1. Joined
    21 Oct '04
    Moves
    13 Jun '05 22:22
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Yes, I have. I kill spiders because I have arachnophobia. I kill midges because the hum drives me crazy and I don't like to get stung. I sometimes kill bugs just because they are somewhat annoying. I am not proud of it, and I know my reasons are not very good. But I never claimed to be perfect. Your god does, and the killing of the animals by the flood had much bigger proportions and, as far as I can see, *no* reason.
    lol ok, but God did have a reason, try putting every animal on the earth in 1 boat
  2. Meddling with things
    Moves
    13 Jun '05 22:24
    Originally posted by flyUnity
    You are understanding me wrong, I do value animals, and the world, Very much to say so, I argued with a person once who thought I shouldnt kill a cactus that was in my yard, because it was a living plant, Im saying I value it, but there is no way Im going to keep it in my yard, just because its a living object
    Genisis is pretty clear where man and the beasts fall in its hierachy, as I'm sure some of our bible experts will confirm. I just find it irritating that the local jesus cultists adopt values that are alien to their theology just to try to ingratiate themselves with children
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    13 Jun '05 22:27
    lol ok, but God did have a reason, try putting every animal on the earth in 1 boat
    Why a flood anyway? If an almighty God wanted to destroy the entire human race but Noah and his family couldn't He have just willed it and it would have happened? Why go through all the bother of drowning a bunch of innocent animals and making a huge boat? The whole thing is a typical ancient myth describing Gods who lacked omnipotence and it translates poorly to a God who supposedly has such a quality.
  4. Joined
    21 Oct '04
    Moves
    13 Jun '05 22:29
    Originally posted by aardvarkhome
    Genisis is pretty clear where man and the beasts fall in its hierachy, as I'm sure some of our bible experts will confirm. I just find it irritating that the local jesus cultists adopt values that are alien to their theology just to try to ingratiate themselves with children
    you will find that the other side will do the same thing though
  5. Joined
    21 Oct '04
    Moves
    13 Jun '05 22:30
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Why a flood anyway? If an almighty God wanted to destroy the entire human race but Noah and his family couldn't He have just willed it and it would have happened? Why go through all the bother of drowning a bunch of innocent animals and making a huge boat? The whole thing is a typical ancient myth describing Gods who lacked omnipotence and it translates poorly to a God who supposedly has such a quality.
    I suppose if you was God, you coudve done it better, heh?
  6. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    13 Jun '05 22:301 edit
    Have you ever deliberately stepped on an ant or any other bug, yea I know they are small, but only relative to you, I'm sure you have. Whats the difference between that and an elephant? besides the size.

God created animals for man, not man for animals, so no It wasnt cruel of God
    What's the difference between an ant and an elephant or a gorilla? Here's a hint: Elephants and gorillas possess a degree of psychological complexity that far exceeds that of ant and other insects. Elephants and gorillas mourn their dead, express affection just like humans and other mammals, and so on. They are not here for your amusement, nor do you have dominion over them. Such species-based chauvinism is deeply immoral, and perfectly disgusting.
  7. Joined
    21 Oct '04
    Moves
    13 Jun '05 22:37
    Originally posted by bbarr
    What's the difference between an ant and an elephant or a gorilla? Here's a hint: Elephants and gorillas possess a degree of psychological complexity that far exceeds that of ant and other insects. Elephants and gorillas mourn their dead, express affection just like humans and other mammals, and so on. They are not here for your amusement, nor do you hav ...[text shortened]... ominion over them. Such species-based chauvinism is deeply immoral, and perfectly disgusting.
    naa, every animal has its special features, an ant can smell like 1000 times better then a dog I think, its just whats relative to you, if a Elaphant was the size of an ant, and a ant the size of an elaphant, you would think quite different of them.

Blah, I told you I always get my self in a mess argueing with animal rights activist. Im donefor the day, good disscussion
  8. The sky
    Moves
    13 Jun '05 22:45
    ... which brings us back to page 2 in this thread, where I wrote:

"Yeah, I know, I know. God can do anything, so he could guide those polar bears to the ark and let them survive under conditions they usually wouldn't survive, and he could keep all the animals on the ark from eating each other, etc. etc. But if he can do anything, what was the point of making things so complicated? And why did he choose a solution which would not only kill the humans, but also most animals?"

You should make up your mind whether god is omnipotent or not.
  9. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    13 Jun '05 23:002 edits
    Have you ever seen a Gorilla up close? Have you ever seen them taking care of their young? I would be amazed if you had and yet also maintained that they had no soul. Perhaps this is just ignorance on your part, rather than callousness. I ...[text shortened]... ertainly hope so.

[b]http://www.hedweb.com/gorilfam.jpg

[/b]
    Bbarr: "Have you ever seen a Gorilla up close?"

Yes, I have. There were some 70 cm between him and me and a window of security glass I must add. We looked eachother in the eyes and we made eyecontact during a considerable amount of time. It was a very moving experience. I felt a definite connection with him. I felt sorry for him being locked up. He deserves freedom as much as we human beings deserve it.
    We cannot handle animals as mere objects in our scientific research industry, where they are being mistreated, tortured and killed in the name of the New Religion of Reason called Science or as mere production units in our food industry where they are being mistreated in the same way.
    We have a special responsibility towards animals the same way we have a responsibility towards other defenseless other living beings, born or unborn, animal or human.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    13 Jun '05 23:05
    I suppose if you was God, you coudve done it better, heh?
    I suppose if there was a real almighty God he wouldn't have done "it" like the fairy tale in the Bible.
  11. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    13 Jun '05 23:12
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

Yes, I have. There were some 70 cm between him and me and a window of security glass I must add. We looked eachother in the eyes and we made eyecontact during a considerable amount of time. It was a very moving experience. I felt a definite connection with him. I felt sorry for him being locked up. He des ...[text shortened]... responsibility towards other defenseless other living beings, born or unborn, animal or human.
    Well, you know I disagree with you about cases of early abortion, but I completely agree with everything else you've posted above. We and other creatures cohabit the world, and we ought to treat these creatures with the care and compassion we value within our species.
  12. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    13 Jun '05 23:20
    Well, you know I disagree with you about cases of early abortion, but I completely agree with everything else you've posted above. We and other creatures cohabit the world, and we ought to treat these creatures with the care and compassion we value within our species.

I'm afraid we agree on more issues than we are willing to ackowledge ..... 😉
  13. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    13 Jun '05 23:30
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

Yes, I have. There were some 70 cm between him and me and a window of security glass I must add. We looked eachother in the eyes and we made eyecontact during a considerable amount of time. It was a very moving experience. I felt a definite connection with him. I felt sorry for him being locked up. He des ...[text shortened]... responsibility towards other defenseless other living beings, born or unborn, animal or human.
    did it remind you of shaving?

lol j/k
  14. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    13 Jun '05 23:31
    yes ,,cause once they're gone,, it's forever

15. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    13 Jun '05 23:37
    naa, every animal has its special features, an ant can smell like 1000 times better then a dog I think, its just whats relative to you, if a Elaphant was the size of an ant, and a ant the size of an elaphant, you would think quite different of them.

Blah, I told you I always get my self in a mess argueing with animal rights activist. Im donefor the day, good disscussion
    I sure would think differently of a long nosed bug and a elephant size pile of bug guts and broken exo-skeleton pieces that smells 1000 times worse than my dog.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree