Atheists against Jesus?

Atheists against Jesus?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
27 May 08

Originally posted by josephw
It doesn't. But if Socrates had risen from the grave it sure would!

It's the resurrection of Jesus that changes everything isn't it?

I know, I know, you don't believe in the resurrection.
All praise the zombie Jesus.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
27 May 08

Originally posted by bbarr
All praise the zombie Jesus.
It's your problem!

I'm not one of those Christians that gets worked up over some one's blasphemies. I find it rather hilarious. Even entertaining.

It serves to confirm my faith.

Cape Town

Moves
27 May 08

It's the resurrection of Jesus that changes everything isn't it?
Why?
Because it is a miracle - thus proof that he was capable of magic?
Because it shows his suicide was not in fact a symptom of mental illness?
Because it shows that he was not infact sacrificing anything?
Because it proves that he 'conquered' death. The death that most Christians simulatenously fear and don't believe in? The death that Jesus claimed did not exist and therefore could not 'conquer'?
Really, how does it change his teachings on morality?

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
27 May 08

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
Can you provide words of Jesus that support your objection "to earning my eternal vicarious redemption through the gruesome and injust death of another person"?

If you want to use the Gospel of Thomas that's fine with me.
If all you're interested in is an atheists view of Jesus' moral teachings, unconstrained by the later interpretation of the events of his supposed existence...then all I can say is I'd place him somewhere above L. Ron Hubbard and Moses, but probably lower on the list than Confucius or Aesop.

Cape Town

Moves
27 May 08

If I jump off a ten story building it is suicide because after I jump it's too late. Jesus could have stopped the whole show moments before his death. But he chose not to out of obedience to his father.
Thats ridiculous. Availability of last minute change of mind has nothing to do with the definition of suicide.
I suspect that one common usage of the term suicide is 'killing oneself with the primary purpose of terminating your life.' I don't think Jesus' death fits that description.
I remember a discussion about whether or not the people who jumped off the towers to avoid the flames on 9/11 were committing suicide.

However, if we broaden the definition to all intentional cases of killing oneself or even more broadly all cases of intentionally entering a situation in which death is a certain outcome then Jesus does fit it. Jesus knowingly entered a situation in which he knew he would die and further, according to Christians, his death was a goal of the action ie his death was not simply an unavoidable by product.

The word suicide can also be used in this fashion: 'it would be suicide to drink a bottle of whiskey then drive a racing car'.
It would be perfectly correct English to say:
"It was suicide for Jesus to enter Jerusalem knowing that he had enemies amongst the pharisees."

T

Moves
27 May 08

Joh 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.
Is this verse supposed to somehow refute what I posted? Notice that he doesn't state or even imply that all one need do is profess belief that Jesus died for everyone's sins. What do you think he meant?

Here's a clue:
John 3:36 "He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him."

T

Moves
27 May 08

Originally posted by David C
If all you're interested in is an atheists view of Jesus' moral teachings, unconstrained by the later interpretation of the events of his supposed existence...then all I can say is I'd place him somewhere above L. Ron Hubbard and Moses, but probably lower on the list than Confucius or Aesop.
Like I said earlier. There's an important distinction that needs to be made between the teaching of Jesus and what "Christianity" teaches.

F

Moves
27 May 08

John 3:36 "He who believes in the Son has eternal life; [b]but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him."[/b]
That's a threat! That's black mail!
That's not words from a loving god. That's words from an evil god.

T

Moves
27 May 08

Originally posted by FabianFnas
That's a threat! That's black mail!
That's not words from a loving god. That's words from an evil god.
Nice try. It's the words of John the Baptist.

T

Moves
27 May 08

Originally posted by SwissGambit
Seems a valid interpretation to me.
No doubt.

F

Moves
27 May 08

Nice try. It's the words of John the Baptist.
You mean, that's not the word of god? It's all made up by this fellow, what's his name, the baptist John? Oh, well, then there is nothing to it...

T

Moves
27 May 08

You mean, that's not the word of god? It's all made up by this fellow, what's his name, the baptist John? Oh, well, then there is nothing to it...
Good one.

F

Moves
27 May 08

Good one.
Actually, I'm not here to win a discussion, to produce nifty one-liners. I want to know how christians see on these issues. (I do, I really do!)

Like: I cannot ever understand how christians can se a god loving and caring, and at the same time fear him and read in the book how evil he is! Like this verse you quoted. Never that I'm able to lower myself to believe in such a nasty god. It is a paradox for me.

And a lot of other things. Like the christians doesn't agree to eachother, and think only they themselves go to heaven and all other christian believers, that differs only in small details, go to hell. And at the same time think this is right! Oh, my, I just can't understand it.

T

Moves
27 May 08

Actually, I'm not here to win a discussion, to produce nifty one-liners. I want to know how christians see on these issues. (I do, I really do!)

Like: I cannot ever understand how christians can se a god loving and caring, and at the same time fear him and read in the book how evil he is! Like this verse you quoted. Never that I'm able to lower myself ...[text shortened]... s, go to hell. And at the same time think this is right! Oh, my, I just can't understand it.
Well, that's a different thread. This thread is about the teachings of Jesus which is quite different from much of 'Christianity'.

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
27 May 08

Like usual all you do is sling mud hoping that something will stick. Seems like the only thing that you can do is hope to keep the person busy with distortions and false accusations. If you can manage to present something substantial, I'll be glad to address it.
Exposing contradictions in someone's position is not slinging mud. Twice I have experienced you as running away from any debate concerning what Jesus said about the Holy Spirit , so that's substantial evidence for what I have said. I have also noticed how you quote Jesus's words with repetitive ferocity when it supports your position without any doubts expressed as to their veracity. So why doubt his words on other things?

BTW- Accusing me of mud slinging is an easy way out that prevents you from facing the point I am making (once again highly convenient). You seem to consistently choose the path of least resistance whilst hiding yourself from the truth that you have been caught with your pants down.