1. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 03:371 edit
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Humor is good. But when it is to make light of God and His Word, isn't it a bit like joining the seat of the scornful?...No thanks, count me out.
    Where did you get the idea that the point of the sermon competition was to make fun of your religion? The point is to give you the chance to put your best testimony forward. Help the rest of us understand how your relationship with God has transformed you for the better, so that we may be motivated to take the steps necessary for salvation.
  2. London
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 09:12
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Where did you get the idea that the point of the sermon competition was to make fun of your religion? The point is to give you the chance to put your best testimony forward. Help the rest of us understand how your relationship with God has transformed you for the better, so that we may be motivated to take the steps necessary for salvation.
    Puh-leeze. The least you can do is be honest with the guy.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 09:23
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Get real.
    Kelly
    pwned
  4. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 12:211 edit
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Puh-leeze. The least you can do is be honest with the guy.
    Just to demonstrate the diversity we looked for, RBHill was invited to be a guest judge. Imagine that, RBHill and Bbarr on the same panel. While I have yet to hear back from him, I think this demonstrates that this is not the way you characterize it. I have even sought out a person who iwould be considered sinner who would never darken the door of a church. I have sought out a person with pentecostal roots who has accepted. The "sinner" I sought out was at least respectful enough to get back to me and say he/she was overwhelmed with the consequences of sin in their life and couldn't do it right now, but maybe later.
  5. London
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 14:06
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Just to demonstrate the diversity we looked for, RBHill was invited to be a guest judge. Imagine that, RBHill and Bbarr on the same panel. While I have yet to hear back from him, I think this demonstrates that this is not the way you characterize it.
    C'mon kirksey; who're you kidding?

This is what you said on page 1:
    Perhaps I need to clarify this "competition." It is not about "arguing." It is not about ridiculing. It is not about insulting. It is about getting straight feedback about proclamation or preaching skills.

From Scribbles??

From bbarr (who, I admit, is quite fair and straight in pure philosophical discussions)? Do you want to tell me that you honestly believe neither of them will argue with, insult or ridicule the "contestants"?

What qualifications does a person need to be on your panel of judges?

This isn't really a competition -- it's a pillory. Putting a token Christian on your panel isn't going to change that. And it isn't even really a sermon competition at that -- you're not asking people to post on general Christian topics or specific Bible passages; you're asking for personal testimonies. Christians who post anything in defence of their faith on this forum hear no end of stick and ridicule; now you want them to reveal intimate details in the process and you're guaranteeing an openly hostile and contemptuous response with your panel selection.

It's despicable enough coming from anyone; from a so-called Christian pastor it's almost unforgivable. If you've got any integrity whatsoever you'll drop the charade.
  6. Standard memberblakbuzzrd
    Buzzardus Maximus
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 14:52
    Christians who post anything in defence of their faith on this forum hear no end of stick and ridicule; now you want them to reveal intimate details in the process and you're guaranteeing an openly hostile and contemptuous response with your panel selection.
    Hmm. I didn't read it that way. I'm actually enjoying the sermons so far, and not in an ironic way.
  7. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 15:55

Perhaps I need to clarify this "competition." It is not about "arguing." It is not about ridiculing. It is not about insulting. It is about getting straight feedback about proclamation or preaching skills.

From Scribbles??

From bbarr (who, I admit, is quite f ...[text shortened]... unforgivable. If you've got any integrity whatsoever you'll drop the charade.
    OK, let's start at the beginning. I started a thread to promote preaching skills in the same spirit that there was once a debate in this forum ( or was it the debate forum) with judges. As there is a lot of opinions around religion and faith in this forum I thought why not make this a competitive and learning experience. In fact this kind of exercise happens all the time in theolgoical training believe it or not.

I have no idea what the other judges will say. It may depend on the quality of the sermon they read as much as anything. I have posted that I will try to find something positive to say about every entry.

What qualifies one to be a judge? An interest in judging. A sometimes frequent poster in these forums. A desire to help people be more effective at preaching. So I am at a loss as to how you dcan say this is a "pillory" when it hasn't even started. Frankly, I've sat through some sermons that were a pillory. And who is the "token" Christian you are talking about?

The first round's topic was chosen with some intentionality. Not to ridicule the person, but to invite them to share on a personal level the meaning of their faith. How could anyone have a problem with that?

I would simply ask this of you: if you do not want to participate for whatever reason, please do not participate. And by that I would ask that you refrain from not only a sermon entry, but also any comments when the evaluatiing process begins. But I thank you for your concerns and you can follow this as you like and see if your concerns were valid.
  8. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 16:04
    OK, let's start at the beginning. I started a thread to promote preaching skills in the same spirit that there was once a debate in this forum ( or was it the debate forum) with judges. As there is a lot of opinions around religion and faith in this forum I thought why not make this a competitive and learning experience. In fact this kind of exercise ...[text shortened]... r your concerns and you can follow this as you like and see if your concerns were valid.
    Rev, he's just mad he didn't get called to be a judge.
  9. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 16:09

From Scribbles??

From bbarr (who, I admit, is quite f ...[text shortened]... unforgivable. If you've got any integrity whatsoever you'll drop the charade.
    Talk about a persecution complex!! As Jamiroquai says "paranoia, will destroy ya!"
  10. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 16:12

It's despicable enough coming from anyone; from a so-called Christian pastor it's almost unforgivable. If you've got any integrity whatsoever you'll drop the charade.
    Would you say it is more or less forgivable than a so-called Catholic priest molesting children?
  11. London
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 16:23
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Would you say it is more or less forgivable than a so-called Catholic priest molesting children?
    I had a feeling you'd say this. I suppose it must be almost Pavlovian for you by now.

Anyway, more forgivable.
  12. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 17:03
    You know who I'm talking about. Yep, Ivanhoe, Kelly Jay, RBHill, Jaywill, and a host of others. Consider entering the sermon competition in the sermon competition thread. This is your chance to show us your proclamation skills. We all know that you like to argue, debate and wrestle with the fallen from grace on the site. Now here is a chance to brin ...[text shortened]... n one atheist who will make an appearance.

Remember that we are called to be salt and light.
    I'll make comments if necessary but don't ask me to sing in your operettas ......
  13. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 17:04
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    I'll make comments if necessary but don't ask me to sing in your operettas ......
    What is to prevent you from delivering a sermon?
  14. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 17:05
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Bbarr: "Where did you get the idea that the point of the sermon competition was to make fun of your religion? .... "

I do love people with humour ..... good one Bbarr !

Ha ha ha ha ..... oh Bbarr ..... 😀 😛
  15. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 17:14
    What is to prevent you from delivering a sermon?
    I have answered that question before. I do not participate in sermon competions ... actually I have never given a sermon and I do not intend ever to give one, certainly not in case the organiser is presenting the whole show in a language dripping with sarcasm and held back laughter about the things to come.

You're here for your entertainment, remember ?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree