1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    24 May '18 02:03
    Originally posted by @fmf
    I think the term encompasses both positions.
    That’s being wishy washy. It’s like the person who says, “I’m against abortion because I think it’s the taking of a human life. But I’m pro choice because I think everyone should make up their own mind.”
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    24 May '18 05:45
    If an atheist simply lacks belief in the existence of God it means they have no beliefs whatsoever about God's existence. But we all know they actually do believe that God doesn't exist. The real atheists at least.
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    24 May '18 07:08
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    Repeatedly singling out irrelevant portions of commentary and asking questions about them while ignoring the rest, is a pattern of behavior I have come across countless times in these types of discussions. It is my humble opinion that this pattern of behavior is usually due to either one being obtuse, or having an issue with obsession or compulsion. Of ...[text shortened]... t call OCD a mental illness. It's a common disorder, and I have it myself, though not severely.
    OCD may indeed be fairly common, but it most certainly 'is' a mental illness. (Though as you indicated, there are different levels of severity). Sorry to hear that you have a mild version yourself, but that really should give you insight into the condition and not be throwing it around as forum fodder.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    24 May '18 07:22
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    OCD may indeed be fairly common, but it most certainly 'is' a mental illness. (Though as you indicated, there are different levels of severity). Sorry to hear that you have a mild version yourself, but that really should give you insight into the condition and not be throwing it around as forum fodder.
    Yeah, let’s not troll around with something like that 🙄

I wonder if obsessively thumbing down posts is a sign of OCD or just immaturity.
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    24 May '18 08:03
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    I would not agree that the nonexistence of God has been, or ever will be, proven. If that happened, the world would become atheists in no time. By definition (God in the spirit realm, mankind in a physical universe) we don't and won't ever have the instruments to peer outside our reality. It would be like a fish in a fish bowl peering outside the hous ...[text shortened]... ware game) gaining self awareness and seeing into your world outside the monitor. Can't happen.
    "I would not agree that the nonexistence of God has been, or ever will be, proven."

It would be an incorrectly defined God, if its existence could be disproven.
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    24 May '18 08:11
    Originally posted by @js357
    It would be an incorrectly defined God, if its existence could be disproven.
    Why?
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    24 May '18 08:242 edits
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    Why?
    Because:

It is up to the believer to define the true propositions about God. No proposition P that is believed about God (taking God to mean the Christian God) can be true if that belief logically implies His nonexistence. Instead, P is false or the logic is faulty.

Agreeing on these tenets will improve the dialogue.
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    24 May '18 18:42
    Because:

It is up to the believer to define the true propositions about God. No proposition P that is believed about God (taking God to mean the Christian God) can be true if that belief logically implies His nonexistence. Instead, P is false or the logic is faulty.

Agreeing on these tenets will improve the dialogue.
    But definitions aren't the same thing as propositions. Definitions need agreement and input from both sides to ensure everyone is clear about what's being argued.

Once that's accomplished, propositions can be put forth.
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    24 May '18 19:031 edit
    But definitions aren't the same thing as propositions. Definitions need agreement and input from both sides to ensure everyone is clear about what's being argued.

Once that's accomplished, propositions can be put forth.
    “But definitions aren't the same thing as propositions. Definitions need agreement and input from both sides to ensure everyone is clear about what's being argued.“

OK, and I suggest that the party asserting the existence of a thing should propose its definition.
  10. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    25 May '18 08:12
    “But definitions aren't the same thing as propositions. Definitions need agreement and input from both sides to ensure everyone is clear about what's being argued.“

OK, and I suggest that the party asserting the existence of a thing should propose its definition.
    But where does that leave reductio type arguments? If skeptics can't assert a commonly-held definition, we can't use those.
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    25 May '18 08:23
    But where does that leave reductio type arguments? If skeptics can't assert a commonly-held definition, we can't use those.
    Anyone can specify a definition and then destroy it if there is a reduction flaw to be found. It can be done as a hypothetical.
  12. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    25 May '18 10:141 edit
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Atheism has a superficial appeal that can pull in a few people but it ultimately sputters out: it doesn't have any truly persuasive message. ...
    I think you've identified the herd mentality of many theists. <shrug>
  13. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    25 May '18 10:21
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    If an atheist simply lacks belief in the existence of God it means they have no beliefs whatsoever about God's existence. But we all know they actually do believe that God doesn't exist. The real atheists at least.
    In my experience (and this subject is a hobby of mine) you are wrong. Never met an atheist who would deny evidence. Evidence needs to be evaluated and interpreted, of course. We've done that for your bible.

If god made me, then I have a brain for a reason.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 May '18 10:25
    Originally posted by @apathist
    In my experience (and this subject is a hobby of mine) you are wrong. Never met an atheist who would deny evidence. Evidence needs to be evaluated and interpreted, of course. We've done that for your bible.

If god made me, then I have a brain for a reason.
    <<Evidence needs to be evaluated and interpreted, of course. We've done that for your bible.>>

Really? Explain the Messianic prophecy in Daniel chapter 9. You think a prophecy that detailed was fulfilled by chance? You think all the other Messianic prophecies were fulfilled by chance?
  15. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    25 May '18 10:53
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    <<Evidence needs to be evaluated and interpreted, of course. We've done that for your bible.>>

Really? Explain the Messianic prophecy in Daniel chapter 9. You think a prophecy that detailed was fulfilled by chance? You think all the other Messianic prophecies were fulfilled by chance?
    Not by chance, but on purpose. Comes from hearing the prophecy! And then intending to fulfill it.

Which kinda makes the prophecy right.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree