1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    21 Sep '05 15:27
    Originally posted by Joe Fist
    I think it is a sense of ironic justice that the most vocal and rabid proponents of Christianity who express themselves here are perhaps the most inarticulate.
    Not to mention the worst at reading. I don't think Nic understood my joke about Mama. I certainly wasn't talking about his mama.
  2. London
    Moves
    21 Sep '05 15:30
    Originally posted by Joe Fist
    I think it is a sense of ironic justice that the most vocal and rabid proponents of Christianity who express themselves here are perhaps the most inarticulate. I guess that is more prove of "God working in mysterious ways".
    The same could be said of the most vocal and rabid anti-Christians here as well.
  3. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    21 Sep '05 15:32
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    The same could be said of the most vocal and rabid anti-Christians here as well.
    Hear. Hear.
  4. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    21 Sep '05 17:01
    Hear, hear.
  5. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    21 Sep '05 19:14
    Here? Here!
  6. Standard memberAsthereal
    Dark Matter
    Maastricht
    Moves
    23 Sep '05 19:12
    Originally posted by caissad4
    Speaking from my own personal experience, I have studied many religions including yours.
    Your religion fails to satisfy even simple logic:
    Why does your god create people who he knows will not accept him thus condemning them to burn eternally.
    Reading your religious texts objectively reveals a pattern of contradiction
    which indicates either god is of ma ...[text shortened]... fit and/or create different societal or cultural environments.

In Love there is Life
    Angela
    Haha! Nice one! Finally someone who looks further than just the idea of religion. For my part: I don't believe in God or his son for several reasons, including: - No god who's ways are with love could create so much death, or could even create such an evil race (face it: mankind does about everything wrong). - No-one has ever been able to prove his existance, and a decent lawstudent has to say "the one who claims existance is the one who proves it". - When I was very young I was a christian and those were the worst years of my life, and praying never helped me a thing.
    For now that must be enough. People should just be nice to eachother. We shouldn't need a bible or a god for that! So much for my message: avoiding god is not wrong, but not being nice to fellow humans is!
  7. Standard memberAsthereal
    Dark Matter
    Maastricht
    Moves
    23 Sep '05 19:25
    Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
    I find you people frightening!
    These people frighten me only when they reach fundamentalism. there is nothing wrong with religion in itself, because people should believe whichever makes them happy, but when they go too far and kill people over their religion everything goes wrong.
    Luckily the people here only dig in the bible to find threats for non-believers, that's not very scary for me because I don't believe in hell or even destiny for that matter. I'll just be around trying to make me and the people I love as happy as possible and if everyone would just do the same, there'd be no war, no fighting, no arguing, heck! there wouldn't even be this discussion. So everyone here think for yourself: "What am I doing wrong? Who have I hurt in my life?" Answer those questions, apologise and try to be nice to others! That is the answer, and if you want to find it via a god, be my guest, I don't care as long as you're nice to others.
  8. Standard memberAsthereal
    Dark Matter
    Maastricht
    Moves
    23 Sep '05 19:33
    Originally posted by bbarr
    You bash homosexuals in your heart, you hate-filled neo-fascist.
    This is exactly what I've been trying to avoid all my life: people who say these things to others. Hell, Bbarr, you don't even know that guy! Where did he harm you personally? Oh and by the way: I thought Christians were pretty much into "forgiving"... Guess this one is a bit out of tune :-S.
    For the rest, read my other messages!
  9. Joined
    06 Jul '05
    Moves
    23 Sep '05 20:29
    Originally posted by Nicolaas
    How come so many ppl avoid Jesus, the Son of God?
    Avoid God? For some, the very idea is akin to a fish avoiding water.

Many people (most people?) will certainly avoid someone trying to proselytize them. That doesn't mean they are avoiding God; they are just avoiding a person who is being a nuisance.

Aggressive and persistent proselytizing makes people feel disrespected. It arouses distrust and ire. (Perhaps you notice that in this forum.) It doesn't work. Who will listen to you if they do not trust you?

Words and names can be debated endlessly. They are a false home. The most zealous and determined preacher avoids God himself if he departs from true peace into fighting for other people's minds. We have nothing to teach others. Only a heart truly changed can do anything.
  10. Standard memberJoe Fist
    Troubador
    Land of Fist
    Moves
    23 Sep '05 20:58
    Originally posted by Asthereal
    Haha! Nice one! Finally someone who looks further than just the idea of religion. For my part: I don't believe in God or his son for several reasons, including: - No god who's ways are with love could create so much death, or could even create such an evil race (face it: mankind does about everything wrong). - No-one has ever been able to prove his exist ...[text shortened]... that! So much for my message: avoiding god is not wrong, but not being nice to fellow humans is!
    Here, here
  11. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    23 Sep '05 22:21
    Originally posted by Asthereal
    This is exactly what I've been trying to avoid all my life: people who say these things to others. Hell, Bbarr, you don't even know that guy! Where did he harm you personally? Oh and by the way: I thought Christians were pretty much into "forgiving"... Guess this one is a bit out of tune :-S.
    For the rest, read my other messages!
    I call them like I see them, and I have no use for bigots. If you want to force women to carry unwanted pregnancies to term, then you think it permissible to treat women as chattel. If you want to prevent loving same-sex couples from marrying, then you think it permissible for the state to impose your personal, idiosyncratic value system upon citizens, and to discriminate against citizens. This is why people who think these things are misogynists and bigots.
  12. Joined
    04 Aug '04
    Moves
    23 Sep '05 23:29
    [b]I call them like I see them, and I have no use for bigots. If you want to force women to carry unwanted pregnancies to term, then you think it permissible to treat women as chattel.
    If your mother terminated you, you would have not had the opportunity to defend her position. True?
  13. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    23 Sep '05 23:42
    Originally posted by lioyank
    If your mother terminated you, you would have not had the opportunity to defend her position. True?
    Good thing for abortions that she didn't have one! Of course, if she had had an abortion, she wouldn't have aborted me, but the fetus that would turn into the biological organism in which I am instantiated. Anyway, had Hitler's mother aborted him, we wouldn't have had Hitler! So, it's quite stupid to argue for or against abortions on the basis of the character or actions of the future person.
  14. Joined
    04 Aug '04
    Moves
    24 Sep '05 00:05
    Good thing for abortions that she didn't have one! Of course, if she had had an abortion, she wouldn't have aborted me, but the fetus that would turn into the biological organism in which I am instantiated. Anyway, had Hitler's mother aborted him, we wouldn't have had Hitler! So, it's quite stupid to argue for or against abortions on the basis of the character or actions of the future person.
    It's funny that you should bring Hitler into this. Well, not really funny, but that's just how the expression goes. I just wanted to say that I WILL address your post at a later time, for the most part because it will take me more time.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Sep '05 01:34
    Originally posted by Nicolaas
    Will it help answering them, since you've already made up your mind?

Everything in life has rules. We have to accept that God exists, and I really dont care what you or anyone in the world say.
    The main problem with your position is its all words, only words, never
    will be anything but words. Give me something real. Not more words.
    Real means, let you god make a hole in our universe so we can see
    him/her/it, whatever. Have him/her/it strike me dead or fix my
    dad where he got shot and killed by a robber. I am afraid all you will
    ever have here are a fullisade of words without end.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree