1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    13 Jan '15 04:40
    Using verses out of context is common for Christians. They do it either because of selfishness or because they've realized the bible is a relic.

For example, Christians, who have the highest divorce rates out of any group of people, use verses about God being forgiving to negate biblical teachings about not marrying divorced women. Or, they'll simply undermine the bible with "it's just an allegory" when faced with the fact that science disproved the Creation story, or to fend off criticism about sexism or homophobia.

There's no "confusion". The problem comes when the bible clashes with the personal desires of Christians, or with their modern sensibilities.
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    13 Jan '15 08:52
    Originally posted by vivify
    Ever heard of context? See, what you did was post a verse out of context in order to try to prove me wrong. However, the surrounding context makes that verse clear. That's all it takes to interpret any text: context.
    Seriously prove yourself right, I'm not in it to prove you wrong as far as
    I'm concern a vision was taking place and could have been a real event that
    was being seen, which is one thing, if not the reality of it is up in the air.

If real they had to be angels, if a vision not based upon real events doesn't
    matter.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    13 Jan '15 09:39
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Just by looking you know? You and the Pope I guess are the two that
    all the world should go to for what scripture means?
    You and the Pope I guess are the two that
    all the world should go to for what scripture means!
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    13 Jan '15 14:47
    Seriously prove yourself right, I'm not in it to prove you wrong as far as
    I'm concern a vision was taking place and could have been a real event that
    was being seen, which is one thing, if not the reality of it is up in the air.

If real they had to be angels, if a vision not based upon real events doesn't
    matter.
    I posted points using the surrounding context of your verse in order to prove I was right. What more do you need? I've already proven myself right with text that clearly and rationally support what I've said. If you want to argue against text that outright say he was seeing visions that symbolized things, be my guest.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Jan '15 06:02
    Originally posted by roigam
    As an angel Jesus has no gender.
    Have got any Biblical scripture at all that supports this claim?
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    14 Jan '15 09:18
    I posted points using the surrounding context of your verse in order to prove I was right. What more do you need? I've already proven myself right with text that clearly and rationally support what I've said. If you want to argue against text that outright say he was seeing visions that symbolized things, be my guest.
    I'm quite sure between your ears you are right, that doesn't make it so
    with everyone else. I've read the full context and I'm not sure you've
    proven your point. It doesn't matter one way or another as far as I'm
    concern, if there are female or just male angels it matters not.
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    14 Jan '15 15:51
    I'm quite sure between your ears you are right, that doesn't make it so
    with everyone else. I've read the full context and I'm not sure you've
    proven your point. It doesn't matter one way or another as far as I'm
    concern, if there are female or just male angels it matters not.
    Here's the thing. What you say only has merit if you can show WHY the text should be interpreted differently. Simply stating that you're "not sure" if I'm correct or not is worthless. I made a sound, rational argument using text that clearly illustrated your passage was full of visions of metaphors. You've offered nothing.

So this hand-waving thing you're doing is cute, but holds no weight in a discussion.
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    14 Jan '15 16:20
    Here's the thing. What you say only has merit if you can show WHY the text should be interpreted differently. Simply stating that you're "not sure" if I'm correct or not is worthless. I made a sound, rational argument using text that clearly illustrated your passage was full of visions of metaphors. You've offered nothing.

So this hand-waving thing you're doing is cute, but holds no weight in a discussion.
    If I see it as an event that was shown to someone that means they were
    real, if real than what were they? You dismiss the event as real, so your
    view has it as whatever it is you want it to be, so you cannot be wrong.
  9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    14 Jan '15 16:43
    If I see it as an event that was shown to someone that means they were
    real, if real than what were they? You dismiss the event as real, so your
    view has it as whatever it is you want it to be, so you cannot be wrong.
    Like I said, if you can show using the text in that chapter why you believe that, then your argument would have at least some weight. Because you failed to do this, there's no reason to consider your argument as valid. I at least provided rational and thorough support for what I said.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Jan '15 11:25

I love schooling Christians on their own book.
    Why is that vivify ?

What is it you love about schooling Christians on their own book?
    What does it do for you?
  11. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    16 Jan '15 15:03
    Originally posted by sonship
    Why is that vivify ?

What is it you love about schooling Christians on their own book?
    What does it do for you?
    Because Christians (especially Catholics) largely don't even read their bible. They often defend their faith based on ignorance, and it's irritating. Not knowing their bible in of itself isn't bad, but it's the arrogance behind it that bothers me. KellyJay seemed to have posted his "female angel" text with a "gotcha" kind of vibe to it, rather than a spirit of discussion. Had he simply just said that he thought I was incorrect, and said "here's why", posting his text with the humility Christians are supposed to have, there would've been no problem.
  12. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    16 Jan '15 19:26
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    In particular where does this occur?
    Where are the corners?
    that is actually a great question, "where are the corners? " .
  13. Joined
    21 Nov '08
    Moves
    17 Jan '15 08:45
    For example, Christians, who have the highest divorce rates out of any group of people, use verses about God being forgiving to negate biblical teachings about not marrying divorced women.
    I question your knowledge of the divorce rates. Not everybody is probably telling the truth. Then you don't adjust for any correlated factors. To divulge sensitive knowledge without reason is also imprudent. Even in their aggregated form those numbers are far unreliable.

In Holy Scripture, Jesus divinely reproved the prostitute who misrepresented her husbands. Maybe you are right, but we do not know why she sought remarriage and whether she was getting one person to covet another or not.

Now, is angels referred to as celestial beings?
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    17 Jan '15 11:031 edit
    Because Christians (especially Catholics) largely don't even read their bible. They often defend their faith based on ignorance, and it's irritating. Not knowing their bible in of itself isn't bad, but it's the arrogance behind it that bothers me. KellyJay seemed to have posted his "female angel" text with a "gotcha" kind of vibe to it, rather than a spirit ...[text shortened]... ting his text with the humility Christians are supposed to have, there would've been no problem.
    Gotcha kind of vibe?
    I entered the conversation not sure what you mean by gotcha vibe.
  15. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    17 Jan '15 15:02
    Originally posted by Of Ants and Imps

In Holy Scripture, Jesus divinely reproved the prostitute who misrepresented her husbands. Maybe you are right, but we do not know why she sought remarriage and whether she was getting one person to covet another or not.

Now, is angels referred to as celestial beings?
    I don't blame her or anybody, even Christians, for seeking remarriage after they are divorced. What bothers me is when they try make up their own doctrine to make themselves seem like what they're doing is approved by the bible. Such a move smacks of hypocrisy to me. I'd respect a Christian who simply admitted that their desire to remarry in a way prohibited by the bible was too strong.

Regarding angels, yeah, I guess.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree