Arrogance can be wounded...

Arrogance can be wounded...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
06 Oct 11

Originally posted by googlefudge
Said the homophobic bigot.

Religion is full of wise sounding poetry, designed to make the person saying it seem wise and all knowing.

It is however a façade overlying empty house.

There is nothing there behind it to back it up.

You are a bigot, trying to cover up and justify your bigotry in fancy words and a cloak of religious respectabil ...[text shortened]... er than pithy meaningless trivialities masquerading as wisdom.
Save it for someone who cares.
Thank you.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
06 Oct 11
3 edits

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
[b]"It's only when "crimes/sins" have actual victims...

On what basis of authority do you draw this conclusion?

.[/b]
Some people like to think things through.
Others (like yourself) prefer to be instructed by a 2000 year old book written by primitive people *for* primitive people.

Hope this helps 🙂

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
06 Oct 11
1 edit

Originally posted by Agerg

Some people like to think things through.
Others (like yourself) prefer to be instructed by a 2000 year old book written by primitive people *for* primitive people.

Hope this helps 🙂
"Some people like to think things through."

Wondering if you were born with the knowledge you have, Agberg..... or if you

were instructed by someone or some thing along the way to your mindset now.

s
Aficionado of Prawns

Not of this World

Moves
06 Oct 11

Anyone who claims that mankind was "primitive" 2,000 years ago, has obviously *not* thought things through.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
06 Oct 11
1 edit

Originally posted by sumydid
Anyone who claims that mankind was "primitive" 2,000 years ago, has obviously *not* thought things through.
Well I'll see your "Anyone who claims that mankind was "primitive" 2,000 years ago, has obviously *not* thought things through" and raise you...

Anyone who claims that anyone who claims that mankind was "primitive" 2,000 years ago, has obviously *not* thought things through has obviously not thought things through.

We're talking about a period in humanity's history where slavery was ok, women were the lesser gender, the pinnacle of scientific "discovery" was the notion that the centre of the universe, aka earth, is flat and is orbited by sun, and any pretty much every other "scientific" principle relied on the statement that god did it!

They certainly weren't advanced by any meaningful definition of the word. 😕

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
06 Oct 11
2 edits

[b]"Some people like to think things through."

Wondering if you were born with the knowledge you have, Agberg..... or if you

were instructed by someone or some thing along the way to your mindset now.

.[/b]
I wasn't born with it and I have been told/instructed in many things; but as I've grown older I've given greater critical evaluation of the things people tell me. Consequently I've been able to rise above the silly racism that I was brought up through by using my noggin and questioning the justification for it. Ditto for sexism, and relevant to this thread: homophobia, and of course so on and so forth...

The important point is that I don't need a 2000 year old book to tell me how to be moral; I've decided for myself what is morally right and morally wrong (and rejected later some of the "teaching" I've received along the way)

Moves
06 Oct 11

Well I'll see your "Anyone who claims that mankind was "primitive" 2,000 years ago, has obviously *not* thought things through" and raise you...

Anyone who claims that anyone who claims that mankind was "primitive" 2,000 years ago, has obviously *not* thought things through has obviously not thought things through.

We're talking about a period i ...[text shortened]... t!

They certainly weren't advanced by any meaningful definition of the word. 😕
Depends who you mean by 'they', the Romans were much more advanced and knowledgeable
(although perhaps not morally) than the subjugated people who invented Christianity.

But yes I otherwise do agree.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
06 Oct 11

I wasn't born with it and I have been told/instructed in many things; but as I've grown older I've given greater critical evaluation of the things people tell me. Consequently I've been able to rise above the silly racism that I was brought up through by using my noggin and questioning the justification for it. Ditto for sexism, and relevant to this thread: homophobia, and of course so on and so forth...
Wouldn't your eloquently stated 'critical rationale' also apply to others who may have reached alternative decisions?

"Some people like to think things through.
Others (like yourself) prefer to be instructed by a 2000 year old book written by primitive people *for* primitive people. -Agberg
Hope this helps

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
06 Oct 11

Originally posted by googlefudge
Depends who you mean by 'they', the Romans were much more advanced and knowledgeable
(although perhaps not morally) than the subjugated people who invented Christianity.

But yes I otherwise do agree.
The Romans did cross my mind as I wrote what I did; but as they were by and large external to the Bible's audience and inventors I didn't see fit to mention them.

Moves
06 Oct 11

The Romans did cross my mind as I wrote what I did; but as they were by and large external to the Bible's audience and inventors I didn't see fit to mention them.
I understand, but I feel it worth pointing out that the early Christians were the primitive
barbaric people on the periphery of the much more advanced Roman empire.

People who thought the world still flat while living next to people who knew the world was round.

Which makes the fact that the bible says the world is flat means it was even out-of-date scientific
knowledge when it was written.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
06 Oct 11
1 edit

Wouldn't your eloquently stated 'critical rationale' also apply to others who may have reached alternative decisions?

[b]Others (like yourself)
prefer to be instructed by a 2000 year old book written by primitive people *for* primitive people. -Agberg
Hope this helps

.[/b]
I'm not seeing the critical thinking in:

Bible says homosexuality is wrong/hated by God - therefore I must hate or be prejudiced against homosexuals - analysis finished.

Where is the argument as to why homosexuality is wrong/evil/or whatever.. independent of what the Bible says!?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
06 Oct 11
2 edits

Bible says homosexuality is wrong/hated by God - therefore I must hate or be prejudiced against homosexuals - analysis finished.

Where is the argument as to why homosexuality is wrong/evil/or whatever.. independent of what the Bible says!?

"Wouldn't your eloquently stated 'critical rationale' also apply to others who may have reached
alternative decisions?"
-gb

Hope this helps."-Agberg

Find it difficult to believe an intelligent fellow like yourself failed to realize that my concise summary comment pertained to the process of acquiring informed decisions, not to any particular category of application. Looks like a shabby straw man in my opinion.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
06 Oct 11
1 edit

[b]"Wouldn't your eloquently stated 'critical rationale' also apply to others who may have reached
alternative decisions?"
-gb

Hope this helps."-Agberg

................ ...[text shortened]... any particular category of application. Looks like a shabby straw man in my opinion.

.[/b]
In forming a connection between what I said initially to inspire your responses directed at me, and the response you refer to here; assuming that it was supposed to have some bearing on the supposed intellectual validity of basing ones choices on the words of the bible seemed like a good fit.

Being mistaken here does not affect my impression of my self worth.

Moves
06 Oct 11

[b]"Wouldn't your eloquently stated 'critical rationale' also apply to others who may have reached
alternative decisions?"
-gb

Hope this helps."-Agberg

................ ...[text shortened]... any particular category of application. Looks like a shabby straw man in my opinion.

.[/b]
Perhaps if you posted a comment instead of a summery of it your meaning would actually be evident.

Of course that would mean being clear and detailed rather than being ambiguous and simplistic.

Why make your position clear when you can be vague and then deflect any criticism by claiming that
it wasn't what you meant in the first place.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
06 Oct 11
2 edits

Where does the Holy Bible say homosexuality is wrong/hated by God -
therefore you must hate or be prejudiced against homosexuals?
I think it is a certain act that men do to other men that is similiar to
what a man does to a woman that God hates.

P.S. I don't see this equates to being prejudiced against homosexuals.