1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 May '18 23:30
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    They're making a mistake. I am not sure what that means for them.

God is real and should be sought through prayer and through honest openness to him. God will presenr and offer himself to people. He does not turn away.

So, they should properly pursue a relationship with God.
    You have dodged the question by simply making some assertions based on your religious beliefs.

What is the point of attempted coercion with - or what is the deterrence effect of - threats that are not credible and not seen as real by the person being threatened? It doesn't make sense.
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    16 May '18 00:13
    Hell was invented to scare weak minded people into religious conformity.

next!
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 May '18 00:16
    They're making a mistake. I am not sure what that means for them.

God is real and should be sought through prayer and through honest openness to him. God will presenr and offer himself to people. He does not turn away.

So, they should properly pursue a relationship with God.
    Freud once wrote that humans initially learn to manipulate as toddlers by withholding their poo. Despite their parents’ pleadings to “go potty,” the toddler delights in withholding his poo to upset his parents.

I think that’s what goes on with some atheists. They’ve regressed to toddlerhood but instead of withholding their poo, they deny God exists as a means of manipulating believers.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 May '18 02:081 edit
    Originally posted by @wolfe63
    Atheists?
    Agnostics?
    Muslims?
    Jews?
    Hindus?
    Buddhists?
    Do you mean for a guy who believes gospel preaching should be kept to a more minimum amount, you care?

I didn't say "don't preach"...I said "preach less"...live by Christ's example more. That wins more converts my friend.

Don't look now, but more announcing of the Good News with living out Christ would seem to be appropriate.
  5. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    16 May '18 04:15
    Originally posted by @whodey
    The Bible lists a few Jews who went to heaven in the OT.

So who do you think deserves hell or does no one?
    Really? No one went to heaven before Jesus died and was eventually raised to heaven. Who went to heaven before Jesus?
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 May '18 05:43
    Originally posted by @galveston75
    Really? No one went to heaven before Jesus died and was eventually raised to heaven. Who went to heaven before Jesus?
    He’s probably referring to the Transfiguration.

“And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart,

And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light.

And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him.

Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias.

While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.

And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their face, and were sore afraid.

And Jesus came and touched them, and said, Arise, and be not afraid.

And when they had lifted up their eyes, they saw no man, save Jesus only.

And as they came down from the mountain, Jesus charged them, saying, Tell the vision to no man, until the Son of man be risen again from the dead.”

(Matthew 17:1-9)
  7. S. Korea
    Moves
    16 May '18 06:30
    Originally posted by @fmf
    You have dodged the question by simply making some assertions based on your religious beliefs.

What is the point of attempted coercion with - or what is the deterrence effect of - threats that are not credible and not seen as real by the person being threatened? It doesn't make sense.
    If you doubt the existence of God, you can pursue having a relationship with God, and He will reveal Himself to you, which solves the problem that you have brought up.
  8. S. Korea
    Moves
    16 May '18 06:31
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem

next!
    Plot twist: Hell wasn't invented at all, but rather is a metaphysical necessity to create a sense of cosmic justice.

Double plot twist: God doesn't send people to hell; people send themselves to hell.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 May '18 06:57
    If you doubt the existence of God, you can pursue having a relationship with God, and He will reveal Himself to you, which solves the problem that you have brought up.
    You are still dodging. What is the deterrence effect of a non-credible threat?
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    16 May '18 13:321 edit
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    Freud once wrote that humans initially learn to manipulate as toddlers by withholding their poo. Despite their parents’ pleadings to “go potty,” the toddler delights in withholding his poo to upset his parents.

I think that’s what goes on with some atheists. They’ve regressed to toddlerhood but instead of withholding their poo, they deny God exists as a means of manipulating believers.
    I may be doing a bit of that except instead of denying God exists I only assert that when I introspect on the subject I find that I lack belief that God or any such supernatural creative being exists. This is due to the fact that when it comes to God, the usual ways of verifying hunches seem to be unavailable to me. I have come to this limited kind of awareness over time, and it might change.

By the way, I have been around babies including my own (w/diaper changing) and never experienced the withholding of poo, either to manipulate me or not. Edit: I wonder how Freud came by his knowledge.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 May '18 13:382 edits

next!
    Hey, how come it didn't work on such "weak minded" individuals as Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, and Pol Pot ?

Were they too strong in the mind?
    If so then make the prospect of "hell" even stronger.
  12. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    16 May '18 20:41
    Plot twist: Hell wasn't invented at all, but rather is a metaphysical necessity to create a sense of cosmic justice.

Double plot twist: God doesn't send people to hell; people send themselves to hell.
    One punishment for all, regardless of the frequency and severity of the crimes? That's not justice, it's Bizzaro justice.

As for who is responsible for sending people to hell, read Matt 10:28.
  13. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    16 May '18 20:43
    Originally posted by @sonship
    Hey, how come it didn't work on such "weak minded" individuals as Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, and Pol Pot ?

Were they too strong in the mind?
    If so then make the prospect of "hell" even stronger.
    Care to re phrase this? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 May '18 20:53
    Care to re phrase this? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
    It makes perfect sense. Try reading it before sniffing glue.
  15. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    16 May '18 21:27
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    It makes perfect sense. Try reading it before sniffing glue.
    So explain the last sentence then.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree