1. London
    Moves
    09 Aug '06 16:04
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    I'm going to pull together points from your previous two posts.

v: it seems to me you are making a variation of the cosmological argument.

I am using part of a cosmological argument. I'm not sure which, but I think it is a variation of the Kalam Cosmological Argument.
    Apologies - it wasn't kalam. It uses (I think) a variation of the Principle of Sufficient Reason (PSR):

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/cosmological-argument/
  2. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    09 Aug '06 16:398 edits
    I'm going to pull together points from your previous two posts.

v: it seems to me you are making a variation of the cosmological argument.

I am using part of a cosmological argument. I'm not sure which, but I think it is a variation of the Kalam Cosmological Argument.

v: [i]Causality applies within the universe—an aspect of its supernatural - even if he gives it another name) but refuses to admit it.
    [/i]I have several arguments, presented here in descending order, roughly according to how I would weight them—or, think of them as “gates”: if you can’t get through the first one, the others don’t matter (except from the point of view of intellectual exercise).

In the following, I am using the universe in it’s ordinary the “all of all of all of it,” without regard to “multiverses,” etc.

I. Eskimo Argument *

Simply—there is not “everything that makes up the universe”** plus “the universe-itself.” (This may be akin to Wittgenstein’s point about always seeking a substance for every substantive we use, and thus becoming bewitched by our language.)

It is an error to speak in such a way of the “U-itself” as an entity: necessary or contingent.

Edwards’ Eskimos (adapted):

Suppose I see a group of 5 Eskimos sitting in the park in Nashville, Tennessee. I want to have an explanation for how they came to be here. Investigation yields the following:

E1: Moved south to escape the extreme cold of the polar climate, which she no longer enjoyed.

E2: Is E1’s husband, loves her, and didn’t want to stay behind without her.

E3: Is the infant child of E1 and E2; had no choice.

E4: Saw an advertisement on satellite TV for a job as a computer programmer in Nashville, was unemployed, and decided to take the chance.

E5: Is a private detective hired by E4’s former spouse to follow E4.

Let’s assume that the following explanations are sufficient to explain the behavior of each of the Eskimos (or, that if they are not sufficient, there is no logical bar on getting enough further information to meet the test of a sufficient explanation). Now you ask: “Yes, but what explains why the group of Eskimos came to Nashville?”

But—once we have explained the behavior of all the individuals (and their relationships with each other within U), there is nothing left to explain.

This argument, I think, refutes your "despite the fact that it is identifiable as an effect (because of its contingency)." Your position rests on the mistake of assuming a "thing" that you can sensibly talk about, simply because you have a noun. If there are universal properties within U, that does not mean there is a "U-itself" which somehow bestows those properties.

* Named here for the version presented by Paul Edwards in Critiques of God.

** Objects, concepts, forces, fields, causal-complexes...etc., etc., etc.

II. No View from Elsewhere

Even if it did make sense for us to speak of U as an entity itself (in need of some explanation itself), how is it possible for us to view/analyze/consider U-as-whole, when we are in U and part of it? Our view and our thinking, our ability to experience and reason, how we experience and reason, are conditioned by our being not only in, but of U. We have no access to a view from elsewhere—whether we call that elsewhere transcendent, or supernatural, or the “view from nowhere.”

We are in fact barred from examining the U-as-a-whole (or as an “itself” ). We are barred from examining U-as-a-whole (or as an “itself” ) in any way that is unconditioned by our place in U. We cannot even reasonably ask the questions, except as the course of our very inquiring is so conditioned.

That is why I suggested that, by creating a supernatural—or extra-U—category, you are creating a pretense: that you can now view U-as-a-whole from some outside “position.” That you can, at least in your imagination, step outside in order to see whether, for example, U is contingent. I am arguing that the possibility of such a stance is a mirage.

Note: I do not take “possible worlds” as anything more than a tool for analysis, analogous to a thought experiment. That is, I do not take the view that other possible worlds are in any way actual worlds (e.g., even as thoughts in God’s mind). They are simply other ways it might be, but isn’t.

[ASIDE: I would suggest that even our ability to imagine some “unconditioned being” is always bound by our own conditionality—if we could truly imagine such a being, we ourselves would be unconditioned. Note, I am not saying imagining some other type of conditions in some other “possible world,” nor some U-conditions that are more complex than any we know—I am speaking of the notion of an unconditioned being. I think, again, we bewitch ourselves with language...]

III. Possibility that “U-itself” is Necessary

Arguing from Hume (and Simon Blackburn in Think): If there is no bar on proposing an extra-U necessary being, there is no bar on proposing that U has the properties, that are outside (transcendental to) our intellectual access, that make up such a “necessary being”—U itself.

This is generally, I think, used against the causal version of the cosmological argument, but I present it here anyway. To quote from Blackburn:

“For it must be ‘unknown, inconceivable qualities’ that make anything a ‘necessary existent.’ And for all we know, such unknown inconceivable qualities may attach to the ordinary physical universe, rather than to any immaterial thing or person or deity lying behind it.” [This portion is aimed at the causal variant; the following, from the same section in Blackburn, is aimed more toward your variant.]

“There are versions of the cosmological argument that are not concerned with the first cause, in time. Rather, they consider the ongoing order of the universe: the uniformity of nature. It can seem an amazing fact that laws of nature keep on holding, that the frame of nature does not fall apart. One can think that these facts must be ‘dependent’ and require a necessary sustaining cause (like Atlas propping up the world). But once more, there is either a regress, or a simple fiat that something has ‘unknown inconceivable properties’ that make it self-sufficient. This would be something whose ongoing uniformity requires no explanation outside itself. And that might as well be the world as a whole as anything else.”

Note: I do not think this argument necessarily, as you state it, puts the non-supernaturalist on a par with the supernaturalist—but close enough that it is not my favorite. It really, to my mind, simply says that if there are things we cannot know, we can speculate about them in different ways—and that it is not irrational to place our fiat at U, rather than some extra-U being.

IV. The Cosmo Argument Rests on the Onto Argument

Simply, the cosmological argument implicitly assumes aspects of the ontological argument that are themselves refutable. The following site presents an outline of Kant’s argument—

http://www.bu.edu/wcp/Papers/Mode/ModeDeLo.htm

EDIT: I have made several corrections to this, so if you're reading it before seeing this, please reread--sorry!
  3. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    09 Aug '06 17:06
    Other responsa:

First of all, I must stress that nothing I've written so far necessitates that the proximate supernatural cause to the universe must be God.

Understood.

A detour into mathematics might clear things a bit.

Unfortunately, not for me. Consider me to be mathematically delinquent. (I did get up to differential calculus, but I have forgotten all of my math, except for very, very simple algebra—yep, even simpler than that. πŸ™‚ )

A necessary being, on the other hand, could not possibly be any other way. That it is a sufficient explanation of what it is. A necessary being, and only a necessary being, can be causa sui.

I understand all this. Question (and I’m having difficulty wording this): Can you give any descriptive account of a necessary being? Can you specify its properties? Or do they end up, as Hume suggested, “unknown and inconceivable?”

It does matter because, if the coherence is entirely in the architecture of our consciousness (Kant?), then objective knowledge is impossible.

I have to let others speak for Kant. I do not think it matters for this discussion, since neither one of us is taking that position. (I do not reject it; I simply do not take it, partly because I don’t understand it well enough.)
  4. London
    Moves
    09 Aug '06 17:52
    Originally posted by vistesd
    [/i]I have several arguments, presented here in descending order, roughly according to how I would weight them—or, think of them as “gates”: if you can’t get through the first one, the others don’t matter (except from the point of view of intellectual exercise).

In the following, I am using the universe in it’s ordinary the “all of all of all of it,” wit ...[text shortened]... orrections to this, so if you're reading it before seeing this, please reread--sorry!
    [/b]
    I'll get back to the others presently, but IV (Kant's Objection) is based on a confusion of the notions of necessary being as used in the ontological and cosmological arguments:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/cosmological-argument/#3.5
  5. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    09 Aug '06 18:115 edits
    I'll get back to the others presently, but IV (Kant's Objection) is based on a confusion of the notions of necessary being as used in the ontological and cosmological arguments:

(1) Well, it’s at the bottom of my list. πŸ™‚

(2) You spoke of logical—which appears to be exactly what Kant was arguing against—not metaphysical necessity. Below is the section you cite (my bold)—note also Mackie’s reply (my bold): the issue does not appear to be settled...

"Immanuel Kant objected to the conclusion of the cosmological argument that a necessary being exists. Kant held that the cosmological argument, in concluding to the existence of a necessary being, argues for the existence of a being whose nonexistence is absolutely inconceivable. But the only being that meets this condition is the most real or maximally excellent being, the very concept of which lies at the heart of the ontological argument. Accordingly, the cosmological argument presupposes the cogency of the ontological argument. But since the ontological argument is defective, the cosmological argument that depends on it likewise must be defective (Kant, A606; Smart, in Haldane and Smart, 36-8).

"However, the contention that the cosmological argument depends on the ontological argument is based on a confusion. The term necessary being can be understood in different ways. Kant, like some modern defenders of the ontological argument, understands "necessary being" as having to do with logically necessary existence, that is, with existence that is logically undeniable. But this is not the sense in which "necessary being" is understood in the cosmological argument. Necessity is understood in the sense of ontological or metaphysical necessity. A necessary being is one that if it exists, it cannot cease to exist, and correspondingly, if it does not exist, it cannot come into existence. Since such a concept is not self-contradictory, the existence of a necessary being is not intrinsically impossible (Reichenbach, chap. 6).

"Mackie replies that if God has metaphysical necessity, God's existence is contingent, such that some reason is required for God's own existence (Mackie, 84). That is, if God necessarily exists in the sense that if he exists, he exists in all possible worlds, it remains logically possible that God does not exist in any (and all) possible world. Hence, God is a logically contingent being and so could have not-existed. Why, then, does God exist? The principles of Causation or Sufficient Reason can be applied to the necessary being.

"The theist responds that the Principle of Sufficient Reason does not address logical contingency, but metaphysical contingency. For what is not metaphysically contingent one is not required to find a reason. It is not that the necessary being is self-explanatory; rather, a demand for explaining its existence is inappropriate. Hence, the theist concludes, Hawking's question, "Who created God?" (Hawking, 174), is out of place.

In short, defenders of the cosmological argument defend the Causal Principle (or alternatively Principle of Sufficient Reason), but limit its application to contingent beings, whereas critics of the argument either question these principles or want to apply them to the necessary being."

So, are you asserting logical or metaphysical necessity?
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    ZellulΓ€rer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    14 Aug '06 08:31
    Bump for LH πŸ˜›
  7. London
    Moves
    14 Aug '06 08:57
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Bump for LH πŸ˜›
    Work is killing me! :'(
  8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    ZellulΓ€rer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    14 Aug '06 09:04
    Work is killing me! :'(
    You too? Let us sit on the carpet and tell sad stories together. I'll go first:

Work is killing me...
  9. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    18 Aug '06 03:04
    Originally posted by rwingett
    There's a difference between surrendering totally and meeting someone halfway. I am not a worthless sinner to my wife, but an equal partner. Neither of our authority exceeds the other's. The same cannot be said for you and your hypothetical big pal in the sky.

For the record, you are not a 'worthless' sinner according to the Bible, either. You are still made in the image of the Most High.

Am I right in reading this as you railing against God being in control in a relationship with us??? If you are that arrogant, it is no wonder that espouse atheism.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Aug '06 14:20
    Originally posted by Mixo
    Homer said, "But Marge, what if we've chosen the wrong religion? Every time we go to church we're just making God madder!"

If a person listens to what the Catholic, Mormon, Jew, Muslim, Hindu and Sikh have to say and then signs up for the religion which sounded the best and it turns out to be NOT the religion that YOU subscribe to, do you think God will puni ...[text shortened]... Is God really making us play Russian roulette with only one empty barrel?
    πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ˜€πŸ™
    That sums up the gist of my argument: All these religions with opposing viewpoints and moralities (its ok to kill someone who is not of your religionm, its ok to kill someone who LEAVES my religion, etc.) proves to me at least, since they can't all represent the POV of the same god unless that god is insane, they can't all be right at the same time, therefore they are all wrong. Therefore the underlying philosophy behind these religions did not come from a god but from the minds and only the minds of the people who started these religions. Occams razor says take the simplest explanation. You don't have to drag up complicated philosophical arguments to explain it or deny it. Regardless of whether there is a god or not, no god made these religions, mankind made these religions and that makes them simply an excuse to kill. Of course if they did not have that excuse they would have to invent another but if there were a hell I would not hesitate to put the leaders of these horrible religions in hell in a heartbeat.
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 Aug '06 16:37
    Originally posted by Mixo
    Homer said, "But Marge, what if we've chosen the wrong religion? Every time we go to church we're just making God madder!"

If a person listens to what the Catholic, Mormon, Jew, Muslim, Hindu and Sikh have to say and then signs up for the religion which sounded the best and it turns out to be NOT the religion that YOU subscribe to, do you think God will puni ...[text shortened]... Is God really making us play Russian roulette with only one empty barrel?
    πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ˜€πŸ™
    If there is a "right choice" doesn't that mean there are wrong ones
    too?
    Kelly
  12. Playing with matches
    Moves
    19 Aug '06 17:30
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Is that supposed to be " People make the choice of going to heaven or hell, god doesn't make that choice for you."?
    I apologise if English is not your first language or something, but there is a difference between merely being badly spelled, and being unintelligible or having a completely different from intended meaning.
    You shouldn't be so hard on RBHILL, he suffered serious brain damage during a baptismal some years ago... apparently he was held under water for somewhat longer than is normally recommended... still, he's much better now.
  13. London
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 17:01

In the following, I am using the universe in it’s ordinary the “all of all of all of it,” wit ...[text shortened]... orrections to this, so if you're reading it before seeing this, please reread--sorry!
    [/b]
    Apologies for the delay in responding. It seems I might have to wait forever if I waited until I had as much time as I liked for an adequate response; so you'll have to forgive me if I end up picking up your arguments one at a time in a piece-meal approach.

The first thing to note about Edwards's argument is that it deals with aggregations of all types (and not just objects/persons as we would normally recognise them). So, if you had any aggregation X of objects {X1, X2, ...}, Edwards's argument is that it is meaningless to speak of a "cause" for X apart from the individual causes of {X1, X2, ....}.

So, what happens when we apply his conclusion to his own argument? What follows is not a strict self-refutation, but it does give us an intuition of what's wrong with his argument. I'll give three examples.

First, we see that Edwards violates his own principle in providing explanations for each of the Eskimos. An Eskimo is made up billions of cells, which in turn is made of thousands of molecules, atoms etc. etc. So, really, the argument fails to get off the ground from the word "go".

Another example of this would be Paul Edwards himself. It would be incoherent to ask "Why did Paul Edwards write this piece?" because Paul Edwards himself is an aggregation as his Eskimos are.

The third example is what I find most interesting. Consider Edwards's use of the word "Eskimo". According to his conclusion, it is meaningless to ask why he chose the word "Eskimo" -- one must ask why he chose the letters E, s, k, i, m and o. But here we run into a problem -- we know he chose those letters precisely because he wanted to express the word "Eskimo", not the other way around.

There are other problems with his argument as well. For instance, the question "Yes, but what explains why the group of Eskimos came to Nashville?" is meaningless because the group did not, in fact, come to Nashville. Indeed, prior to Nashville, the group didn't exist as a group at all!

From a metaphysical perspective, the question is not "Why did the group of Eskimos come to Nashville", but "Why is there a group at all?" or, in other words, "What makes this group what it is?" And the answer to this question cannot be found merely in the individual stories of the Eskimos.

One interesting thing about the Eskimo argument is that it partly demonstrates the point about the supernatural (just to remind you - I am not trying to prove the existence of a necessary being that may be called God). If you follow the chain of causality in the five Eskimos, you see that the causes for E1 and E4 actually lie outside the group.

If Edwards was trying to argue for a self-sufficient Universe, his analogy should've been (I've simplified):

E1: Is E2's wife; sitting on the bench because E2 is sitting there.
    E2: Is E1's husband; sitting on the bench because E1 is sitting there.

Do you see a problem here?
  14. London
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 17:05
    When I use the terms "necessary" or "contingent" in referring to the Universe, I suppose I'm referring to metaphysical necessity. However, when I speak of "logically necessary", I'm using it in the standard logical sense (e.g. it is logically necessary that 2+2 is 4; i.e. it follows from the definitions of the terms involved); not in the sense used in the passage you cite (which I consider to be more like 'ontological' or existential necessity).
  15. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 01:534 edits
    Apologies for the delay in responding. It seems I might have to wait forever if I waited until I had as much time as I liked for an adequate response; so you'll have to forgive me if I end up picking up your arguments one at a time in a piece-meal approach.

The first thing to note about Edwards's argument is that it deals with aggregations [i]of al bench because E1 is sitting there.

[/i]Take your time. I would really rather do these things these days in a leisurely fashion, and not lose sleep over it the way I have with some of our debates... πŸ™‚

From a metaphysical perspective, the question is not "Why did the group of Eskimos come to Nashville", but "Why is there a group at all?" or, in other words, "What makes this group what it is?" And the answer to this question cannot be found merely in the individual stories of the Eskimos.

I think a more basic question is: “What is a group?” I’ll rephrase my first statement in the “Eskimo Argument”: There is not “everything that makes up the group” plus “the group-in(of)-itself,” that is somehow a logically separable entity. The group consists of the entities and their relations. Grouping is a conceptual activity in which we aggregate entities according to perceived common elements and relationships. It is those “intra-group” elements and relationships that explain why we grouped them such-and-such. (Now, of course, I said we group them—which goes to the analogy-problem, which I address below.)

[Note: I would say the same for the other aggregations you mention. Physically, one might say that I am an aggregation of subatomic particles (or energy strings, or whatever) into atoms into molecules into cells—each aggregate complex being defined by its elements and relations—into a larger physical, neural, bio-chemical aggregate I might call my physical “self,” which, because of the nature of the whole complex is mobile and sentient and conscious...and on and on and on. “Vistesd” is not an entity-in-itself beyond that aggregate complex—unless you assume body-mind/spirit dualism, and that my “real self” is somehow separable from that aggregate complex. And, prior to that aggregating process, “I” did not exist at all (just as did not the group of Eskimos, as you point out).]

Although my arguments are presented in descending order as “gates” so to speak, I think you have to first justify treating the Universe as an entity itself before you can even begin to talk about “it” being an effect. And my second argument is that we have no extra-U “view from elsewhere,” from which we can view the U in such a fashion. So there is some linking.

If you follow the chain of causality in the five Eskimos, you see that the causes for E1 and E4 actually lie outside the group.

Granted. But the main problem here is that the Universe as a whole has no proper analogy—unless you assume some such extra-U analogous entity (or complex of entities) at the get-go. Any analogy (including Edwards&rsquoπŸ˜‰ is limited; the point is that you have to realize that any such analogy is so limited in order to see the illustrative point behind it. Since I do think it is an error to posit an accurate analogy for U-as-a-whole from sets of elements within U, I am willing to dispense with such analogies. (Unless, of course, you can construct one that does not suffer from such limitation.)

If Edwards was trying to argue for a self-sufficient Universe, his analogy should've been (I've simplified):

E1: Is E2's wife; sitting on the bench because E2 is sitting there.
    E2: Is E1's husband; sitting on the bench because E1 is sitting there.

Well, part of my response is the same as the preceding: the problem is with any analogy for U which is not U itself.* In terms of U, it may well be that that is exactly as far as we can get, whether we think that is satisfactory or not. We can posit an extra-U necessary being in order to try to get beyond that point, but then we cannot infer what we posit without begging the question.

Basically, I think you are saying (correct me if I’m wrong) that in order to have a complete explanation for all the causal complexes in/of U, we need some extra-U causal agent—i.e., a necessary being.**

Edwards again: “Even if it were granted, both that the phrase ‘necessary being’ is meaningful and that all explanations are defective unless the phenomena to be explained are traced back to a necessary being, the conclusion still would not have been established. The conclusion follows from this premise together with the additional premise that there are explanations of phenomena in the special case just mentioned... To assume without further ado that phenomena have explanations, or an explanation in this sense, is to beg the very point at issue.”

I have attempted to put this in inferential form, first in a rather roundabout way, then followed by what seem to me to be logical reductions:

(1) A complete (non-defective) explanation requires that the causal complex be completely specified.

(2) If the causal complex is infinite no such complete explanation is possible.

(3) One cannot remove the infinite regression without a necessary being.

(4) A complete explanation includes a necessary being.

—Note that “complete explanation” now becomes implicitly defined such that it includes a necessary being: by definition—

(5) There exists such a complete explanation.

(6) Therefore, there exists a necessary being.

Again, this all seems roundabout (possibly because of my low skill-level in laying out inferences), but basically what seems to happen here is that a necessary being is implicitly defined into the very notion of complete causal sufficiency. To assert that a sufficient explanation is possible [premise (5)] is to assert the necessary being in the premise, not to infer it from the definitions and premises.

The inference really seems to reduce to:

(1) A complete explanation is one which includes a necessary being.

(2) A complete explanation exists.

(3) Therefore, a necessary being exists.

Can you see how this reduces essentially to: “A necessary being exists, therefore a necessary being exists”?

* Thus also my second argument—that we have no extra-U viewpoint (no view from elsewhere) from which to even begin to construct such an analogy. And also the Hume-Blackburn point that an extra-U causal agent would have what to us are “unknown and inconceivable” properties that would prevent us constructing a proper analogy.

** Yes, I realize that we are not positing a theos, simply a necessary extra-U cause.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree