1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    31 Oct '06 13:58
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    The term 'Christian' has a well-understood (if not well-articulated) meaning that is more than just "anyone who calls himself a Christian".
    Wouldn't mind if you articulated it a bit.
  2. London
    Moves
    31 Oct '06 14:01
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Wouldn't mind if you articulated it a bit.
    To some extent I did in my previous post.

Just because a perfect verbal definition cannot be provided for something doesn't mean people can't generally identify what it is.
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    31 Oct '06 14:05
    To some extent I did in my previous post.

Just because a perfect verbal definition cannot be provided for something doesn't mean people can't generally identify what it is.
    Like "spiritual growth", eh? OK.
  4. London
    Moves
    31 Oct '06 14:07
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Like "spiritual growth", eh?
    Actually, no. See my last post on the other thread.
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    31 Oct '06 14:11
    Actually, no. See my last post on the other thread.
    Have it your way.
  6. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    31 Oct '06 15:47
    What about the Christians who were around before the Bible?
    And all those around before Luther’s doctrine of sola scriptura (16th century), and all those who are not now sola scripturists...
  7. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    31 Oct '06 16:01
    "Christian", to me, means Christ-like. The suffix -ian meaning from, related to, or resembling. A Christian is someone who exhibits the characteristics of Jesus Christ - compassionate, merciful, loving, etc. Are all Catholics Christians? Certainly not, in my opinion. I know Buddhists who are better Christians than some Catholic priests.
  8. London
    Moves
    31 Oct '06 16:043 edits
    Originally posted by darvlay
    "Christian", to me, means Christ-like. The suffix -ian meaning from, related to, or resembling. A Christian is someone who exhibits the characteristics of Jesus Christ - compassionate, merciful, loving, etc. Are all Catholics Christians? Certainly not, in my opinion. I know Buddhists who are better Christians than some Catholic priests.
    That is one dictionary definition of Christian (e.g. "Christian living" or "Christian virtue" ).

Presumably the discussion here revolves around demographic or sociological definitions.

EDIT: Also, I feel that the image of Christ's compassion, mercy, love, forgiveness etc. is often misunderstood as some kind of infinite tolerance.
  9. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    31 Oct '06 16:05
    catholic church=the church of christ. the roman catholic one is the one which we are discussing and most people assumed this. the christian creed mentions of catholic church. pretty much every church is catholic, by definition. if it's not catholic then it is not "of christ" thus it is not christian...
  10. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    31 Oct '06 16:10
    That is one dictionary definition of Christian (e.g. "Christian living" or "Christian virtue" ).

Presumably the discussion here revolves around demographic or sociological definitions.

EDIT: Also, I feel that the image of Christ's compassion, mercy, love, forgiveness etc. is often misunderstood.
    I think that specific dictionary definition is the closest to the biblical definition of a Christian.

Demographic Christian? 😕
  11. London
    Moves
    31 Oct '06 16:10
    Originally posted by genius
    catholic church=the church of christ. the roman catholic one is the one which we are discussing and most people assumed this. the christian creed mentions of catholic church. pretty much every church is catholic, by definition. if it's not catholic then it is not "of christ" thus it is not christian...
    Huh?
  12. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    31 Oct '06 16:11
    Also, I feel that the image of Christ's compassion, mercy, love, forgiveness etc. is often misunderstood as some kind of infinite tolerance.
    I agree. Christ wasn't very tolerant of the Pharisees.
  13. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    31 Oct '06 16:11
    Huh?
    I was wondering the same thing...
  14. London
    Moves
    31 Oct '06 16:16
    I think that specific dictionary definition is the closest to the biblical definition of a Christian.

Demographic Christian? 😕
    Christian for demographic purposes (e.g. census).

The word "Christian" is mentioned in the NT three times (Acts 11:26, Acts 26:28 and 1 Peter 4:16). In all three cases, a demographic/sociological/religiously formal definition is implied. While being Christ-like is exhorted of them, it is not presumed.
  15. London
    Moves
    31 Oct '06 16:20
    I agree. Christ wasn't very tolerant of the Pharisees.
    More than that. Christ did not simply hand out forgiveness or healing or teaching or grace willy-nilly. There is always an implicit or explicit "challenge" or "hurdle" that the recepient has to address.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree