Are catholics christians???

Are catholics christians???

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
31 Oct 06

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
Some Catholics are, some are not. Some self-professing Christians are, some are not. Some unprofessing people are, some are not.

Any other questions?
I agree.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
31 Oct 06

Originally posted by amannion
This has got to be the stupidest question ever.
If someone calls themselves a Christian then they're a Christian.
Hitler called himself a Christian.

l

London

Moves
31 Oct 06

Originally posted by Wulebgr
Hitler called himself a Christian.
Then he's a Christian (according to the criteria ammanion specified). Quite syllogistic, really. 😉

l

London

Moves
31 Oct 06

Originally posted by darvlay
Christianity, in the idealogical sense, is (or rather, should) be about spirituality and virtue, not sectarianism.
Demographic/Sociological Christians should aspire to be Spiritual Christians as well, agreed.

d

Moves
31 Oct 06
1 edit

Originally posted by lucifershammer
If Christian = Christ-like, then how can Peter ask the suffering Christian not to be ashamed? If he is ashamed then he is not Christ-like and therefore not a Christian. A Christian, by your definition, cannot be ashamed and therefore would not need to be told not to be ashamed. Logically speaking, your definition leads to a contradiction here..
I think this is a pretty big stretch. No Christian is perfect in the ways of Christ. Christ-like does not presume a perfect mimic of Christ but a resemblance to him.

l

London

Moves
31 Oct 06

I think this is a pretty big stretch. No Christian is perfect in the ways of Christ. Christ-like does not presume a perfect mimic of Christ but a resemblance to him.
Of course, in Catholic sacramental theology, every Christian (i.e. validly baptised person) is already "Christ-like".

d

Moves
31 Oct 06

Originally posted by lucifershammer
Of course, in Catholic sacramental theology, every Christian (i.e. validly baptised person) is already "Christ-like".
Therein lies the rub - Catrholicism is bunk. 🙂

l

London

Moves
31 Oct 06
1 edit

Therein lies the rub - Catrholicism is bunk. 🙂
Now I can tell you were brought up Pentecostal.

😀

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
31 Oct 06

No Christian is perfect in the ways of Christ.
I am actually confused as to how Christ is supposed to be "perfect". Just not sinning doesn't spell out "perfection" to me. "Christ-like" doesn't mean anything to me, any more than "Buddha-like", unless by that you mean bearing a distinct resemblance to some or other plaster Christ or Buddha. It's becoming more and more difficult to pin anything down. Fewer butterflies around, too.

d

Moves
31 Oct 06

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
I am actually confused as to how Christ is supposed to be "perfect". Just not sinning doesn't spell out "perfection" to me. "Christ-like" doesn't mean anything to me, any more than "Buddha-like", unless by that you mean bearing a distinct resemblance to some or other plaster Christ or Buddha. It's becoming more and more difficult to pin anything down. Fewer butterflies around, too.
The many lessons and parables of Christ gives us an idea as to what He might think a "Christian" should be.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
31 Oct 06

The many lessons and parables of Christ gives us an idea as to what He might think a "Christian" should be.
I understand "Christian" but not "Christ-like".

W
Angler

River City

Moves
31 Oct 06

Jesus gave his life in support of a futile political cause; hence Joe Hill exemplifies the term "Christ-like". The IWW in the early 1900s had about as much chance as Jewish revolutionaries 2000 years ago.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
31 Oct 06

Originally posted by Wulebgr
Jesus gave his life in support of a futile political cause; hence Joe Hill exemplifies the term "Christ-like".
So many people are Christ-like by that definition.

d

Moves
31 Oct 06

Aren't they one and the same?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
31 Oct 06
1 edit

Aren't they one and the same?
Is "Christian" music "Christ-like"? Maybe some of it is...a certain ration...but that's the aesthetic response, which admits of little verbalisation.

Ration--I meant ratio--how did that bread slip in