" under the category of "being nice".
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Mar '14 04:41
    I like how this thread title get bright orange highlighters at the top each page of posts. It does on my holy iPad anyway.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree