1. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 06:06
    The more you think about it , the more you realize it is a victimless crime .
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 06:14
    Thoughtcrimes are victimless "crimes", too.
  3. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 06:32
    @caissad4 said
    As far as you see the potntial God as victim you are probably right, but there are of course the believers who suffer by it. So even if we only look at the people we do have victims.
  4. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 10:34
    @caissad4 said
    The more you think about it, the more you realize that the one who blasphemes victimizes their self.
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 10:51
    @secondson said
    The more you think about it, the more you realize that the one who blasphemes victimizes their self.
    But what if no God exists? Can one blaspheme a non-existed deity, and if not, who is the victim?

(Disclaimer. I am not proffering the delights of blasphemy, and do of course recognise that blasphemy is offensive to those who do believe).
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 10:57
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    But what if no God exists? Can one blaspheme a non-existed deity, and if not, who is the victim?

(Disclaimer. I am not proffering the delights of blasphemy, and do of course recognise that blasphemy is offensive to those who do believe).
    Can it get darker in a room if those sitting in it are blind?
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 11:00
    @kellyjay said
    Sorry, need another morning coffee to get my head around that one.

🙂
  8. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 11:471 edit
    @ghost-of-a-duke said

If God doesn't exist, then neither does blasphemy.

(Don't worry, I'm not offended when I hear blasphemies against God, and I don't hear you ever actually doing that in a direct sense. When Jesus was being nailed to the cross He said, "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do." )
  9. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 11:51
    @kellyjay said
    The blind wouldn't know it if it did.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 12:351 edit
    @caissad4 said
    It's only a "crime" in certain countries where blasphemy will have you arrested, locked up or even beheaded.

The causality related to criminalising of the taking of a god's name in vain is less to do with religion and more to do with culture.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 12:40
    @kellyjay said
    When one considers that objective darkness is independent of subjective blindness, one then realises that you just pulled that idiom out of your underpants without giving it any real thought.
  12. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 13:00
    @divegeester said
    When one considers that objective darkness is independent of subjective blindness, one then realises that you just pulled that idiom out of your underpants without giving it any real thought.
    Seems you haven't given "any real thought" to the fact that the idiom was metaphorical.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 13:06
    @secondson said
    Seems you haven't given "any real thought" to the fact that the idiom was metaphorical.
    The relationship between objective darkness and subjective blindness is not metaphorical.

You should look "metaphorical" up in a dictionary before we discuss this further.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 13:08
    @divegeester said
    you just pulled that idiom out of your underpants without giving it any real thought.
    If only he hadn't typed it and posted it, it would have remained a mere thoughtcrime.
  15. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 15:41
    @divegeester said
    The relationship between objective darkness and subjective blindness is not metaphorical.

You should look "metaphorical" up in a dictionary before we discuss this further.
    You should read Kelly's post more carefully because he was speaking metaphorically and it went over your head.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree