Barbershop

Barbershop

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jo'Burg South Africa

Moves
18 Dec 06

A man went to a barbershop to have his hair cut and his beard trimmed.

As the barber began to work, they began to have a good conversation.

They talked about so many things and various subjects.

When they eventually touched on the subject of God, the barber said:

"I don't believe that God exists."

"Why do you say that?" asked the customer.

"Well, you just have to go out in the street to realize that God doesn't exist. Tell me, if God exists, would there be so many sick people?

Would there be abandoned children? If God existed, there would be

neither suffering nor pain. I can't imagine a loving God who would allow all of these things."

The customer thought for a moment, but didn't respond because he didn't want to start an argument.

The barber finished his job and the customer left the shop.

Just after he left the barbershop, he saw a man in the street with long, stringy, dirty hair and an untrimmed beard. He looked dirty and unkempt.

The customer turned back and entered the barber shop again and he said to the barber: "You know what? Barbers do not exist."

"How can you say that?" asked the surprised barber."I am here, and I am a barber. And I just worked on you!"

"No!" the customer exclaimed. "Barbers don't exist because if they did,there would be no people with dirty long hair and untrimmed beards, like that man outside."

"Ah, but barbers DO exist! That's what happens when people do not come to me."

"Exactly!" affirmed the customer. "That's the point! God, too, DOES exist! That's what happens when people do not go to Him and don't look to Him for help. That's why there's so much pain and suffering in the world."

(This was an e-mail I received)

l

Moves
18 Dec 06

Originally posted by Nicksten

...[text shortened]... ng you a joyful Holiday Season and a happy and prosperous 2007
Wow. I've seen some pretty retarded analogies in my day, but I think I may have to make some room at the top. Pretty sure this one is a top 5 contender.

S

Moves
18 Dec 06

...[text shortened]... ng you a joyful Holiday Season and a happy and prosperous 2007
Barbers aren't endowed with limitless power and omnibenevolence, they're a commercial enterprise, the analogy is retarded.

E

Moves
18 Dec 06

Originally posted by Starrman
Barbers aren't endowed with limitless power and omnibenevolence, they're a commercial enterprise, the analogy is retarded.
LOL. im sure it was meant for christians to enjoy, criticizing it is pretty disrespectful since it is what he believes in.

S

Moves
18 Dec 06

Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
LOL. im sure it was meant for christians to enjoy, criticizing it is pretty disrespectful since it is what he believes in.
How is criticising it disrespectful? Are you suggesting the analogy works?

N

The sky

Moves
18 Dec 06

It sounds more like it was meant to convince non-Christians. Not that it's likely to work. And if he posts it here, I assume he wants some discussion. Otherwise he could just send it to all his Christian friends.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
18 Dec 06

Originally posted by Starrman
Interestingly enough, so is your criticism of it.

S

Moves
18 Dec 06

Originally posted by Palynka
Interestingly enough, so is your criticism of it.
How so?

E

Moves
18 Dec 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Nordlys
It sounds more like it was meant to convince non-Christians. Not that it's likely to work. And if he posts it here, I assume he wants some discussion. Otherwise he could just send it to all his Christian friends.
there are Christians on this site. also idc when people criticize Christianity it doesnt bother me. but it might bother other people thats when i say you need to stop

N

The sky

Moves
18 Dec 06

there are Christians on this site. also idc when people criticize Christianity it doesnt bother me. but it might bother other people thats when i say you need to stop
It might also bother non-Christians to be stereotyped in the way that story does. And this is a discussion forum. If you don't want any criticism (even if you post a provocative text), this is not the right platform.

T

Moves
18 Dec 06

"Well, you just have to go out in the street to realize that God doesn't exist. Tell me, if God exists, would there be so many sick people?

Would there be abandoned children? If God existed, there would be

neither suffering nor pain. I can't imagine a loving God who would allow all of these things."
"Exactly!" affirmed the customer. "That's the point! God, too, DOES exist! That's what happens when people do not go to Him and don't look to Him for help. That's why there's so much pain and suffering in the world."

This doesn't seem to make much sense from any perspective. The implication is that sickness, abandoned children, suffering and pain can be avoided by going to God and looking to him for help. There's too much evidence to the contrary. Bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad people. If one is to follow God, this isn't the reason.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
18 Dec 06

Postscript to the story:

And then a great tsunami washed over the land, smashed the barber shop, and swept both the barber and the customer away in its raging waters. The barber, in between mouthfuls of water, turned to the drowing customer and said, "I can see how your god might afflict me with this great evil for not looking to him for help, but how does it come to pass, then, that you, who have sought his help, are afflicted in equal measure? As we both shall drown, I fail to see how your god has been of any help to you at all." The customer, with his last bit of strenth, shook his fist at the heavens and then silently slipped beneath the waves.

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
18 Dec 06

Originally posted by rwingett
Postscript to the story:

And then a great tsunami washed over the land, smashed the barber shop, and swept both the barber and the customer away in its raging waters. The barber, in between mouthfuls of water, turned to the drowing customer and said, "I can see how your god might afflict me with this great evil for not looking to him for help, but how do ...[text shortened]... ast bit of strenth, shook his fist at the heavens and then silently slipped beneath the waves.
...and after he slipped beneath the waves he was forgiven and ressurected to everlasting glory and joy beyond his utterly wildest imaginings and he saw all the people with tears wiped from their eyes enjoying eternal bliss......

N

The sky

Moves
18 Dec 06

Originally posted by knightmeister
...and after he slipped beneath the waves he was forgiven and ressurected to everlasting glory and joy beyond his utterly wildest imaginings and he saw all the people with tears wiped from their eyes enjoying eternal bliss......
Even though he had rejected God while dying?

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
18 Dec 06

Originally posted by Nordlys
Even though he had rejected God while dying?
He didn't reject God...he rejected a 'god' of his own imagination.