1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 May '16 13:34
    The Apostle Paul encouraged Timothy to be with those who call upon the name of the Lord Jesus. He did not warn him to stay clear of them. Rather he said to be with them.

He spoke of cleansing oneself and being with those who call upon the name of the Lord.

" But flee youthful lust and pursue righteousness, faith, love, peace with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart." (2 Tim. 2:22)

Actually, these two matter work mutually together. The very WAY to flee lust is to contact the Lord. And calling will bring you into contact with the Lord Jesus.

The WAY to pursue righteousness is to call on the name of the Lord.
    The WAY to obtain more purity of heart is by sincerely calling out to the Lord Jesus.

This passage does not say WAIT to be perfect before you call.
    This passage does no take Rajk999's attitude to NOT call because it may be superfiscial.

This passage encourages calling and being with those who call on the Lord.

It does not say WAIT until you have a pure heart.
    It does say pursue a pure heart and CALL with others also pursuing such.
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    30 May '16 13:48
    Originally posted by sonship
    The Apostle Paul encouraged Timothy to be with those who call upon the name of the Lord Jesus. He did not warn him to stay clear of them. Rather he said to be with them.

He spoke of cleansing oneself and being with those who call upon the name of the Lord.

[quote] [b] " But flee youthful lust and pursue righteousness, faith, love, peace with those who ...[text shortened]... you have a pure heart.
    The passage never says:

The WAY to obtain more purity of heart is by sincerely calling out to the Lord Jesus.

Read it:

.. The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity. But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour. If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work. Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart. (2 Timothy 2:19-22 KJV)

Here are the points:
    - If you claim Christ then depart from iniquity.
    - In the Christian faith [great house], there are all types, good and bad, some to honour and some to dishonour
    - Purge yourself from evil and you will be a vessel of honour
    - some will be vessels of dishonour
    - keep away from sin and follow righteousness and charity.

THEN can you be with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 May '16 14:401 edit

[quote] [b] " But flee youthful lust and pursue righteousness, faith, love, peace with those who ...[text shortened]... you have a pure heart.
    The term is from Joel 2:32 where it reads, all those calling on the name of Jehovah will be saved'. RajK, you or anyone else is free to pray to the father and ask for wisdom.
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    30 May '16 14:48
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    The term is from Joel 2:32 where it reads, all those calling on the name of Jehovah will be saved'. RajK, you or anyone else is free to pray to the father and ask for wisdom.
    'Anyone else' includes you, I hope.. 🙂
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 May '16 15:04
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    'Anyone else' includes you, I hope.. 🙂
    yes it includes me
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 May '16 20:121 edit
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Rajk999, objects (probably on general principle)

Sigh. Let's take a look

The passage never says:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My experience is that in the heat of temptation, DELIVERAND and Grace come by calling on the name of the Lord Jesus. The empowering grace of the Holy Spirit responds to calling on the Lord.

The Psalmist said he would lift up the CUP OF SALVATION and CALL upon the name of the Lord.

" What shall I render to Jehovah for all His benefits toward me? I will take up the cup of salvation and call upon the name of Jehovah." (Psalm 116:13)

"Salvation" is depicted here as a drink in a cup. Calling "O Lord Jesus. O Lord Jesus ! is pictured drinking in salvation. Deliverance and strength, empowering and divine upholding can come from opening the mouth and calling on the name of the Lord Jesus.

Read it:

.. The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Absolutely nothing of what I have written is an encouragement to call on Jesus and cling to one';s iniquities. Rajk999 has a non-argument.

Please, if anyone detects that I am trying to get people to continue sinning while calling on the Lord Jesus, please point out where you find this thought anywhere in this thread.

Thankyou.

But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing here telling Christians not to call on the name of the Lord.

If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work. Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart. (2 Timothy 2:19-22 KJV)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing here telling people NOT ... to call on the name of the Lord Jesus.

Here are the points:

-------------------------------------

As if there is one and only ONE way to appreciate this passage.

- If you claim Christ then depart from iniquity.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing about this discourages believers from calling "O Lord Jesus. Lord Jesus"

In fact the Apostle Paul identified the early Christians because he could HEAR them in the house meetings - calling on the name of the Lord Jesus .

The disciple Ananias reminds Jesus that Saul was persecuting the callers of Jesus.

" And here he has authority from the chief priests to bind all who call upon You name." (Acts 9:14)

Paul heard them calling "Lord JESUS !! O Lord Jesus ! and he went in to BIND the callers. It appears Rajk999 would like to do the same thing.

- In the Christian faith [great house], there are all types, good and bad, some to honour and some to dishonour

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing here saying "Christians, DO NOT CALL on the name of Jesus !"

- Purge yourself from evil and you will be a vessel of honour

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing here saying "Christians, DON"T call on the name of Jesus !"

- some will be vessels of dishonour
    - keep away from sin and follow righteousness and charity.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing here saying "THOU SHALT NOT CALL - LORD JESUS!"

THEN can you be with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please point out the word "THEN".
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 May '16 20:132 edits
    Now lets be realistic Christians. Here are a few passages showing that calling on God is beneficial to all of the exhortations above:

1.) Psalm 119:31

"I cling to Your testimonies; O Jehovah, do not put me to shame."

Calling on the name of God to CLING to God's testimonies. Clinging to His name is clinging to the living God. It makes perfect sense.

2.) verse 41

" May Your loving kindness also come to me, O Jehovah."

Calling out to God seeking the inflow of His loving kindness. Calling O Lord Jesus surely accomplishes this also.

3.) verse 52

"I have remembered Your ordinances from long ago, O Jehovah, and have comforted myself."

We often forget what we should remember. Calling "O Lord Jesus. O Lord Jesus" also stirs up our recollection of God's word to us. And thus we touch the Holy Spirit and comfort ourselves.

4.) verse 64

"Your loving kindness, O Jehovah, fills the earth; Teach me Your statutes."

Calling "O Lord Jesus, O Lord Jesus, Lord JESUS ! fills out hearts with God's presence and seems to fill our whole world with God. Calling reminds us that God fills the universe. Calling inclines our hearts to love God's statues.

5.) verse 75

" I know, O Jehovah, that Your judgments are righteous and that in faithfulness You afflict me."

Even under the discipline of God, we can be saved from murmuring and complaining by calling "O Lord Jesus. O Lord Jesus, You Lord are so faithful to discipline me for my spiritual growth."

Instead of murmuring try calling " O Lord Jesus. O Lord Jesus. Thankyou Lord Jesus."

6.) verse 89

"Forever, O Jehovah, Does Your word stand firm in heaven. Your faithfulness is from generation to generation; You establish the earth, and it abides."

To get in touch with God's sheer stability and everlasting faithfulness we can call "O Lord Jesus. O LORD JESUS ! Lord Jesus." Instantly we touch the everlasting Creator and His faithfulness. We can call while we read the Bible and establish in our hearts the everlasting sureness of His word.

7.) verse 107

" I have been greatly afflicted; O Jehovah, enliven me according to Your word."

We can call O Lord Jesus! ENLIVEN ME Lord Jesus. Oooo Lord Jesus! Give me life Lord. Give Your life to me O Lord JESUS ! [/quote]

There is much more. These examples show the benefit of calling on the name of the Lord Jesus before, during, and after attention to His word.

Now in the next post of Rajk999 to me, he can prove that we should not call until the unwritten "THEN" is qualified in Second Timothy 2:22. I see nothing restricting the caller as Rajk999 assumes.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 May '16 20:432 edits
    Now lets be realistic Christians. Here are a few passages showing that calling on God is beneficial to all of the exhortations above:

1.) [b] Psalm 119:31

"I cling to Your testimonies; O Jehovah, do not put me to shame."

Calling on the name of God to CLING to God's testimonies. Clinging to His name is clingin ...[text shortened]... alified in Second Timothy 2:22. I see nothing restricting the caller as Rajk999 assumes.[/b]
    I am not entirely sure what you beef is jaywill, God is not finished with any of us yet, we are not the finished article, we have potential for change, each and every one of us, we can all call upon the name of Jehovah and ask for wisdom. Jesus states of the father that he will give to those asking. Man he even gives fruitful seasons to unbelievers, making the sun shine on both the righteous and the unrighteous.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 May '16 20:582 edits
    There are hundreds of instances of calling "O Lord" or "O Jehovah" in the Bible.

By way of example I am showing that calling on the Lord Jesus in the New Covenant is the like these.

So when Paul, the former church persecutor was baptized, he was encouraged to CALL upon that very name that he formerly persecuted.

" And all who heard him were amazed and said, Is this not the one who ravaged those who CALL UPON THIS NAME in Jerusalem and came here for this, that he might bring them bound before the chief priests?" (Acts 9:21)

He is instructed to call himself now, on the Lord Jesus.

" And now, why do you delay? Rise up and be baptized and wash away your sins, CALLING ON HIS NAME." (Acts 22:16)
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 May '16 21:481 edit
    There are hundreds of instances of calling "O Lord" or "O Jehovah" in the Bible.

By way of example I am showing that calling on the Lord Jesus in the New Covenant is the like these.

So when Paul, the former church persecutor was baptized, he was encouraged to CALL upon that very name that he formerly persecuted.

[b] " And all who heard [i]h ...[text shortened]... se up and be baptized and wash away your sins, CALLING ON HIS NAME." (Acts 22:16)
    [/b]
    yes but so what? ~

For “everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.” However, how will they call on him in whom they have not put faith? How, in turn, will they put faith in him of whom they have not heard? How, in turn, will they hear without someone to preach?  How, in turn, will they preach unless they have been sent forth? Just as it is written: “How comely are the feet of those who declare good news of good things!”

It is clear that the entire import of this calling upon Gods name is to help others come to know that name, what it represents, the character and personality associated with it. This is why the Christian congregation was formed, this is why Christ sent out the seventy disciples, this is why Christ preached the Kingdom of God, so that others could get to know God, ALL else is subservient to this. A Christian life is a life of self sacrifice for he left us 'a pattern' to follow. We are supposed to be teachers of Gods word.
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    30 May '16 23:47
    yes but so what? ~

For “everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.” However, how will they call on him in whom they have not put faith? How, in turn, will they put faith in him of whom they have not heard? How, in turn, will they hear without someone to preach?  How, in turn, will they preach unless they have been sent forth? Just ...[text shortened]... lf sacrifice for he left us 'a pattern' to follow. We are supposed to be teachers of Gods word.
    I think he was originally a Hare Krishna guy. Vain repetitions, and taking Gods name in vain is not the way of Christ:

But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. (Matthew 6:7 KJV)
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 May '16 23:512 edits
    This thread is mainly about the effectiveness of calling on the name of the Lord.
    It does not preclude that other important subjects do not exist.

Calling On the Name of the Lord

YouTube
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Jun '16 21:31
    One of many of my favorites of many verses...
    Isa 42:3
    A bruised reed He will not break,
    And smoking flax He will not quench;
    NKJV

A smoking flax is like a candle where the flame has gone out and a small but glowing ember is still lit. God is saying if your hope is only a smoking flax He will not put it out.
    Just cry out "Lord help me".
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Jun '16 13:00
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    One of many of my favorites of many verses...
    [b]Isa 42:3
    A bruised reed He will not break,
    And smoking flax He will not quench;
    NKJV

A smoking flax is like a candle where the flame has gone out and a small but glowing ember is still lit. God is saying if your hope is only a smoking flax He will not put it out.
    Just cry out "Lord help me".[/b]
    That is right.

Along with calling "O Lord Jesus" Christians are also encouraged to call 'Abba Father". Either is good -

"O Lord Jesus! Lord Jesus!" OR

" Abba Father ".

Once we become believers both calling stirs up the testifying human spirit that we really do have an "organic" family relationship with God. Right here:

" For we have not received a spirit of slavery bringing you into fear again, but you have received a spirit of sonship in which we cry, Abba Father!

The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God." (Rom. 8:15,16)

It is vital to instantly affirm that connection deep within with God. Crying "Daddy! Papa! - Abba Father, my own dear Father" causes the Holy Spirit to bear witness with out regenerated human spirit that we are indeed a child begot by God.

Calling "O Lord Jesus" or crying "Abba Father" in time of temptation or trouble is very effective to unleash supernatural grace into our being.

We should OPEN UP OUR MOUTH. Yes God can know your thoughts. That is true.
    But because the current of the age is so strong to carrying us away from God, the believers must be as salmon fish swimming against the current.

Calling out with the mouth "O Lord Jesus,. O Lord Jesus." will propel your spirit against the tide and closer toward the living God.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Jun '16 16:512 edits
    In time of trouble or in time of no particular trouble, calling on the name of Jesus is running into a high tower.

" The name of Jehovah is a strong tower; The righteous man runs into it and is safe. " (Prov. 18:10)

When you call "O Lord Jesus. O Lord Jesus! Lord Jesus!! you find yourself in a strong and high tower. That is the indwelling presence of God.

If you are not sure that Christ has become your Savior you can call on the Lord Jesus thanking Him for dying for your sins, a sacrificial act that you fully receive with thanksgiving.

" O Lord Jesus. Lord Jesus. I believe You shed Your blood for the cleansing of my every sin. I receive this salvation right now O Lord. O Lord Jesus. Lord according to Your own word, be RICH to me as I call on Your name.

O Lord Jesus. O Lord Jesus!

Up in the high strong tower you will go.

Trying calling on the name of the Lord Jesus for three minutes.
    Your spirit will be afire.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree