1. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 19:261 edit
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    At church the preacher preaches to the choir every week. Saved people hear about how they can be saved over and over again, ad nauseum. This 'competition' seems like an interesting opportunity to actually preach a sermon to someone other than the choir, in a forum where voices of dissent and criticism aren't silenced by the need for decorum. If g to fear from the worst this world has to offer. The notion is laughable...

Peace.
    epiphinehas: "Saved people hear about how they can be saved over and over again, ad nauseum. "

Maybe that is the case in fundamentalist American born again Christian circles but certainly not in mine.
  2. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 19:33
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Oh, give it a break. Neither Herr Doctor nor I are out in this competition to humiliate the entrants. I'm going to be judging entries based on clarity, coherence, creativity, and other relatively ideologically-neutral criteria. If you think this is all a big set-up, then please just pay attention to the actual competition. I think you'll be surprised.
    Ivanhoe (after the competition): "Bbarr, you explicitely stated you were not going to ridicule any participants in this competition."

Bbarr's answer: But Ivanhoe you are misrepresenting my position. I stated I was not going to humiliate the entrants. Look it up.

Bbarr: " ..... just pay attention to the actual competition. I think you'll be surprised. "

😀
  3. Illinois
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 19:361 edit
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    epiphinehas: "Saved people hear about how they can be saved over and over again, ad nauseum. "

Maybe that is the case in fundamentalist American born again Christian circles but certainly not in mine.
    I guess I don't need to wait until the sermon 'competition' to be lambasted...
  4. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 19:48
    Ivanhoe (after the competition): "Bbarr, you explicitely stated you were not going to ridicule any participants in this competition."

Bbarr's answer: But Ivanhoe you are misrepresenting my position. I stated I was not going to humiliate the entrants. Look it up.

Bbarr: " ..... just pay attention to the actual competition. I think you'll be surprised. "

😀
    Why don't you give the sermon a try? It would be interesting to see how you conceive of God's manifesting in your life for the better; how you have been transformed by Christ.
  5. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 21:33
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Why don't you give the sermon a try? It would be interesting to see how you conceive of God's manifesting in your life for the better; how you have been transformed by Christ.
    Ha ha ha ha ....... Nice try, Bbarr. How come your words sound so untrue ?
  6. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 21:34
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    I guess I don't need to wait until the sermon 'competition' to be lambasted...
    Are you a born again Christian ?
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 21:52
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Actually, I think Jesus is the worst joke to have ever been foisted upon mankind.
    Not really. What is a joke is the way some foist Jesus. But we can argue about that all day.
    There are jokes being foisted by science, such as evolution, that is a big laugh. And just look at "global warming". That kills me!
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 21:55
    become an atheist!
    Hey! Just how does one become an atheist? Is there some sort of rite of initiation, such as sensory deprevation.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 22:00
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    C'mon kirksey; who're you kidding?

This is what you said on page 1:
    Perhaps I need to clarify this "competition." It is not about "arguing." It is not about ridiculing. It is not about insulting. It is about getting straight feedback about proclamation or preaching skills.

From Scribbles??

From bbarr (who, I admit, is quite f ...[text shortened]... unforgivable. If you've got any integrity whatsoever you'll drop the charade.
    Personally, I don't give a rip what anyone thinks or says about my faith or beliefs.
    I'm going to keep posting here, there, and everywhere reguardless of what anyone says.
    And I'm not joking! Unless otherwise stated.
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 22:03
    Talk about a persecution complex!! As Jamiroquai says "paranoia, will destroy ya!"
    lucifershammers' objections aren't without merit.
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 22:11
    I have answered that question before. I do not participate in sermon competions ... actually I have never given a sermon and I do not intend ever to give one, certainly not in case the organiser is presenting the whole show in a language dripping with sarcasm and held back laughter about the things to come.

You're here for your entertainment, remember ?
    Acually I don't see it as a "sermon competition". I see it as an opportunity to expound on a particular idea or doctrine with the possibility that it may effect the way a person thinks.

There's a verse were Paul says, to paraphrase, "I become all things to all men that some might get saved".

Nobody is going to put me in a box. Let 'em laugh.
  12. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 22:26
    Originally posted by josephw
    Acually I don't see it as a "sermon competition". I see it as an opportunity to expound on a particular idea or doctrine with the possibility that it may effect the way a person thinks.

There's a verse were Paul says, to paraphrase, "I become all things to all men that some might get saved".

Nobody is going to put me in a box. Let 'em laugh.
    Agreed. The "competition" part's just for fun.
  13. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 02:23
    There are jokes being foisted by science, such as evolution, that is a big laugh. And just look at "global warming". That kills me!
    Yes, and all science has to back it up are mere facts.

As for global warming, well, you I don't understand J. You've got kids and grandkids if I remember rightly, do you think we can continue polluting the world and it'll all just "go away"? What do you want for your grandkids, man?
  14. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 02:24
    lucifershammers' objections aren't without merit.
    Yes, but the competition hadn't even started. As far as I can see, there is very little belittling going on, which shows lucy was just being paranoid.
  15. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 02:25
    Hey! Just how does one become an atheist? Is there some sort of rite of initiation, such as sensory deprevation.
    No, one just wakes up and understands God is an excuse, not an explanation.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree