1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 May '18 10:59
    Here is an assertion ~ a motion for debate, as it were ~ based on something another poster said earlier today"

Atheism has a superficial appeal that can pull in a few people but it ultimately sputters out: it doesn't have any truly persuasive message.

To my way of thinking, atheism is a lack of belief, Furthermore, it is unaffected by the claims of religionists who insist their folklores offer a "persuasive message".

Why do some people ~ not atheists, mind you ~ suggest that atheism should have a "persuasive message" when, in fact, propagating messages is surely a matter for people operating in the realm of competing religious doctrines?
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    23 May '18 11:261 edit
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Here is an assertion ~ a motion for debate, as it were ~ based on something another poster said earlier today"

[b]Atheism has a superficial appeal that can pull in a few people but it ultimately sputters out: it doesn't have any truly persuasive message.

To my way of thinking, atheism is a lack of belief, Furthermore, it is unaffected by the claims o ...[text shortened]... messages is surely a matter for people operating in the realm of competing religious doctrines?[/b]
    A deeper question is, "What is the appeal of the belief system for those who make such assertions?".

Typically the answer is that it is self-serving. That is certainly the case, for example, for the vast majority of strains of Christianity: God is there to serve THEM.

As such what they are in effect asking is, "What is the appeal of a belief system that does not serve ME so well?". If the belief system in question is not more self-serving, then it is not "persuasive" for THEM.
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Taken by aliens
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 May '18 12:58
    Christian. - "I'm important. My enemies will perish......I'm important."

Atheist. - "In the great scheme of things, I'm not that important. My enemies might prosper, but ultimately, we'll all perish."
  4. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    23 May '18 13:09
    “There are arguments for atheism, and they do not depend, and never did depend, upon science. They are arguable enough, as far as they go, upon a general survey of life; only it happens to be a superficial survey of life.”

― G.K. Chesterton
  5. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    23 May '18 13:13
    “When men choose not to believe in God, they do not thereafter believe in nothing, they then become capable of believing in anything.”

― G.K. Chesterton
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    23 May '18 13:15
    “The worst moment for an atheist is when he feels a profound sense of gratitude and has no one to thank.”
    - G.K. Chesterton
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Taken by aliens
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 May '18 13:16
    “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

Mahatma Gandhi
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Taken by aliens
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 May '18 13:17
    “One would go mad if one took the Bible seriously, but to take it seriously one must be already mad.”

Aleister Crowley,
  9. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Taken by aliens
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 May '18 13:19
    “It is because ye are sunk in the cruelty of superstition, or feel no interest in the honour of your Creator, that ye listen to the horrid tales of the Bible, or hear them with callous indifference. The evidence I have produced, and shall still produce in the course of this work, to prove that the Bible is without authority, will, whilst it wounds the stubbornness of a priest, relieve and tranquilize the minds of millions: it will free them from all those hard thoughts of the Almighty which priest-craft and the Bible had infused into their minds, and which stood in everlasting opposition to all their ideas of his moral justice and benevolence.”

Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Taken by aliens
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 May '18 13:20
    'Religion is a delusion propagated by a combination of ignorance, art, and fear, fanned into longevity and ubiquity by the power it gave those in command.'

P. W. Atkins
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Taken by aliens
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 May '18 13:22
    Saved the best for last:

'I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.'

Stephen Roberts
  12. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    23 May '18 13:24
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    “It is because ye are sunk in the cruelty of superstition, or feel no interest in the honour of your Creator, that ye listen to the horrid tales of the Bible, or hear them with callous indifference. The evidence I have produced, and shall still produce in the course of this work, to prove that the Bible is without authority, will, whilst it wounds t ...[text shortened]... on to all their ideas of his moral justice and benevolence.”

Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason
    All powerful quotes Ghost.
    Though I never imagined I'd agree with anything Crowley said.
    He's a bit too dark for me.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 May '18 13:28
    Struth!
  14. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    23 May '18 13:30
    A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell.
    C. S. Lewis
  15. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    23 May '18 13:31
    Atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning.
    C. S. Lewis

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree