1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    14 Jan '20 23:25
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Universalists believe it impossible that a loving God would elect only a portion of mankind to salvation and doom the rest to eternal punishment. They insisted that punishment in the afterlife was for a limited period during which the soul was purified and prepared for eternity in the presence of God.

(Wiki)
    And?
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    15 Jan '20 01:47
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Universalists believe it impossible that a loving God would elect only a portion of mankind to salvation and doom the rest to eternal punishment. They insisted that punishment in the afterlife was for a limited period during which the soul was purified and prepared for eternity in the presence of God.

(Wiki)
    The old Catholic notion of purgatory.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Jan '20 06:39
    @deepthought said
    The old Catholic notion of purgatory.
    I think it’s still a current notion.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jan '20 06:53
    @divegeester said
    I am a sociological Catholic so my purgatory is purely sociological.
  5. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    15 Jan '20 08:13
    @kellyjay said
    And?
    Sharing a different perspective kelly. Is that permissible?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jan '20 08:483 edits
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Sharing a different perspective, apparently, is...

[1] evidence of "the devil's hands hard at work making a lie of the truth"

[2] NOT "founded solidly in the truth" (if the perspective is different from KellyJay's

[3] sowing confusion and division

[4] probably blasphemous

[5] simply re-juxtapositioning words, their meanings and intent to arrive at a convoluted meaning not consistent with the truth or context in which they're found for the apparent purpose of furthering your agenda which is to derail coherent, meaningful and purposeful discourse, as well as stroking your sense of intellectual superiority

[6] to go overboard by introducing into the narrative of any given discussion your psycho-babbling and hyperbolical insertions of language not inclusive with a coherent train of thought consistent with the content and context of the topic of discussion

[7] kind of like seeing oneself as a god or like a person that struts in, but first pauses to look at their self in a mirror vainly seeing their self as what they wish they were but knowing they're not

[8] an indication that you are a man delirious with himself because he has a disproportionate sense of the importance of his own thoughts, ideas and the noise he makes

[9] almost certainly mistaken
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Jan '20 10:54
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Why sure
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Jan '20 14:48
    @fmf said
    I am a sociological Catholic so my purgatory is purely sociological.
    If one combines the words sociological and catholic and leaves out a few letters one can pretty much come up with "sociopathic".

Just musing.
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Jan '20 10:22
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Just one thing, as you look at when we sin, you believe only those that are against one another matter? Those sins against God are meaningless? Your perspective is that God isn't alive and real, so all such sins are, in your opinion, permissible only because without God, they are meaningless? Your perspective, you seem to be rendering, is solely based on your belief that God isn’t real.

Would this change if God is real, holy, just, and sovereign over all of creation? Would it then matter how we treat God in word and deed, since then the offended party is God, making this not victimless.
  10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    16 Jan '20 10:24
    @divegeester said
    I was under the impression they'd abolished it.
  11. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Jan '20 13:08
    @kellyjay said
    Just one thing, as you look at when we sin, you believe only those that are against one another matter? Those sins against God are meaningless? Your perspective is that God isn't alive and real, so all such sins are, in your opinion, permissible only because without God, they are meaningless? Your perspective, you seem to be rendering, is solely based on your belief that God ...[text shortened]... how we treat God in word and deed, since then the offended party is God, making this not victimless.
    There is no God, ergo, there is no such thing as 'sin' as understood in a religious context. There are only actions that have been deemed by man as immoral.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Jan '20 13:20
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    There is no God, ergo, there is no such thing as 'sin' as understood in a religious context. There are only actions that have been deemed by man as immoral.
    So you say, and if you turn out to be fallible, and you are in error?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jan '20 13:33
    @kellyjay said
    Aren't you fallible too?
  14. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Jan '20 16:00
    @kellyjay said
    Right back at you dude.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Jan '20 18:04
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Right back at you dude.
    I agree, and when I inquired about if you are wrong, you didn't respond with what that would mean concerning your answer.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree