1. Joined
    28 Jan '15
    Moves
    05 Jun '16 01:502 edits
    "Whoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved" (Rom. 10:13); compare with "Not everyone who says to Me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of the heavens " (Matt. 7:21).

Romans 10:13 says that whoever calls upon the name of the Lord will be saved. Calling upon the Lord's name in this verse is related to faith. As long as we believe in our heart and confess the Lord's name with our mouth, we will be saved. We do not need to do anything else to be saved. Believing in the Lord and confessing with our mouth are sufficient for our salvation. In contrast, Matthew 7:21 says that not everyone who says, "Lord, Lord," will enter into the kingdom of the heavens. This is very different from Romans 10:13, which says that calling on the Lord's name is all that is needed for salvation. According to the verse in Matthew 7, a person who calls, "Lord, Lord," may not be able to enter the kingdom of the heavens. While it is enough to call upon the name of the Lord for salvation, this is not sufficient to ensure that one will enter the kingdom of the heavens; it is also necessary to do the will of God. Thus, these two portions of the Bible also show that being eternally saved and entering the kingdom of the heavens are two different things.

“Not everyone who says to Me, Lord, Lord, will enter into the kingdom of the heavens…Many will say to Me in that day, Lord, Lord, was it not in Your name that we prophesied, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name did many works of power? And then I will declare to them: I never knew you. Depart from Me, you workers of lawlessness” (Matt. 7:21-23).

This word was spoken during the Lord's teaching on the mountain, so it does not refer to unbelievers who will go into eternal perdition but rather to believers who will not be able to enter the kingdom of the heavens. This group is not made up of unbelievers. We know they are saved because they call Him their Lord (cf. Rom. 10:13), and they serve the Lord and do good works in His name (which even the Lord does not deny). Although they are saved,they will not be able to enter the kingdom of the heavens when the Lord comes in that day, because they did not work for the Lord according to God's will. Although they did many good things, they did not do them according to the will of God. Although they worked in the Lord's name, they did not do God's will; instead, they acted contrary to God's will. In the Lord's eyes they are “workers of law- lessness.” This can be likened to a school that has a lights- out rule at ten o'clock. If some students study after ten, they are breaking the school rules, even though they may be doing something beneficial. In the school's eyes, how- ever, they are being lawless. Similarly, those who do a work for the Lord that is not according to God's will are lawless in His eyes. Since their actions are not according to God’s will, He does not know or approve of them.

The Greek for “never knew” in verse 23 is translated “do not acknowledge” in Romans 7:15. In the King James Version it is translated “allow not,” and in Darby's version and Berry’s Greek-English interlinear version, which is based on Stephen's Greek text, it is translated “do not own.” In Romans 7:15 Paul says, “What I work out, I do not acknowledge.” According to the context of this verse, what Paul works out is not something that he allows, owns, or approves of, because “what I will, this I do not practice; but what I hate, this I do” (v. 15). Since he does what he hates, he certainly does not allow, own, or approve of it. Similarly, the Lord considers those who are not working according to God's will to be lawless, and He does not acknowledge, allow, own, or approve of them. Therefore, they will be refused by the Lord and will not be able to enter the kingdom of the heavens. This will be the end of every worker for the Lord who does not work according to the will of God; it will be the punishment they receive.
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    05 Jun '16 05:51
    Originally posted by kevinlee123
    [b]"Whoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved" (Rom. 10:13); compare with "Not everyone who says to Me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of the heavens " (Matt. 7:21).

Romans 10:13 says that whoever calls upon the name of the Lord will be saved. Calling upon the Lord's name in this verse is related to faith. As ...[text shortened]... who does not work according to the will of God; it will be the punishment they receive.
    [/b]
    Cut and paste is the best you can do?
  3. Joined
    28 Jan '15
    Moves
    05 Jun '16 06:35
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Cut and paste is the best you can do?
    I'm not an English speaker. Period.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 Jun '16 07:171 edit
    Originally posted by kevinlee123
    I'm not an English speaker. Period.
    Praise the Lord Kevin. Thankyou for the paste and references.

And don't be bothered paying attention to everything this naysayer writes.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 Jun '16 07:571 edit
    Nobody ever said not to all on the Lord. There is however mention of the following warnings:

Rajk999 hasn't said one positive thing about calling on the Lord as far as I can see. I knew that he immediately would only consider every negative and discouraging thing to argue against the practice.

1. Calling on the name of the Lord IN VAIN is a sin

I knew that this poster would only immediately be so preoccupied with sin that you would see nothing but the discouraging side of everything I wrote. I knew that when speaking of calling on the Lord to touch the Lord he would only hunt for the possibility of sinning.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 Jun '16 07:58

2. Making vain repetitions with the mistaken belief that this leads to some kind of blessing from God. This in fact is distasteful in the sight of God.

We trust that God be the one to teach a man about vain repetition.

In Psalm 136 the phrase "For His mercy endures forever" is repeated after every line of this inspired writing. That's about 26 times or so. So some repetition is of God and can be helpful.

I do not have to be the "Repetition Police" to dictate how many times a person should call "O Lord Jesus. Lord Jesus".

We trust the Holy Spirit that He will give callers the sense of life within.
    We trust Christ the Head of the Body to teach and train from within.

We do not feel we have to regulate and dictate the precise number of repetitions is "acceptable" to our opinions.

You call on the Lord as many times as you feel you need to call.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 Jun '16 07:594 edits

By far what is important is for the Christian to adhere to the commandments of Jesus Christ. But your type never preach that and instead to go to great lengths to demonstrate that Christs teachings are outdated and not relevant to todays Christian.

The focus of my OP is the benefit of calling on the Lord to contact the Lord.
    It does not mean that there are no other important aspects of the Christian life.
    Adequate space and time I will give to CALLING .

Psalm 136 repeats "For His living kindness is forever" practically every line. That is an inspired repetition of about twenty six times. It does not mean that there is no other subject matter in the book of Psalms.

Christ said : Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: (Matthew 28:19-20 KJV)

Brother Kevin Lee is not a servant of Satan.

But we are told to suffer evil with the Gospel according to the power of God.
    For Jesus said men will oppose the spreading of the Gospel. And what more could teaching men to call on the name of the Lord Jesus "out of a pure heart" be besides teaching the Gospel?
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 Jun '16 08:012 edits
    Our teaching people to call on the Lord is to encourage them to touch the Lord, abide in the Lord, live in the Lord, live through the Lord, and allow the Lord Jesus to live through them.

Rajk999 calls a teacher of these things a servant of Satan.
    But Jesus said we could expect persecution.

"... but an hour is coming for every one who kills you to think that he is offering service to God. And these things they will do because they have not known Me." ( John 16:2,3)

If we have brought up another matter related to bring us into the realm of the Holy Spirit Rajk999 would probably immediately only hunt for the possibility of sinning in that as well.

Calling on the Lord is to reduce the distance or disconnect between a man and Jesus Christ THAT he may live in obedience to the Lord.
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    05 Jun '16 13:13
    Originally posted by sonship
    Our teaching people to call on the Lord is to encourage them to touch the Lord, abide in the Lord, live in the Lord, live through the Lord, and allow the Lord Jesus to live through them.

Rajk999 calls a teacher of these things a servant of Satan.
    But Jesus said we could expect persecution.

[quote] [b] "... but an hour is coming for every one who kills ...[text shortened]... distance or disconnect between a man and Jesus Christ THAT he may live in obedience to the Lord.
    Its is interesting that nowhere in the record of what Jesus said, is there any mention of Jesus advising people to call out his name.

There is mention of the stupidity of calling his name without obeying Him.

You mislead people. You do not direct people to the teachings of Christ. You are therefore a false teacher.
  10. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    05 Jun '16 14:00
    Its is interesting that nowhere in the record of what Jesus said, is there any mention of Jesus advising people to call out his name.

There is mention of the stupidity of calling his name without obeying Him.

You mislead people. You do not direct people to the teachings of Christ. You are therefore a false teacher.
    The bible is clearly full of instruction and examples of using Jesus' name, one only needs to read for themselves and open their eyes.

In speaking with his disciples before he was to be crucified, Jesus spoke of himself as he was talking in John 12

John 12-9-14 English Standard Version

9 Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works. 11 Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else believe on account of the works themselves.

12 “Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father. 13 Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.

Did you catch verse 14? If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.

I think you might be wrong, just a little maybe.
  11. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    05 Jun '16 14:12

By far what is important is for the Christian to adhere to the commandments of Jesus Christ. But your type never preach that and instead to go to great lengths to demonstrate that Christs teachings are outdated and not relevant to todays Christian.

The focus of my OP is the benefit of calling on the Lord to contact the Lord.
    It does no ...[text shortened]... call on the name of the Lord Jesus [b]"out of a pure heart"
    be besides teaching the Gospel?[/b]
    It may also be worth mentioning, which I am sure you are fully aware, the importance of Jesus' name and who he is...

Philippians 2:9-11 English Standard Version (ESV)

9 Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, 10 so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
  12. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    05 Jun '16 14:19

2. Making vain repetitions with the mistaken belief that this leads to some kind of blessing from God. This in fact is distasteful in the sight of God.

We trust that God be the one to teach a man about vain repetition.

In [b]Psalm 136
    the phrase "For His mercy endures forever" is repeated after every line of this inspired ...[text shortened]... cceptable" to our opinions.

You call on the Lord as many times as you feel you need to call.[/b]
    When I think of vain repetitions, Hail Mary's come to mind. One might have to recite 10 Hail Mary's for forgiveness of some sin. But that is a prayer to Mary and not God.
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    05 Jun '16 14:341 edit
    Originally posted by yoctobyte
    The bible is clearly full of instruction and examples of using Jesus' name, one only needs to read for themselves and open their eyes.

In speaking with his disciples before he was to be crucified, Jesus spoke of himself as [b]he
    was talking in John 12

John 12-9-14 English Standard Version

9 Jesus said to him, “Have I bee ...[text shortened]... advising people to call out his name.[/quote]
    I think you might be wrong, just a little maybe.[/b]
    First of all your reference to John 12 is wrong.. maybe you might want to fix it.

Can you spot the difference between what I said [not what you think I said], and what you quoted?

I am referring to what sonship is saying about CALLING OUT JESUS NAME... FOR THREE MINUTES While you are quoting where Jesus said to ASK IN HIS NAME.

Do you understand the warning of the sin of taking the Lords name in vain?
    Do you appreciate what Christ said about vain repetitions when praying?

Try to understand the teachings of Christ and try to resist the temptation to gravitate to false teachers whose words are sweet but whose doctrine leads to death.
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    05 Jun '16 14:39
    Originally posted by yoctobyte
    When I think of vain repetitions, Hail Mary's come to mind. One might have to recite 10 Hail Mary's for forgiveness of some sin. But that is a prayer to Mary and not God.
    So you think that Catholics use vain repetitions but calling out Jesus name for three minutes is not vain repetitions in your opinion.
  15. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    05 Jun '16 14:561 edit
    So you think that Catholics use vain repetitions but calling out Jesus name for three minutes is not vain repetitions in your opinion.
    I think there is a difference between calling on Mary and calling on Jesus and the example I had given is an example of what comes to mind when talking of vain repetitions.

edit: I would also add, from what I read of sonships post, he did not say call out Jesus name for three minutes, he said Trying calling on the name of the Lord Jesus for three minutes, thats praying.

Do you pray? For how long?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree