1. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    07 Jul '10 20:20
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It isn't. I don't think the gospel writer expected to be taken literally.
    I think it was all about theology and fulfilling prophesy, and I think he expected his readers to understand that.
    I think the idea of taking it all word for word is a more modern and rather naive position.
    ==========================================
    It isn't. I don't think the gospel writer expected to be taken literally.
    I think it was all about theology and fulfilling prophesy, and I think he expected his readers to understand that.
    I think the idea of taking it all word for word is a more modern and rather naive position.
    =========================================

That is not the impression I get from your comments. I get the impression that details were made up to manipulate the reader.

There are plenty of places in the Bible where the seam can be detected between theological concepts and historical details. The line is rather clear in most places.

Perhaps you simply pre-suppose that certain miraculous things never could happen. Yet, you would like to glean something positive from the story. So your "filter" works to explain away what you have rejected a prior.

I still think a good deal of your attitude tells us more about yourself then it does about the Bible.

"As in water face answers to face, so the heart of man to man. " (Prov. 27:19)

The things I am saying to you are not meant disrepectfully. They are my own experience in years of personal Bible reading.

I have just as many thoughts and opinions about things as you do. I learned through experience how man's heart and the word of God can act.
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    07 Jul '10 20:29
    Unbelievers suffer from a mental disorder. They assume that because they lie and deceive so does everybody else.

Jesus was born in Bethlehem just like it says in the Bible. The men who wrote the books contained in the Bible weren't liars. The liars are those who say the men who wrote the books of Bible lied.

Now don't go getting all riled up because you think I called you a liar. None of us were even here when the liars said the Bible is wrong. You simply believe a lie. Quite a few of them in fact.
  3. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    07 Jul '10 20:34
    Originally posted by josephw
    Unbelievers suffer from a mental disorder. They assume that because they lie and deceive so does everybody else.
    I beg your pardon? I don't believe the bible, and I can assure you that I neither lie and deceive nor make such assumptions about others. As to your ridiculous assertion that 'unbelievers suffer from a mental disorder', I ask you, do you really believe this asinine statement?
  4. weedhopper
    Moves
    07 Jul '10 21:01
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    First. here is the reason for the extra distance :

Matt 2:13 .. the angel of the Lord appeareth to Joseph in a dream, saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will seek the young child to destroy him.

Herod killed all the male babes in and around Bethlehem. I gue ...[text shortened]... t you probably should read the Bible for yourself. Its pretty simple to understand ...🙂 Try it.
    Well explained.
  5. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    07 Jul '10 21:291 edit

Jesus was born in Bethlehem just like it says in the Bible. The men who wrote the books contained in the Bible weren't liars. The liars are those who say the men who wrote the books of Bible lied.

Now don't go getting all riled up because ...[text shortened]... when the liars said the Bible is wrong. You simply believe a lie. Quite a few of them in fact.
    I used to think you were about 16yrs old from the content of your posts until i found out how old you were. Reading the drivel you posted above i was doing teenagers an injustice.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    07 Jul '10 21:40
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    I beg your pardon? I don't believe the bible, and I can assure you that I neither lie and deceive nor make such assumptions about others. As to your ridiculous assertion that 'unbelievers suffer from a mental disorder', I ask you, do you really believe this asinine statement?
    Yes. If one doesn't believe the truth, then that one suffers from a mental disorder.

If one believes a lie, and repeats the lie, then that one is lying. Simple logic.

No need to take it personally. I've been accused of much the same and worse.

Actually, This brings up an interesting point. If there be truth, and one does not believe it, Doesn't that sound like there's something wrong with that person?

Of course you'll dance around it with some kind of mental gymnastic, but you'd be wrong just the same.

I'm in a fine mood today, but my time is short, so you had better hurry and load your cannons! 😲🙂 It's for fun. We both know nothing will be settled.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    07 Jul '10 21:44
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    I used to think you were about 16yrs old from the content of your posts until i found out how old you were. Reading the drivel you posted above i was doing teenagers an injustice.
    You're the one that sounds like a child. You think like one too since you don't see how absurd it is to say the writers of the books of the Bible were lying.

You simply don't know that. You only know what the liars say.
  8. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    Yes. If one doesn't believe the truth, then that one suffers from a mental disorder.

If one believes a lie, and repeats the lie, then that one is lying. Simple logic.

Actually, This brings up an interesting point. If there be truth, and one does not believe it, Doesn't th ...[text shortened]... er hurry and load your cannons! 😲🙂 It's for fun. We both know nothing will be settled.
    You are truly crazy. I'm glad it's a happy crazy, nevertheless.
  9. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves

Actually, This brings up an interesting point. If there be truth, and one does not believe it, Doesn't th ...[text shortened]... er hurry and load your cannons! 😲🙂 It's for fun. We both know nothing will be settled.
    What is the 'truth'?
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    07 Jul '10 21:46
    What is the 'truth'?
    Christ
  11. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    07 Jul '10 21:49
    Christ
    So i have to believe what you believe, otherwise i have a mental disorder?!

You know you were asking what a bigot is.................you are one.

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices. The correct use of the term requires the elements of intolerance, irrationality, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigotry

You learn something everyday.
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    07 Jul '10 21:531 edit
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    You are truly crazy. I'm glad it's a happy crazy, nevertheless.
    roflmao

Ask yourself, a self proclaiming honest person, why would the writers of the books of the Bible lie?

It's a lie that they lied. That's the truth.

You didn't read my whole post did you?
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    07 Jul '10 21:57

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices. The correct use of the term requires the elements of intolerance, irrationality, and animosity toward ...[text shortened]... differing beliefs.

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices. The correct use of the term requires the elements of intolerance, irrationality, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

And you are a hypocrite.

None of that definition applies to me. What I believe isn't my opinion. Your talking about yourself and you don't even realise it.
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    07 Jul '10 22:01

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices. The correct use of the term requires the elements of intolerance, irrationality, and animosity toward ...[text shortened]... differing beliefs.

No knob head. You have to believe the truth.

Quit being a hypocrite. Remember, there is no truth? So you say. So then when I say there is you call me a bigot.

Freaking bizarre!
  15. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    07 Jul '10 22:03
    http://www.watchtower.org/e/200711/article_03.htm

Some very good info on why the Bible is true...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree