1. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 02:361 edit
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    Ha ha ha ha ....... Nice try, Bbarr. How come your words sound so untrue ?
    I have no ulterior motive here, Ivanhoe. I'm sincerely interested in how you think your relationship with God has made you a better person. Of course it is your prerogative to participate or not.
  2. Illinois
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 03:39
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    Are you a born again Christian ?
    Yes, I am.
  3. London
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 05:11
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Yes, and all science has to back it up are mere facts.
    If you really think that you seriously need to read some 20th century philosophers of science.
  4. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 05:20
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    If you really think that you seriously need to read some 20th century philosophers of science.
    Got any recommendations?

Please, also, I would be interested in what you consider to be a fact, and not a fact in science. For example, if I weigh a leaf, and it has a mass of 0.238g, is that a fact? If not, what is it? If I weigh 9 more, and conclude that the mean for that population is 0.264 +/- 0.010 g, is that a fact?

If I 15N label the leaf, measure the loss of N from the leaf through time, and the total N pool, are the extrapolated fluxes facts, or merely the component measurements? It's very difficult to draw distinct lines, but I'd consider protein turnover to have been proven beyond any reasonable doubt, and to be a "fact".
  5. London
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 05:21
    Originally posted by vistesd
    I think your charges of “misleading” are presumptuous. I think you also may be misreading some of Kirksey’s tongue-in-cheek humor in the affair (i.e., the “souls to be saved” bit).

Personally, I can’t think of anyone on here (including myself), that has not been ridiculed or personally insulted for something that they have posted. Nor, (offhand, and wit ...[text shortened]... take part, whether they believe that it is in some way farcical, or they simply do not wish to.
    Also, although “sermon” may be generally a Christian-contextual word, the thread is not limited to Christians; all religions were invited.

I am aware of that. In the context of this thread however, kirksey's assurances came from one Christian to another.

And if the judges do not act in bad faith, can Kirk expect the same from you?

Sure, no problem.
  6. London
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 05:34
    Got any recommendations?

Please, also, I would be interested in what you consider to be a fact, and not a fact in science. For example, if I weigh a leaf, and it has a mass of 0.238g, is that a fact? If not, what is it? If I weigh 9 more, and conclude that the mean for that population is 0.264 +/- 0.010 g, is that a fact?

If I 15N label the lea ...[text shortened]... nsider protein turnover to have been proven beyond any reasonable doubt, and to be a "fact".
    Got any recommendations?

Kuhn. Lakatos.

For example, if I weigh a leaf, and it has a mass of 0.238g, is that a fact?

If you weigh a leaf you will be making several assumptions (for instance, what the value of the acceleration due to gravity is at your location) as well as operating within a particular theoretical framework or paradigm (e.g. Newtonian physics).
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    15 Jun '07 02:44
    Yes, and all science has to back it up are mere facts.

As for global warming, well, you I don't understand J. You've got kids and grandkids if I remember rightly, do you think we can continue polluting the world and it'll all just "go away"? What do you want for your grandkids, man?
    Yes. You're right. We are polluting the planet. I hate it too.
    But there's no way we humans are going to stop this forward motion of "progress". I'm not a fatalist, but I have no faith in the efforts of man.
    This is crazy. How do we find the solution to this dilemma we humans are facing? If current trends continue I have no doubt we'll see war.

Man that sounds bad!
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    15 Jun '07 02:54
    No, one just wakes up and understands God is an excuse, not an explanation.
    The God I know isn't an excuse!

There's something here in this ...can you site one example as to how God is an excuse, and tell me how you draw that conclusion?
    Seriously, I didn't learn about God that way, and I would really like to know why you think the way you do.
  9. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    15 Jun '07 03:07
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    [b]Got any recommendations?

Kuhn. Lakatos.

For example, if I weigh a leaf, and it has a mass of 0.238g, is that a fact?

If you weigh a leaf you will be making several assumptions (for instance, what the value of the acceleration due to gravity is at your location) as well as operating within a particular theoretical framework or paradigm (e.g. Newtonian physics).[/b]
    Kuhn. Lakatos.

Thanks, I'll put them on my list.

leaf mass

Do you think these are unreasonable assumptions? Personally, I think you are taking the point to absurd lengths. Is there anything which could ever be called a "fact" within your theoretical framework? Religion would almost certainly fall foul of it on every single test.
  10. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    15 Jun '07 03:11
    Originally posted by josephw
    Yes. You're right. We are polluting the planet. I hate it too.
    But there's no way we humans are going to stop this forward motion of "progress". I'm not a fatalist, but I have no faith in the efforts of man.
    This is crazy. How do we find the solution to this dilemma we humans are facing? If current trends continue I have no doubt we'll see war.

Man that sounds bad!
    I can see where you are coming from, and we could have said the same with any number of environmental disasters which we solved. What about CFCs and the ozone hole? We reckon that'll be normal again by about 2050. Sulphur dioxide traps in industrial stacks have pretty much eliminated the worst effects of acid rain, and even going further back, the fact that we don't use so much coal in our industry anymore has helped a lot with air quality in many major cities.

We can do something about problems, but only if we properly commit and are willing to make difficult choices. In karate, people with defeatist attitudes shouldn't even bother getting on the mat, they've already lost. So too with real life, in my opinion.

Hope you are well, Joe.
  11. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    15 Jun '07 03:14
    Originally posted by josephw
    The God I know isn't an excuse!

There's something here in this ...can you site one example as to how God is an excuse, and tell me how you draw that conclusion?
    Seriously, I didn't learn about God that way, and I would really like to know why you think the way you do.
    The God of the bible has no explanatory power. For example, an explanation (theory / supported hypothesis) in science must have predictive power. "Goddunnit" is nothing most that an excuse, another way to say "we don't know" without having to say "we don't know".
  12. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    15 Jun '07 16:201 edit
    Actually, I think Jesus is the worst joke to have ever been foisted upon mankind.
    There's your token Atheist Kirksey!!!
  13. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    15 Jun '07 19:15
    Originally posted by Jay Joos
    I was looking for the "token Christian" he was talking about.
  14. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    15 Jun '07 21:12
    Originally posted by Jay Joos
    prove me wrong or shut up.
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Jun '07 03:45
    prove me wrong or shut up.
    You, scotty, are a worthy opponent!

Do you mind, "scotty"? I've seen someone use it before.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree