Another notch against creationists:

Another notch against creationists:

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
05 Mar 15

http://phys.org/news/2015-03-nasa-ames-blocks-life-laboratory.html

This goes way beyond the Miller-Urey experiments.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
05 Mar 15

Originally posted by sonhouse

If they succeed in creating life do you think that will support or detract from the concept of creation?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
05 Mar 15

Originally posted by divegeester
If they succeed in creating life do you think that will support or detract from the concept of creation?
Creating life in the lab would prove you don't need a deity to make life. That in turn would mean the possibility of life elsewhere in the solar system and the universe goes up exponentially.

We THINK life will show up anywhere there is a halfway decent environment for life to develop, like early Mars or maybe the deep oceans of Europa or Titan.

The main question I would love to see answered, if we find such life, say on Titan, even microbes, is it based on our form of DNA? Every life form we have found on Earth has the same fundamental structure, our twisted ladder line of DNA.

Maybe other independently evolved life could have totally different structures such as a triangular ladder line or a cubical ladder line or something totally different. And what molecules it would use for energy and would it use photosynthesis and so forth, the kind of reproductive process it uses, sexual, non-sexual, etc..

Cape Town

Moves
05 Mar 15

Originally posted by divegeester
I don't think it would have any major effect. Theists tend to simply take evidence in their stride either denying it or adjusting their beliefs to fit.

Cape Town

Moves
05 Mar 15

Creating life in the lab would prove you don't need a deity to make life. That in turn would mean the possibility of life elsewhere in the solar system and the universe goes up exponentially.
What? You actually think the current likelihood of life elsewhere in the universe is contained by the possibility that deities are required to make life? That's nonsense.

Every life form we have found on Earth has the same fundamental structure, our twisted ladder line of DNA.
Mostly because that's all we ever look for. If there are other life forms that are not multicellular and not particularly prolific, we probably wont notice them.

rain

Moves
05 Mar 15

Creating life in the lab would prove you don't need a deity to make life..
I think creationists would just use it as "evidence" that intelligence is needed for life.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
05 Mar 15
3 edits

Originally posted by twhitehead
What? You actually think the current likelihood of life elsewhere in the universe is contained by the possibility that deities are required to make life? That's nonsense.

[b]Every life form we have found on Earth has the same fundamental structure, our twisted ladder line of DNA.

Mostly because that's all we ever look for. If there are other life forms that are not multicellular and not particularly prolific, we probably wont notice them.[/b]
I think you meant 'constrained by the the possibility' etc. I was just taking devils advocate on the side of creationists. I think no such thing. I think life formed with no help needed by a deity and that life is in profusion in the rest of the universe.

To think we are the only life form in the universe is ludicrous considering even in our own galaxy there are literally hundreds of billions of stars and even if life was only found on one in a million planets, that would still be like having life show up on one in one hundred thousand stars since most stars have multiple planets that exercise puts life on one million planets in our galaxy alone.

And even if the rules say you can only have one living planet in an entire galaxy, that also means, since there are also hundreds of billions of galaxies, at that rate only, there would be also hundreds of billions of planets with life forms on them of one sort or another scattered about in our universe.

Well we haven't found anything but twisted ladder logic DNA so far, obviously doesn't prove something else exists even here on Earth but the evidence gets smaller for such life forms with each passing decade.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
05 Mar 15

This is no different from the discovery of DNA. It just gives an idea of how God might have done it. It in no way show that life could have formed on its own without intelligent imput from God.

O

Moves
05 Mar 15

Seriously?????? Since when has evidence had anything to do with creationism??????

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
05 Mar 15

Originally posted by RJHinds
This is no different from the discovery of DNA. It just gives an idea of how God might have done it. It in no way show that life could have formed on its own without intelligent imput from God.
I would really love to see the look on your face as you rub off the egg when they put it all together and make life from chemicals.

Of course at that point you would just move the goalposts and say, "See, I TOLD YOU SO, it takes intelligence to create life".

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
05 Mar 15

We THINK life will show up anywhere there is a halfway decent environment for life to develop, like early Mars or maybe the deep oceans of Europa or Titan.

The ...[text shortened]... photosynthesis and so forth, the kind of reproductive process it uses, sexual, non-sexual, etc..
They did not create life in the lab, so forget about it. 😏

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
05 Mar 15

I would really love to see the look on your face as you rub off the egg when they put it all together and make life from chemicals.

Of course at that point you would just move the goalposts and say, "See, I TOLD YOU SO, it takes intelligence to create life".
It is just more proof that man was created in the image of God just like the Holy Bible records. Among the animal kingdom there is not one that shows the creative ability that even approaches that of man. 😏

O

Moves
05 Mar 15

It is just more proof that man was created in the image of God just like the Holy Bible records. Among the animal kingdom there is not one that shows the creative ability that even approaches that of man. 😏
Bowerbird, Termites ,Lion hunting tactics etc.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
05 Mar 15

They did not create life in the lab, so forget about it. 😏
So, you can breath a sigh of relief for now. Just wait, you will have the proverbial egg on your face eventually.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
05 Mar 15
1 edit

The ...[text shortened]... photosynthesis and so forth, the kind of reproductive process it uses, sexual, non-sexual, etc..
Hold on a minute, does it? The molecules are meant to be formed in space. So they haven't produced evidence that they can be formed on Earth. This means that the molecules have to get to Earth in large amounts without being destroyed. Since this implies a collision to me, the likelihood is that any such molecule would be destroyed during the collision. So the theists can argue that it is in fact evidence for the necessity of God to protect the molecules.

Sorry to spoil the party, but I'm always unimpressed by these "life started in space" arguments as the process of getting it here has a high chance of killing it. From the article the process depends on ultra-violet, so I don't see any strong reason why it shouldn't work on an early Earth since there won't have been an oxone layer then - that depends on photosynthesis. If their discovery could be replicated in a plausible early Earth environment I think it would weaken the theistic necessity claim, but otherwise I don't think that it does.