Atheism doesn't have a persuasive message...

Atheism doesn't have a persuasive message...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
23 May 18

Here is an assertion ~ a motion for debate, as it were ~ based on something another poster said earlier today"

Atheism has a superficial appeal that can pull in a few people but it ultimately sputters out: it doesn't have any truly persuasive message.

To my way of thinking, atheism is a lack of belief, Furthermore, it is unaffected by the claims of religionists who insist their folklores offer a "persuasive message".

Why do some people ~ not atheists, mind you ~ suggest that atheism should have a "persuasive message" when, in fact, propagating messages is surely a matter for people operating in the realm of competing religious doctrines?

T

Moves
23 May 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @fmf
Here is an assertion ~ a motion for debate, as it were ~ based on something another poster said earlier today"

[b]Atheism has a superficial appeal that can pull in a few people but it ultimately sputters out: it doesn't have any truly persuasive message.

To my way of thinking, atheism is a lack of belief, Furthermore, it is unaffected by the claims o ...[text shortened]... messages is surely a matter for people operating in the realm of competing religious doctrines?[/b]
A deeper question is, "What is the appeal of the belief system for those who make such assertions?".

Typically the answer is that it is self-serving. That is certainly the case, for example, for the vast majority of strains of Christianity: God is there to serve THEM.

As such what they are in effect asking is, "What is the appeal of a belief system that does not serve ME so well?". If the belief system in question is not more self-serving, then it is not "persuasive" for THEM.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
23 May 18

Christian. - "I'm important. My enemies will perish......I'm important."

Atheist. - "In the great scheme of things, I'm not that important. My enemies might prosper, but ultimately, we'll all perish."

Moves
23 May 18

“There are arguments for atheism, and they do not depend, and never did depend, upon science. They are arguable enough, as far as they go, upon a general survey of life; only it happens to be a superficial survey of life.”

― G.K. Chesterton

Moves
23 May 18

“When men choose not to believe in God, they do not thereafter believe in nothing, they then become capable of believing in anything.”

― G.K. Chesterton

Moves
23 May 18

“The worst moment for an atheist is when he feels a profound sense of gratitude and has no one to thank.”
- G.K. Chesterton

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
23 May 18

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

Mahatma Gandhi

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
23 May 18

“One would go mad if one took the Bible seriously, but to take it seriously one must be already mad.”

Aleister Crowley,

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
23 May 18

“It is because ye are sunk in the cruelty of superstition, or feel no interest in the honour of your Creator, that ye listen to the horrid tales of the Bible, or hear them with callous indifference. The evidence I have produced, and shall still produce in the course of this work, to prove that the Bible is without authority, will, whilst it wounds the stubbornness of a priest, relieve and tranquilize the minds of millions: it will free them from all those hard thoughts of the Almighty which priest-craft and the Bible had infused into their minds, and which stood in everlasting opposition to all their ideas of his moral justice and benevolence.”

Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
23 May 18

'Religion is a delusion propagated by a combination of ignorance, art, and fear, fanned into longevity and ubiquity by the power it gave those in command.'

P. W. Atkins

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
23 May 18

Saved the best for last:

'I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.'

Stephen Roberts

Moves
23 May 18

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
“It is because ye are sunk in the cruelty of superstition, or feel no interest in the honour of your Creator, that ye listen to the horrid tales of the Bible, or hear them with callous indifference. The evidence I have produced, and shall still produce in the course of this work, to prove that the Bible is without authority, will, whilst it wounds t ...[text shortened]... on to all their ideas of his moral justice and benevolence.”

Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason
All powerful quotes Ghost.
Though I never imagined I'd agree with anything Crowley said.
He's a bit too dark for me.

F

Moves
23 May 18

Struth!

Moves
23 May 18

A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell.
C. S. Lewis

Moves
23 May 18

Atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning.
C. S. Lewis