1. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    21 Nov '08 01:25
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Swiss gambit dude, look at this text and tell me what Christ is advocating

'And Pharisees came up to him, intent on tempting him and saying: “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife on every sort of ground?” In reply he said: “Did YOU not read that he who created them from [the] beginning made them male and female and said, ‘For this reason a ...[text shortened]... t one flesh. Therefore, what God has yoked together let no man put apart.” - Matthew 19 verse 3
    He's advocating for married couples not to divorce.

As for the creation part, that is a sidebar to his main point, but it does not contradict evolution. Evolution is not a theory about the beginning of life - it is only a theory about the transition of life from one form to another.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Nov '08 04:481 edit
    Swiss gambit dude, look at this text and tell me what Christ is advocating

'And Pharisees came up to him, intent on tempting him and saying: “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife on every sort of ground?” In reply he said: “Did YOU not read that he who created them from [the] beginning made them male and female and said, ‘For this reason a ...[text shortened]... t one flesh. Therefore, what God has yoked together let no man put apart.” - Matthew 19 verse 3
    Your anti-evolutionary stance boils down to one thing, and one thing only: words. Words in a 2000 year old text that you don't even know has been translated correctly, not that that matters because they didn't know squat about the real world, only the fantasies they made up and you fell for it hook line and sinker. You emote scepticism like a the air that froths up from the local garbage dump, ignoring 200 years of work by people ten times smarter than you will ever be. You claim to have read all the evidence and you can't even see you are so blinded by your excursion into the christian scam you can't properly evaluate that which you have already read. As if you had multiple PHD's in palentology, anthropology, archeology and biophysics and therefore are a world renouned expert who has contrary views. No indeed, you have nothing but words, thats what it boils down to. Science has 200 years of extremely intelligent dudes and dudettes making very careful analysis and the fact that it flies in the face of your false religion, your religion of death, means you totally reject all that work by people so much more intelligent than you, you can't even begin to imagine how much more intelligent they are. So you fall back on words, words, and more words with not a lick of reason behind them.
    In your world, you castigate the one real gift of humanity, reason. You subjugate reason to dogma. Shame on you for self lobotomizing your brain.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 Nov '08 05:03
    Originally posted by josephw
    Yes. I have to agree. Lying is not Christian. So, why do you ask?

Do you know for a fact that someone who calls himself a Christian is deliberately lying?
    Yes, I have in the past had Christians admit to me that they were arguing against evolution using facts they knew to be false.

I am curious though to what extent some of the posters on this forum realize that they are claiming falsehoods and how they justify such behavior to themselves when they do realize or suspect it.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Nov '08 07:21
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Yes, I have in the past had Christians admit to me that they were arguing against evolution using facts they knew to be false.

I am curious though to what extent some of the posters on this forum realize that they are claiming falsehoods and how they justify such behavior to themselves when they do realize or suspect it.
    I think that is false, who told you they were arguing using facts they
    knew were false? Name names, and show us the quotes!
    Kelly
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 Nov '08 08:01
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I think that is false, who told you they were arguing using facts they
    knew were false? Name names, and show us the quotes!
    Kelly
    I did not say people on this site. My brother in law is one example of a creationist I know who has admitted to arguing against evolution using facts he knew to be false.

You on the other hand will never admit being wrong. Even when you essentially do admit it, you will not say the words "I was wrong".
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    21 Nov '08 08:16

as is clearly shown by the reference Christ is quoting from the book of genesis (genesis chapter 5 v 2 to be precise), which he not only believed but upheld its integrity in the face of opposition, and taught others to do the same also, therefore it is inconceivable that a Christian should apostatize and turn away from what Christ himself taught! advocating evolution and being a christian are therefore completely incompatible!
    Maybe Christ just sucked at science. His achievements in that field were negligible, after all.

Alternatively, he could have been bamboozling the Pharisees. After all, they were out to get him. Nothing like hoisting someone with their own petard.
  7. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    21 Nov '08 08:37

why was evolution so widely accepted, simply because it was the first non theistic theory that was plausible, not because it was scientific! and we know how them bad ol putty cat atheists don't dig our theism.
    Pity that many Christians don't dismiss evolutionary theory, eh. Mendel, for example.

Popper: "I have come to the conclusion that Darwinism is not a testable scientific theory, but a metaphysical research programme---a possible framework for testable scientific theories. "

He's talking specifically about Darwin's theory of natural selection, not modern evolutionary theory (which is a theoretical compound). And it's clear he thinks Darwin's thought has worth. After all, "All scientific theories are conjectures, even those that have successfully passed many and varied tests" (Popper).

Your method of performing logical surgery on an unnatural selection of quotes to make them fit the Procrustean bed of your intransigent belief system is disingenuous, to say the least.

By the way -- if Jesus knew in advance all the scientific discoveries that would ever be made, yet failed to apply his knowledge -- wouldn't that make him something of a fraud -- an actor, at the very least?

I assume, too, that you believe in the literal existence of demons. Not that I have a problem with that; I just need confirmation.
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    21 Nov '08 08:54
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Pity that many Christians don't dismiss evolutionary theory, eh. Mendel, for example.

Popper: "I have come to the conclusion that Darwinism is not a testable scientific theory, but a metaphysical research programme---a possible framework for testable scientific theories. "

He's talking specifically about Darwin's theory of natural selection, not ...[text shortened]... al existence of demons. Not that I have a problem with that; I just need confirmation.
    i fail to remember where did jesus made any scientific claim. his message was about morals not science.

i could be wrong. maybe there is a passage in the bible that says jesus said the earth was 6000 years old.

jesus came to earth to tell us to be nice to each other. that's it. no scientific breakthroughs.
  9. Joined
    17 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Nov '08 08:55
    A loyal defender of Darwinian evolution, Dobzhansky, according to Francisco J. Ayala "was a religious man". Dobzhansky himself spoke of God as creating through evolution

just to put the record straight on Dobzhansky.
  10. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    21 Nov '08 08:58
    Originally posted by twhitehead

it can be argued that those are not christians. it isn't sufficient to say "i believe in Christ" to be a christian. one has to act like it as well.

the psycho who blows himself up in a hospital or whatever may claim he is a muslim. he is not.

torquemada may have claimed he was christian, he was nothing more than a sadistic psycho.
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 Nov '08 08:58
    warning! warning!, no one is not pro science! the bible and science are completely compatible, its not science that is the issue but that evolution is unscientific!
    No no, no way. Read the few first verses of the genisis and instanltly you can find several things that is not supported by today's observations.

You have to interprete heavily or dismiss much of the established science if you want this equation to work.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 Nov '08 09:02
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Point is, I don't think they need to reject Genesis either. They just can't read it literally.
    Agree. The story of Genisis are not written for the people of today. It's written, as a documentary, what people thought thousands of years ago.

Science has progressed, but the genisis has not changed. It's time to rewrite the genesis, and has actually already done. It's a pity that EY creationists hasn't discovered this.
  13. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    21 Nov '08 09:02
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    i fail to remember where did jesus made any scientific claim. his message was about morals not science.

i could be wrong. maybe there is a passage in the bible that says jesus said the earth was 6000 years old.

jesus came to earth to tell us to be nice to each other. that's it. no scientific breakthroughs.
    Obviously. But robbiecarrobie made some scientific claims on behalf of Jesus, namely that he endorsed the creationist view by quoting Genesis at the Pharisees.
  14. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    21 Nov '08 09:29
    if i may be permitted to quote some eminent minds on this subject, for example famous evolutionist Theodosius Dobzhansky who was not so dogmatic as one might imagine, for in his book evolution, he and his coworkers described evolution as a hypothesis or theory and made this admission: '[b]scientific hypotheses can only be accepted provisionally, sinc ...[text shortened]... t was scientific! and we know how them bad ol putty cat atheists don't dig our theism.
    err is anyone home?

by your arguments how is creationism any better than evolution? your arguments at most say that evolution might not be a complete theory and must be improved, doesn't explain all.(then again what theory does)

but at least evolution is not contradicted by the real world. how many generations will a family survive if they start with a man and a woman and they only breed among themselves? what kind of a technologically impaired god would create plants before the sun? create day and night before the sun? use only 2 individuals to start animal populations? create rocks that only appear to be 4 billion years old but in fact be 6000 years. make a great flood and turn all the sweet water fish into salt water fish and start the whole creation again just to prove a point to some humans. make dinosaurs and then obliterate them after of course allowing the humans to ride them flintstones style?

it is sad to see the result of years of brainwashing at work here. fine, be skeptic about evolution. it might have flaws and doubts. but to discard evolution and put your trust into creationism is plain stupidity.
  15. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    21 Nov '08 09:36
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Obviously. But robbiecarrobie made some scientific claims on behalf of Jesus, namely that he endorsed the creationist view by quoting Genesis at the Pharisees.
    yeah, found it.

so jesus is talking to the pharisees, people whom we know to be the robbie carrobies of that time (meaning brainwashed drones).

he is using small words, using the texts to which the pharisees so fervently adhere to in order to prove a point. and robbie instead of seeing the point of this message ("be careful when you marry, try everything you can to make the marriage work"😉 he skips it and goes straight to the proof(he says) that jesus is a YEC.

bravo! can i get a "Praise jesus!" for our brother in faith robbie?

(I shouldn't make fun of brainwashed people, it is not christian.)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree