1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    23 May '18 13:34
    My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?
    C. S. Lewis
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 May '18 14:03
    Originally posted by @wolfe63
    All powerful quotes Ghost.
    Though I never imagined I'd agree with anything Crowley said.
    He's a bit too dark for me.
    Stick with Gandhi sir. 😉
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 May '18 14:073 edits
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Christian. - "I'm important. My enemies will perish......I'm important."

Atheist. - "In the great scheme of things, I'm not that important. My enemies might prosper, but ultimately, we'll all perish."
    I disagree. I've noticed that the vast number of atheists I've run into are for Big Government, and it makes sense. If there is no God then the job is vacant, so who is going to save us?

That's right, the ruling elite will save us. Just give them all your money and power and they will do just that. Without these uber important people will would all be dying in the streets! In fact, the entire Earth will just destroy itself.

As for atheism having a message, it does not need one. It is for the lazy. Just say, "Prove God exists" and when no such proof avails itself from others just choose to live life the way you see fit.

The vast majority of those who give their time and money to the poor are those who practice their faith.
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 May '18 14:09
    Originally posted by @whodey
    I disagree. I've noticed that the vast number of atheists I've run into are for Big Government, and it makes sense. If there is no God then the job is vacant, so who is going to save us?

That's right, the ruling elite will save us. Just give them all your money and power and they will do just that. Without these uber important people will would all be dying in the streets! In fact, the entire Earth will just destroy itself.
    Are you important Whodey? Will your enemies perish?
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 May '18 14:102 edits
    Are you important Whodey? Will your enemies perish?
    Important to whom or to what?

It's all relative.

I'm not important to YOU.
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 May '18 14:17
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Important to whom or to what?

It's all relative.

I'm not important to YOU.
    Are you important, in the great scheme of things?

Will your enemies perish?
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 May '18 14:271 edit
    Are you important, in the great scheme of things?

Will your enemies perish?
    That question assumes my enemies are important.

What is the perspective of the "Great scheme of things"? I dare say that the "Great Scheme of things" has no perspective.
  8. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    23 May '18 15:04
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Here is an assertion ~ a motion for debate, as it were ~ based on something another poster said earlier today"

[b]Atheism has a superficial appeal that can pull in a few people but it ultimately sputters out: it doesn't have any truly persuasive message.

To my way of thinking, atheism is a lack of belief, Furthermore, it is unaffected by the claims o ...[text shortened]... messages is surely a matter for people operating in the realm of competing religious doctrines?[/b]
    As Christians are often judged by the behavior of Christians, atheists are likewise judged. It's human nature. That said, a simple, bland, "lack of belief" in no way whatsoever describes 99% of the atheists I've come across.
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    23 May '18 15:44
    “Vladimir: I don't understand.
    Estragon: Use your intelligence, can't you?
    Vladimir uses his intelligence.
    Vladimir: (finally) I remain in the dark.”
    ― Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    23 May '18 16:192 edits
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    As Christians are often judged by the behavior of Christians, atheists are likewise judged. It's human nature. That said, a simple, bland, "lack of belief" in no way whatsoever describes 99% of the atheists I've come across.
    A statistic that deserves scrutiny.

Edit: If atheists wore vest-bombs, how many would shout "I lack belief in god!" as they detonate them?

In other words, Maybe god-deniers are 99 times as noisy as belief-lackers.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 May '18 16:421 edit
    Christian. - "I'm important. My enemies will perish......I'm important."

Atheist. - "In the great scheme of things, I'm not that important. My enemies might prosper, but ultimately, we'll all perish."
    This is a complete misrepresentation of Christianity and how Christians think. It’s genuinely shocking you don’t realize the sinfulness of pride and importance of humility in God’s eyes and a Christian’s eye.

Pride was the cause of Lucifer’s fall and admonitions against it are throughout the Bible. Why you would think a genuine Christian would puff out his chest and say, “I’m important” is beyond me and contradictory to Holy Scriptures.

Your short fantasy quote from a Christian is also wrong in that Jesus Christ taught people to love their enemies and ask God to bless their enemies and that is what Christians are expected to do and what many (though probably not enough) Christians genuinely do.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 May '18 16:49
    Saved the best for last:

'I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.'

Stephen Roberts
    That’s the best?

There is overwhelming evidence to support the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. There is scant, if any, evidence to support other religions. That’s just a fact, Jack.

I dismiss all the other (false) gods due to lack of evidence. How does that square with Stephen Roberts dismissing the God of Christianity? Has he looked at and examined the evidence? I very strongly doubt it as atheists who have examined the evidence for Jesus Christ’s Resurrection with an open mind and heart come away believers.
  13. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    23 May '18 16:51
    Originally posted by @js357
    A statistic that deserves scrutiny.

Edit: If atheists wore vest-bombs, how many would shout "I lack belief in god!" as they detonate them?

In other words, Maybe god-deniers are 99 times as noisy as belief-lackers.
    Add to the skewing of the stat that nearly all atheists I come across are internet atheists who enjoy the advantage of expressing their opinions without fear of real-life repercussions.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 May '18 16:53
    Stick with Gandhi sir. 😉
    Gandhi’s quote is hardly a refutation of (or even argument against) God’s existence or the truth of Jesus Christ’s Resurrection.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 May '18 17:47
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    Add to the skewing of the stat that nearly all atheists I come across are internet atheists who enjoy the advantage of expressing their opinions without fear of real-life repercussions.
    I know what the "real-life repercussions" can be for atheists where I live for talking about their atheism online. What did you have in mind?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree