1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Joined
    14 Mar '15
    Moves
    8549
    12 Jun '17 09:36
    'Do they not see the birds controlled in the atmosphere of the sky? none holds them up except Allah. Indeed in that are signs for a people who believe.' Quran (16:79)

    I quite like this verse from the Quran and wondered if there were any equivalent verses from the bible? The analogy of God holding up His believers as the wind might a bird is really quite beautiful. (Initially I thought it was saying that birds in flight were evidence for belief, but then why would such signs be necessary for the believer?)

    I thought of Isaiah 40:31, but perhaps there is a better one?

    "But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles..."
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Joined
    24 May '04
    Moves
    148450
    12 Jun '17 10:24
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    'Do they not see the birds controlled in the atmosphere of the sky? none holds them up except Allah. Indeed in that are signs for a people who believe.' Quran (16:79)

    I quite like this verse from the Quran and wondered if there were any equivalent verses from the bible? The analogy of God holding up His believers as the wind might a bird is reall ...[text shortened]... who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles..."
    Because it is about faith, God shows us signs and the universe around us declares God.
    Those that miss Him, even if they see theses signs will still see what He shows us in the
    universe around us.
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91634
    13 Jun '17 03:42
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Because it is about faith, God shows us signs and the universe around us declares God.
    Those that miss Him, even if they see theses signs will still see what He shows us in the
    universe around us.
    Why do you need faith?
    I mean you in particular. You seem pretty convinced of the existence of 'God'
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Joined
    24 May '04
    Moves
    148450
    13 Jun '17 04:25
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Why do you need faith?
    I mean you in particular. You seem pretty convinced of the existence of 'God'
    Ephesians 2:8
    For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

    Mark 9:24
    And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

    God gives us what we require, then we walk out our faith, doing that which we know to do.
    All of the actions of those in scripture that believed, were done, because they believed, if
    they didn't, they would not have taken the stands they did, and done those things they did.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35529
    13 Jun '17 13:01
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    'Do they not see the birds controlled in the atmosphere of the sky? none holds them up except Allah. Indeed in that are signs for a people who believe.' Quran (16:79)

    I quite like this verse from the Quran and wondered if there were any equivalent verses from the bible? The analogy of God holding up His believers as the wind might a bird is reall ...[text shortened]... who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles..."
    There is this, from the Sermon on the Mount:

    "Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

    Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?

    And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:

    And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

    Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?" -- Matthew 6:26-30, KJV
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Joined
    14 Mar '15
    Moves
    8549
    13 Jun '17 17:51
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    There is this, from the Sermon on the Mount:

    "Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

    Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?

    And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, h ...[text shortened]... into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?" -- Matthew 6:26-30, KJV
    Nice. In the Vedas (Rig Veda samhita) we have:

    "Two birds associated together, and mutual friends, take refuge in the same tree; one of them eats the sweet fig; the other abstaining from food, merely looks on."

    (The second bird represents an aspect of God).
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91634
    13 Jun '17 21:371 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Ephesians 2:8
    For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

    Mark 9:24
    And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

    God gives us what we require, then we walk out our faith, doing that which we know to do.
    All of the actions of those in ...[text shortened]... if
    they didn't, they would not have taken the stands they did, and done those things they did.
    You seem so sure. When you are that sure then faith is not needed.
    if you know what I mean
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    13 Jun '17 21:55
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Why do you need faith?
    I mean you in particular. You seem pretty convinced of the existence of 'God'
    Adam and Eve knew with certainty that God existed, yet lost faith and ate the apple.

    The Hebrew nation that saw the Red Sea part before them and saw manna come from heaven knew without a doubt that God existed yet lost faith and built an idol to worship in his stead.

    So as you can see, God is ONLY interested in faith.
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91634
    13 Jun '17 22:01
    Originally posted by whodey
    Adam and Eve knew with certainty that God existed, yet lost faith and ate the apple.

    The Hebrew nation that saw the Red Sea part before them and saw manna come from heaven knew without a doubt that God existed yet lost faith and built an idol to worship in his stead.

    So as you can see, God is ONLY interested in faith.
    I don't get it.
    Isn't faith for those aren't 100% sure?
    If they were sure then they wouldn't need faith (?)
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Joined
    24 May '04
    Moves
    148450
    13 Jun '17 23:20
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I don't get it.
    Isn't faith for those aren't 100% sure?
    If they were sure then they wouldn't need faith (?)
    If you were a 100% sure, is that faith?
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Joined
    14 Mar '15
    Moves
    8549
    14 Jun '17 07:15
    I remember a quote from a Zen Master (please don't ask me his name) which went, “I do not know anything about consciousness, I just try to teach my students how to hear the birds sing.”

    Did a bit of poking around and found this nice Buddhist poem from Zen master Eihei Dogen:

    'Water birds
    going and coming
    their traces disappear
    but they never
    forget their path.'
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    14 Jun '17 08:47
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    ... their traces disappear ...
    You should see my car! 😠
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Joined
    14 Mar '15
    Moves
    8549
    14 Jun '17 10:05
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    You should see my car! 😠
    Ah, but when your car moves, their traces disappear.

    (Your car moves right?)
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    14 Jun '17 10:56
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Ah, but when your car moves, their traces disappear.

    (Your car moves right?)
    "(Your car moves right?)"

    Not when it is parked under the birds tree? I very much hope not!

    Birds droppings don't disappear only because the car is moving.

    As this is the Spiritual Forum I have to add that the droppings comes from Above.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35529
    14 Jun '17 11:07
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    If you were a 100% sure, is that faith?
    I would say yes. But the order is wrong. One is 100% sure because of their faith.

    As the man said, all you need is the faith of the mustard seed.
Back to Top