1. old pueblo
    Moves
    07 Jun '13 23:18
    (note -- Avon saleswomen used to go door to door trying to sell their makeup and perfume, etc.)

I have lived in this apartment two or three weeks. Twice now, people have come to the door trying to sell me their brand of religion. The second time, I told the woman "I don't discuss religion with people at my door." She looked stunned and said "You don't?"

I know there are JWs and Mormons here who believe that (a) they must share their religion and (b) apparently the only way to do that is to knock on people's doors.

Personally, I don't want anyone knocking on my door or telephoning me to sell me anything.

What about you? What do you say to them?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jun '13 23:234 edits
    Originally posted by Sahuaro
    (note -- Avon saleswomen used to go door to door trying to sell their makeup and perfume, etc.)

I have lived in this apartment two or three weeks. Twice now, people have come to the door trying to sell me their brand of religion. The second time, I told the woman "I don't discuss religion with people at my door." She looked stunned and said "You don't? door or telephoning me to sell me anything.

no its not the only way and if you tell a Jehovahs witness that you dont want them to call, they should take a note of it and refrain from calling, after all, we want to spend our time talking to people who are interested and there are a lot who are, not wasting our time with those who are not.

I can tell you the most common thing that is said to me,

I have my own religion
    I am not interested,

To which I usually say, have a nice day.

Jehovahs witnesses dont sell anything. all our literature, including Bibles is available without charge.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    09 Jun '13 08:35
    Is Nothing Sacred Anymore

YouTube
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    09 Jun '13 09:131 edit
    Originally posted by Sahuaro

I have lived in this apartment two or three weeks. Twice now, people have come to the door trying to sell me their brand of religion. The second time, I told the woman "I don't discuss religion with people at my door." She looked stunned and said "You don't? door or telephoning me to sell me anything.

I invite them in, make them feel at home as best I can, and share what I
    believe as they share with me. After I answer all their questions and give
    them a few of my own, they will bascially lie to me after that, saying they
    will return and do not.
    Kelly
  5. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    09 Jun '13 10:04
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    will return and do not.
    Kelly
    So what is your point?

Are you saying that they are scam artists or something?
    False prophets? Misguided people?
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    09 Jun '13 14:281 edit
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    So what is your point?

Are you saying that they are scam artists or something?
    False prophets? Misguided people?
    My point was to answer what I say and do when they come to my door.
    Kelly
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    09 Jun '13 20:12
    Kelly
    I believe johnnylongwoody was referring to the part where you say they will bascially lie to me after that, saying they will return and do not.

He wants to know what was your point in adding this claim as to what they do at the end of your encounter. It appears that their actions suggest they are some kind of scam artists to johnnylongwoody, do you agree or perhaps you have a different conclusion.

The Instructor
  8. Standard memberempovsun
    Adepto 'er perfectu
    Moves
    09 Jun '13 20:20
    will return and do not.
    Kelly
    that's good of you to invite them in
    most people are just jerks about it
    like they were criminals, or some such nonsense

nothing wrong with having a nice chat with a bit of tea or lemonade
    JW's are pretty peaceful/nonviolent, from what i've seen
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Jun '13 22:55
    Originally posted by empovsun
    that's good of you to invite them in
    most people are just jerks about it
    like they were criminals, or some such nonsense

nothing wrong with having a nice chat with a bit of tea or lemonade
    JW's are pretty peaceful/nonviolent, from what i've seen
    actually most people are apathetic towards religion in general, or politely disinterested, some people are jerks, but its more a reflection of them. I think in almost twenty years going from house to house, I can count on one hand the number of people who were jerks. We take a note of people who are aggressive and simply dont go there, life is too short for fussin and fightin.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    09 Jun '13 23:23
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    actually most people are apathetic towards religion in general, or politely disinterested, some people are jerks, but its more a reflection of them. I think in almost twenty years going from house to house, I can count on one hand the number of people who were jerks. We take a note of people who are aggressive and simply dont go there, life is too short for fussin and fightin.
    So in that case do they just lie and say they will return and then don't?

The Instructor
  11. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    09 Jun '13 23:462 edits
    Years ago two men came to my door. I could tell from the literature they handed me that they were Christian fundamentalists. I kept the conversation brief and light. Then I said, "Hey give me a minute." I wrote down the title of a book on a piece of paper, and handed it to the man who had done most of the talking. The title was 'Steve Allen on the Bible, Religion, and Morality.'

Allen's book is not exactly anti-Christian, or anti-faith, so it need not antagonize the believer right off the bat. But it does suggest strongly that the Bible we have available to us in modern times is not free of errors and does not match very well with conventional standards of fairness, goodness and justice.

The two fellows never came back. I wonder if they ever sought out the Allen book. I doubt it, actually. But I tried.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 00:04
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    So in that case do they just lie and say they will return and then don't?

The Instructor
    what are you talking about, you are not making sense, have you been drinking?
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 01:13
    no its not the only way and if you tell a Jehovahs witness that you dont want them to call, they should take a note of it and refrain from calling, after all, we want to spend our time talking to people who are interested and there are a lot who are, not wasting our time with those who are not.

I can tell you the most common thing that is said to ...[text shortened]... witnesses dont sell anything. all our literature, including Bibles is available without charge.
    You godda be kidding. You go door to door hawking your religion. Well, that puts you down a few notches. Not much I hate more than proselytizers. Notice the word, Prose, stories, Ly, lying, tizers, baptizers🙂
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 01:37
    Kelly
    What plainly spoken words.
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 01:471 edit
    "life is too short for fussin and fightin": so true, robbie, yet seems to be part and parcel of life in any realm.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree