1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    01 Oct '11 21:58
    Arrogance can be wounded...


    Arrogance can be wounded, virtue can't.

    Your thoughts?

    .
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    1795
    01 Oct '11 22:21
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Arrogance can be wounded...


    Arrogance can be wounded, virtue can't.

    Your thoughts?

    .[/b]
    it's a meaningless play on words.

    Also many theists claim a women's virtue is her virginity.
    Which they also believe can be not just wounded but taken.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    01 Oct '11 22:341 edit
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    it's a meaningless play on words.

    Also many theists claim a women's virtue is her virginity.
    Which they also believe can be not just wounded but taken.
    Thanks for your post, gf. Respect your right to an opinion.

    -gb
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12695
    01 Oct '11 23:15
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Arrogance can be wounded...


    Arrogance can be wounded, virtue can't.

    Your thoughts?

    .[/b]
    I am not sure I understand. Perhaps it is the other way around.
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    1795
    02 Oct '11 00:02
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Thanks for your post, gf. Respect your right to an opinion.

    -gb
    Well an opinion is what you asked for.

    I realise this is the kind of statement people use to start discussions up,
    but to me the op is no more than a play on words with no deeper meaning
    to explore.

    BTW, this is neither here nor there, but in the land of MMO's chat speak "gf" stands for good fight.
    Which had me confused for a moment.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12695
    02 Oct '11 00:06
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Well an opinion is what you asked for.

    I realise this is the kind of statement people use to start discussions up,
    but to me the op is no more than a play on words with no deeper meaning
    to explore.

    BTW, this is neither here nor there, but in the land of MMO's chat speak "gf" stands for good fight.
    Which had me confused for a moment.
    gf - googlefudge
    gb- Grampy Bobby
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    1795
    02 Oct '11 00:11
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    gf - googlefudge
    gb- Grampy Bobby
    heh, yes, I did say for a moment.

    One gets used to reading abbreviations as whole words without thinking about it.
    And in MMO chat channels where speed and brevity is of the essence you get fast at
    reading the meaning of the abbreviation instead of the actual letters.

    On first reading I didn't see gf I saw good fight... I double took as this didn't make sense.
    This amused me, which is why I posted it.
  8. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    38013
    02 Oct '11 03:59
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Thanks for your post, gf. Respect your right to an opinion.

    -gb
    I too respect one's right to express their opinion; even if it is utterly and completely wrong.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86383
    02 Oct '11 06:01
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Arrogance can be wounded...


    Arrogance can be wounded, virtue can't.

    Your thoughts?

    .[/b]
    Um, it's better to be virtuous than arrogant?
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12695
    02 Oct '11 06:07
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Um, it's better to be virtuous than arrogant?
    I guess you are not clear on the meaning either, right?
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    02 Oct '11 06:382 edits
    In context, 'virtue' refers to character...uncompromised character, what a person is at the core; the essence of a person (impeccable integrity, honor, bravery, grace under fire, poise, good manners, respect for the privacy and rights of others; steadfast in resolve, noble in adversity, courageous in war; trustworthy and dependable in friendship, patient and longsuffering in romance; one accustomed to giving others a fair shake and the benefit of doubt; merciful and quick to pour out forgiveness as a wine; practiced in treating others far better than they deserve; an individual whose thought and action and leadership qualities become an example for those in his periphery; a person free of bitterness and rancor, pettiness and narcissism and all other negative traits and values, selfish behaviors and criminal tendencies which the human race collectively abhors); the real deal; what a person is at the core irrespective of what others may falsely or foolishly perceive. The extent to which any of us possess these character qualities we are safeguarded from being easily slighted, wounded or hurt by the careless or intentional words and deeds of others.

    In context, 'arrogance' refers to the flip side of this gold standard coin of the realm and is easily wounded.

    -gb
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12695
    02 Oct '11 07:00
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]In context, 'virtue' refers to character...uncompromised character, what a person is at the core; the essence of a person (impeccable integrity, honor, bravery, grace under fire, poise, good manners, respect for the privacy and rights of others; steadfast in resolve, noble in adversity, courageous in war; trustworthy and dependable in friendship, ...[text shortened]... e flip side of this gold standard coin of the realm[/b] and is easily wounded.

    -gb[/b]
    I didn't realize virtue covered all that.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    02 Oct '11 09:57
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]In context, 'virtue' refers to character...uncompromised character, what a person is at the core; the essence of a person (impeccable integrity, honor, bravery, grace under fire, poise, good manners, respect for the privacy and rights of others; steadfast in resolve, noble in adversity, courageous in war; trustworthy and dependable in friendship, ...[text shortened]... e flip side of this gold standard coin of the realm[/b] and is easily wounded.

    -gb[/b]
    So you are referring to individual traits. I was thinking you were talking about group traits, when I think of arrogance I also include the arrogance of a race, like the Nazi movement self defining themselves as superior and therefore can feel secure in condoning cruelty to races they consider inferior.

    Or the arrogance of humans thinking they are so high up on the evolutionary food chain they MUST have a soul, therefore leading to concepts of the possibility of causing fear in people, telling people you can lose your soul if you don't do X,Y and Z of our faith.

    It may very well be a simple thing: We have no soul, much as our psyche demands one. If so, it is a central arrogance of the human race to simply assume we have one and go on from there to the cruelties associated with the controlling efforts, and very successful ones, to build up a power base from a religious stand point.

    I don't think religious people can even entertain the concept of not having a soul, it is so ingrained into a brainwashed populous.

    That is why I put that concept down to a central group arrogance of the human race.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12695
    02 Oct '11 10:07
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So you are referring to individual traits. I was thinking you were talking about group traits, when I think of arrogance I also include the arrogance of a race, like the Nazi movement self defining themselves as superior and therefore can feel secure in condoning cruelty to races they consider inferior.

    Or the arrogance of humans thinking they are so hi ...[text shortened]... pulous.

    That is why I put that concept down to a central group arrogance of the human race.
    You don't think you are arrogant to say there is no God and everyone that
    thinks there is must be delusional.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    02 Oct '11 10:152 edits
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    You don't think you are arrogant to say there is no God and everyone that
    thinks there is must be delusional.
    You are deflecting. I did not in any way in that post even refer to a god. I said it is a possibility humans do not have a soul. That's ALL I said. You can see from your reaction that strikes a deep nerve in the religious population. The concept of soul is way deeper than the concept of god. That is to say the concept of soul is buried in our psyches way deeper than the concept of god.

    You completely skipped over my first concept, that of group arrogance, like the Nazi arrogance and other kinds just as reprehensible, so important it is to you to have a soul.
Back to Top