1. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Apr '12 13:41
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    actually its for children under six, who have no concept of Prozac smiles or 70's
    haircuts. I used to take magazines to a family whose mum was not interested but she
    said that her daughter loved to read them so she requested that i bring them which i
    was happy to do. The illustrations are fine for children.
    nah, there not fine. they are rubbish. you need to have a word with the top brass. if you are going to pray on kids then at least give the door to door foot soldiers the tools to do the job. maybe if you had jw action figures to go with the book that would work.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Apr '12 15:12
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    nah, there not fine. they are rubbish. you need to have a word with the top brass. if you are going to pray on kids then at least give the door to door foot soldiers the tools to do the job. maybe if you had jw action figures to go with the book that would work.
    prey on kids??, ok, you have lost the last vestiges of respect that i had for you, rather
    interestingly it was exactly the same accusation that the Romans made against the
    early Christians as well. I dont think we shall be taking lessons from you on how to
    conduct a public ministry.
  3. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Apr '12 15:39
    prey on kids??, ok, you have lost the last vestiges of respect that i had for you, rather
    interestingly it was exactly the same accusation that the Romans made against the
    early Christians as well. I dont think we shall be taking lessons from you on how to
    conduct a public ministry.
    apologies mr carrobie. it was meant in jest, kind of, ive had a few run'ins with not so nice jw's over the years but the two that used to come to the door with stuff for my daughter were very nice ladies and were in no way 'praying' on my kids. i used to work with a very nice jw lady who i would have been more than happy to have been prayed open by.........if i was single....(you never know who's reading).
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    24 Apr '12 15:39
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    What books would the theists on this forum recommend to Googlefudge ?
    The OP is because G has recommended several books to Dasa with a view to make him over as "" a human " !
    I will certainly recommend the following :-
    1) The Bhagavat Geeta-- any English translation ( accompanied by an explanatory
    commentary ). There must be several ones a ...[text shortened]... ".
    3) Any translation of " Uddhavgeeta ". Many English translations are available.
    I think the Bhagavad Geeta is overrated -as is the christian bible. my 2 cents.
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    24 Apr '12 15:42
    Has Googlefudge read any Allan Watts. Taoman has recently turned me on to this prolific and most venerable of authors of some 20 books.
    He is an Englishman who has singlehandedly brought eastern thought to the west.
    A true boddisatva if there ever was one
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Apr '12 15:42
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    apologies mr carrobie. it was meant in jest, kind of, ive had a few run'ins with not so nice jw's over the years but the two that used to come to the door with stuff for my daughter were very nice ladies and were in no way 'praying' on my kids. i used to work with a very nice jw lady who i would have been more than happy to have been prayed open by.........if i was single....(you never know who's reading).
    ok, consider yourself duly respected once again for this magnanimous reply ๐Ÿ™‚
  7. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Apr '12 16:27
    yes!! double fist pump!! got me some respect from rc, in your face forum users!!!!

i forgot about the big whohaa a few years back in new york and scotland, makes my choice of words seem even more insensitive. hanging my head in shame.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Apr '12 16:33
    BTW, before you ran off at the mouth๐Ÿ™‚, he said "Pray", and you said 'Prey'. You do realize he was making a play on words, right? Preying on kids brings up the notion of child molesters and such, Praying on kids is a slightly more benign if maybe not effective in the way they hoped but means a whole other thing than the idea of predation. Just thought I would throw that one in.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    24 Apr '12 16:43
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    BTW, before you ran off at the mouth๐Ÿ™‚, he said "Pray", and you said 'Prey'. You do realize he was making a play on words, right? Preying on kids brings up the notion of child molesters and such, Praying on kids is a slightly more benign if maybe not effective in the way they hoped but means a whole other thing than the idea of predation. Just thought I would throw that one in.
    Sounds like a real pedifile. Ha ha. ๐Ÿ˜
  10. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Apr '12 16:48
    damn!!! good comeback, i could have covered my arse. but ill hold my hands up, it was intended as 'prey' either i cant spell or subconsciously i was being very witty.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Apr '12 17:021 edit
    yes I saw that but like the gentlemen that I am, I knew what he meant and rather than
    pedantically pointing it out, i merely introduced it correctly for him, he has Scottish
    blood in him but fly's the flag of St George, enough shame for any man.
  12. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    24 Apr '12 17:26
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I think the Bhagavad Geeta is overrated -as is the christian bible. my 2 cents.
    Really ? Why do you say so ? Do not go through the Bhagavat Geeta in a casual fashion or at a fast clip. One chapter ( of the central main chapters anyway) per week is what I would recommend, then ruminate about what you have read and then come back here.
    Start with the 2nd Chapter.
  13. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Apr '12 17:33
    yes I saw that but like the gentlemen that I am, I knew what he meant and rather than
    pedantically pointing it out, i merely introduced it correctly for him, he has Scottish
    blood in him but fly's the flag of St George, enough shame for any man.
    its the red flag i fly brothers and my shame is that of a northern man lost in the sea of the home counties. one red flag in an ocean of blue. waiting for the 'diggers' to return so i can pick up my shovel and take to the fields.
  14. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    25 Apr '12 17:09
    Originally posted by JS357
    OK then I will recommend Alan Watts' The Book on the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are (1966) Fewer than 150 pages.

This should have some appeal to the organized mind.

Here are some quotes:

The prevalent sensation of oneself as a separate ego enclosed in a bag of skin is a hallucination which accords neither with Western science nor with the experimen ...[text shortened]... orever.

Nothing fails like success.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Alan_Watts
    An excellent Quote ! Many thanks for taking pains to display it on this thread.
    I also want to recommend one more book for googlefudge.
    " The Tao of Physics " by Fritjof Capra, ISBN 978-0-00-727292-1.
    Especially recommended is the Chapter 6 on Buddhism.
    An excellent summary in an eminently readable prose.
    blackbeetle, Taoman are you reading this post ? Have you read this book ?
  15. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    25 Apr '12 17:30
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Has Googlefudge read any Allan Watts. Taoman has recently turned me on to this prolific and most venerable of authors of some 20 books.
    He is an Englishman who has singlehandedly brought eastern thought to the west.
    A true boddisatva if there ever was one
    I recommended Watts' The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are.

It is instantly available at:

http://www.leary.ru/download/watts/Book%20On%20The%20Taboo%20Against%20Knowing%20Who%20You%20Are.pdf

There are many videos available on line.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree