Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Spirituality

Spirituality

  1. Subscriber Tom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    15 Jul '18 19:28
    From the perspective of the doctrine of Annihilation

    Atheists have absolutely no reason to complain, if the Annihilationist Christian is right. Atheists believe when we die, our experience completely terminates--which is no different than annihilation. And besides, we often hear rhetoric from the atheists on the internet, saying something to the effect of "I wouldn't want to spend eternity worshiping THAT God." If anything God should be praised by the atheist for disallowing such a scenario, through the use of annihilation.
  2. Standard member karoly aczel
    the Devil himself
    16 Jul '18 01:37
    Then why do the A Christians complain more than the atheists?
  3. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    16 Jul '18 03:00
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    If anything God should be praised by the atheist for disallowing such a scenario, through the use of annihilation.
    How can atheists "praise" a god or gods? All that theists have are ideologies. If you have an ideology that encompasses things of the philosophical calibre of humans die, bears poo in the woods, and the pope is a Catholic, why would it deserve "praise"? Theists tell themselves that they are going to have everlasting life if they think X, Y and Z. So what? Why would those notions deserve "praise"?
  4. Standard member sonship
    the corrected one.
    16 Jul '18 06:57 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by @fmf
    How can atheists "praise" a god or gods? All that theists have are ideologies. If you have an ideology that encompasses things of the philosophical calibre of humans die, bears poo in the woods, and the pope is a Catholic, why would it deserve "praise"? Theists tell themselves that they are going to have everlasting life if they think X, Y and Z. So what? Why would those notions deserve "praise"?
    Nice parade of strawmen.

    It kind of reminds me of the Marti gras in New Orleans. Big headed puppets marched down the street.

    Meanwhile we have Someone who arguably conquered death and the grave as an authority on the subject of "is physical death the end of man?"

    Not everybody chooses to ignore the elephant in the living room.

    The Resurrection Argument That Changed a Generation of Scholars - Gary Habermas at UCSB

    Just listen to the first FOUR minutes if you can't take it all.

    YouTube : =RessectionArgument
  5. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    16 Jul '18 07:58
    Originally posted by @sonship
    Nice parade of strawmen.
    Don't be oafish, sonship. Atheists aren't to praise a god or gods or someone else's god figure. They're atheists.

    And the idea that atheists somehow need to "praise" somebody else's partisan religious ideology simply because it says 'people die' [i.e. annihilation] while certain religionists with doubleplusgoodthink will be immortal, is plain daft. They're atheists.
  6. Standard member sonship
    the corrected one.
    16 Jul '18 09:20 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Don't be oafish, sonship. Atheists aren't to praise a god or gods or someone else's god figure. They're atheists.

    And the idea that atheists somehow need to "praise" somebody else's partisan religious ideology simply because it says 'people die' [i.e. annihilation] while certain religionists with doubleplusgoodthink will be immortal, is plain daft. They're atheists.
    Strawmen, easy to knock down.

    As for praise, let's just substitute the word thank.
    Let's just say THANKS is virtually a form of PRAISE.

    Just out of curiosity tell us who it is you would THANK or perhaps NOT THANK for each one of these items. If NOT GOD is your answer please just write that down after that item


    1.) That you were not born mentally retarded - Who would you thank?

    2.) That you are able to digest your foot without major problems - WHo would you thank?

    3.) That you had hours this week to enjoy doing the things you love - Who would you thank?

    4.) That you had a sound enough body to work for a living and pay your rent / mortgage - Who would you thank?

    5.) That the sun came up again after the night - Who could you thank for that ?

    6.) That you have good eyes to see the light, good ears to hear your music, and good mouth to speak your mind - Who would you thank for any of this ?

    7.) That you don't have to believe in any supernatural beings or any gods - Who would you thank for that ?

    8.) That you had another day of life to enjoy today - Who might get some thanks for that ?

    9.) That you can reason and rationalize why Atheism is a good way to live - Who might you thank for this?

    10.) That you are not today on your death bed with some debilitating disease. Who might you thank for that?
  7. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    16 Jul '18 09:22 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @sonship
    Strawmen, easy to knock down.

    As for praise, let's just substitute the word [b] thank.

    Let's just say THANKS is virtually a form of PRAISE.

    Just out of curiosity tell us who it is you would THANK or perhaps NOT THANK for each one of these items. If NOT GOD is your answer please just write that down after that item


    1.) That you we ...[text shortened]... u are not today on your death bed with some debilitating disease. Who might you thank for that?[/b]
    Don't be so silly. Atheists cannot "praise" gods.
  8. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    16 Jul '18 09:25
    Originally posted by @sonship
    Who would you thank? [...] Who would you thank? [...] Who would you thank? [...] Who would you thank? [...] Who would you thank? [...] Who would you thank? [...] Who would you thank? [...] Who would you thank? [...] Who would you thank? [...] Who would you thank? [...]
    "Who would you thank? " What on earth are you on about?
  9. Standard member karoly aczel
    the Devil himself
    16 Jul '18 10:01
    Originally posted by @sonship
    Strawmen, easy to knock down.

    As for praise, let's just substitute the word [b] thank.

    Let's just say THANKS is virtually a form of PRAISE.

    Just out of curiosity tell us who it is you would THANK or perhaps NOT THANK for each one of these items. If NOT GOD is your answer please just write that down after that item


    1.) That you we ...[text shortened]... u are not today on your death bed with some debilitating disease. Who might you thank for that?[/b]
    I'd rather digest someone elses foot if it's all the same to you
  10. 16 Jul '18 10:21
    Originally posted by @sonship
    1.) That you were not born mentally retarded - Who would you thank?
    Leaving aside FMF's mental state for a moment, if someone is born "mentally retarded" should they be the opposite of "thanking god" i.e. blaming god...

    Does god, in your opinion, get the praise and the blame, or just the praise when things go well?
  11. Subscriber Tom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    16 Jul '18 14:29
    Originally posted by @fmf
    How can atheists "praise" a god or gods? All that theists have are ideologies. If you have an ideology that encompasses things of the philosophical calibre of humans die, bears poo in the woods, and the pope is a Catholic, why would it deserve "praise"? Theists tell themselves that they are going to have everlasting life if they think X, Y and Z. So what? Why would those notions deserve "praise"?
    It was assumed but I forgot some people need it spelled out. IF God exists and annihilates the atheist, then God would deserve praise based on the atheist desire not to spend eternity in God's presence.
  12. Subscriber Tom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    16 Jul '18 14:29
    Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
    Then why do the A Christians complain more than the atheists?
    Why do atheists complain more than Christians?
  13. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    16 Jul '18 14:39
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    It was assumed but I forgot some people need it spelled out. IF God exists and annihilates the atheist, then God would deserve praise based on the atheist desire not to spend eternity in God's presence.
    Atheists don't believe in a god or gods, you clot. Atheists can't "praise" a god or gods for annihilationism. Atheists don't have a "desire to not spend eternity in the presence of [a] God" that they lack belief in. You're wittering on as if it's the first time you've ever talked to atheists.
  14. Subscriber Tom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    16 Jul '18 15:16
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Atheists don't believe in a god or gods, you clot. Atheists can't "praise" a god or gods for annihilationism. Atheists don't have a "desire to not spend eternity in the presence of [a] God" that they lack belief in. You're wittering on as if it's the first time you've ever talked to atheists.
    I've been talking to atheists on the subject of God for nearly 2 decades, idiot. You apparently don't understand remedial concepts such as "If A is true, then B." Not surprising.
  15. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    16 Jul '18 15:34
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    I've been talking to atheists on the subject of God for nearly 2 decades, idiot. You apparently don't understand remedial concepts such as "If A is true, then B." Not surprising.
    Atheists don't "praise" gods and they don't "desire" not to "spend eternity" with anybody's god or gods. If you really have been talking this way to atheists "for nearly 2 decades", you should not be boasting about it.