1. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Nov '18 01:05
    Dive just asked me this question, and I'm wondering:

After one says "the prayer" and becomes a Christian, is it forever?

Can you lose your Christianity on any given day? Maybe you've knowingly stole something, and haven't asked for forgiveness yet?

Is it for life, or is it daily, based on your deeds?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Nov '18 01:361 edit
    @chaney3 said

Can you lose your Christianity on any given day? Maybe you've knowingly stole something, and haven't asked for forgiveness yet?

Grampy Bobby once told me [he told me it twice in fact] that I am permanently and irrevocably "saved" even if I only believed in Jesus for one second, and even if I then subsequently no longer believe in Him. Of course, I was utterly and sincerely convinced that my belief in Jesus was real; it couldn't have felt or seemed any more real. So I qualified according to Grampy Bobby's 'assurance'.

Naturally, his assertion was moot as far as I was concerned.

As far as I could make out, no Christians here disagreed with him because not one of them questioned the doctrine. I was the only poster who tackled him on how it seemed to be taking the idea of OSAS too a rather incredible extreme (or an even MORE incredible extreme than it already was).
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Nov '18 01:381 edit
    @chaney3 said

The Bible is a magical book.

Believing in the Bible makes all your beliefs come true.

Almost whatever anyone's belief, support for it can be found in the Bible.

If you believe it to be forever, it is forever.

If you don't believe it to be forever, it is not forever.

Behold the mysterious and magical powers of the Bible.

Do you believe in the Bible?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Nov '18 02:04
    @fmf said
    Grampy Bobby once told me [he told me it twice in fact] that I am permanently and irrevocably "saved" even if I only believed in Jesus for one second, and even if I then subsequently no longer believe in Him. Of course, I was utterly and sincerely convinced that my belief in Jesus was real; it couldn't have felt or seemed any more real. So I qualified according to Grampy Bobby's ...[text shortened]... ea of OSAS too a rather incredible extreme (or an even MORE incredible extreme than it already was).
    So it should follow that most, if not all Christians believe that you are still a Christian right now, "today".
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Nov '18 02:23
    @chaney3 said
    So it should follow that most, if not all Christians believe that you are still a Christian right now, "today".
    Christians here mostly did not like to disagree with Grampy Bobby regardless of what he said or did. I think it was an indication of a lack of principle and a lack of genuine interest in ideas on their part, as well as a lack of purpose that might otherwise have removed sheer partisan motivations from their patterns of posting ~ rather than hard evidence of what they believed.
  6. S. Korea
    Moves
    08 Nov '18 02:45
    Oh wow, FMF, my grandfather was also named Bob.

But he was an atheist though he may have had a death bed conversion.

---

I suppose you can define Christian in a number of ways. But to really be Christian you have to believe in the triune God and Christ as the Son of GOd, and once you do not believe or say this is the case, you are not believing in Christianity, and thus why would you be regarded as a Christian?

And if you are consciously now rejecting the Christianity that you once were... why would you still be saved?

I do not understand this premise so much, though I have heard it made before.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Nov '18 02:57
    @philokalia said
    And if you are consciously now rejecting the Christianity that you once were... why would you still be saved?
    Because of some magical thing that supposedly happened to me - and happens to everybody who believes in Jesus, no matter for how fleeting a moment.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Nov '18 04:27
    @fmf said
    Grampy Bobby once told me [he told me it twice in fact] that I am permanently and irrevocably "saved" even if I only believed in Jesus for one second, and even if I then subsequently no longer believe in Him. Of course, I was utterly and sincerely convinced that my belief in Jesus was real; it couldn't have felt or seemed any more real. So I qualified according to Grampy Bobby's ...[text shortened]... ea of OSAS too a rather incredible extreme (or an even MORE incredible extreme than it already was).
    GB and I went round and round over this in PMs.

The OSAS doctrine is a type of "Republican" Christianity. God looks on our hearts. He knows what's up... no one is fooling him, only themselves.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Nov '18 04:59
    @suzianne said
    Nobody, aside from me, debated or discussed it with Grampy Bobby here on this debate and discussion forum which is provided for the debate and discussion of things such as these.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Nov '18 07:24
    @fmf said
    Nobody, aside from me, debated or discussed it with Grampy Bobby here on this debate and discussion forum which is provided for the debate and discussion of things such as these.
    So?

I'm thinking you're showing delusions of your own importance.

For the nth time, what you think bothers me a non-positive amount.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Nov '18 07:341 edit
    @chaney3 said

For someone who intermittently claims to be a Christian and not be a Christian I can see why there is confusion in your mind. Your problem is you seem to have virtually no grasp of biblical and gospel principles.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Nov '18 07:37
    @philokalia said
    But to really be Christian you have to believe in the triune God and Christ as the Son of GOd, and once you do not believe or say this is the case, you are not believing in Christianity, and thus why would you be regarded as a Christian?
    What complete and utter unscriptural rubbish.

I’m betting none of the other Christians here will pick you up of this hogwash, you know why, because then they would be on “my side” so to speak.

Pathetic.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Nov '18 07:40
    @suzianne said
    What a pity the pair of you never had the bi-partisan fortitude to debate it in public, but instead now years later you make this pointless comment to indicate that you perhaps, at some point in the past, had a view on it.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Nov '18 07:41
    @suzianne said
    For the nth time, what you think bothers me a non-positive amount.
    You keep saying this and yet a huge proportion of your posts are aimed at FMF.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Nov '18 07:46
    @suzianne said
    The OSAS doctrine is a type of "Republican" Christianity. God looks on our hearts. He knows what's up... no one is fooling him, only themselves.
    I noticed in debates that you thanked god for a democratic victory. American politics has nothing to do with the gospel.

In America there is American politics and American Christianity and the two have been conflated, but that revolting miasma is a parochial anomaly unique to the strange American culture and partisan claims to have god on their side. To the rest of us you just sound like fanatics.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree