1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Jun '07 03:51
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    The God of the bible has no explanatory power. For example, an explanation (theory / supported hypothesis) in science must have predictive power. "Goddunnit" is nothing most that an excuse, another way to say "we don't know" without having to say "we don't know".
    As far as I know there is no scientific way to prove the existence of God. But nevertheless I see the "proof" all around me.

I read somewhere recently that atheism is a philosophical impossibility. That in order to know that there is know God, one would have to know everything there is to know.

What do you think of this?
  2. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    16 Jun '07 04:06
    Originally posted by josephw
    As far as I know there is no scientific way to prove the existence of God. But nevertheless I see the "proof" all around me.

I read somewhere recently that atheism is a philosophical impossibility. That in order to know that there is know God, one would have to know everything there is to know.

That's as fallacious as the reverse - that in order to know there is a god you must know everything.
    I'm guessing you read it in some sort of Christian apologia, or some rant against atheists. Everyone can rally support for their position or they wouldn't hold that position. But I wouldn't read too much into any stereotypical account of atheists or atheism. The truth is, we're pretty much the same as you.
  3. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    16 Jun '07 05:03

It's rubbish. You can be an atheist in the same way you can be a theist, with incomplete evidence. Atheism is "not believing" in God, not "knowing there is no God".
  4. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    16 Jun '07 05:04
    You, scotty, are a worthy opponent!

Do you mind, "scotty"? I've seen someone use it before.
    Thanks! And no, I don't mind one bit.
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    17 Jun '07 04:48
    So what's the problem Kelly? Only the judges will be critiquing the "sermons". It'll be fun to hear what they have to say.
    Even Jesus hung out with the sinners. Which was everybody that was there at the time. I bet he had a smile on his face most of the time. Except when he was talking to the pharisees.

After all, it's really no different than any other ...[text shortened]... ink there's anything wrong with a good fight, do you?

I'm rambling again...
    I'm at the end of a road trip, we drove half way across country, we are
    on our way back now. I have my lap top with me, but don't always find
    myself in a place I can connect to the internet. I should be home
    soon, then we will see.
    Kelly
  6. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    17 Jun '07 05:42
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I'm at the end of a road trip, we drove half way across country, we are
    on our way back now. I have my lap top with me, but don't always find
    myself in a place I can connect to the internet. I should be home
    soon, then we will see.
    Kelly
    Catch you in the next round. Rest up.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree