1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    01 Jun '17 12:21
    Originally posted by whodey
    And you are one of this sites biggest trolls.

I reckon we both win a cookie. 😵
    More like hands down the winner.
  2. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    01 Jun '17 16:26
    Originally posted by JS357

I have repeatedly said that I'm in that category of non-theist who, when I introspect on the existence of God, find no belief. God is for me an explanatory concept that varies from person to person.That's not an opinion about God existing or not, it's a simple report of having belief or not.

So does that make me a target? If so, I have a solution available.
    I'm curious. If you're in danger because you don't believe in God, then...
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    01 Jun '17 19:11
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I'm not trying to push anyone's buttons to drag them down, insteaduest or lift them up. For me
    the bottom line in this conversation is that there is a sure foundation we can go to with
    our fears, our guilt, and anything that is pressing against us, because there is a God who
    cares for us.

With respect to who may be vulnerable, unless there is some wa ...[text shortened]... taboo some topics you think may be harmful. If
    so please produce a list I would like to see it.
    I'm not suggesting anything like censorship.

People can stop coming to this forum if it is too rough , or stop reading certain members or threads.

There is however nothing wrong with asking someone to knock it off either by posting the request or by PM.

I do wonder if there have been studies if the effectiveness of threats of being thrown in the lake of fire, on conversion rates.
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 Jun '17 21:52
    I'll watch it with you, and let me know what you think.
    🙂
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Jun '17 23:44
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I really don't see how hell could be worse than life on Earth in the here and now. It is only ignorance that keeps us from knowing the bitter awful truth of reality.
    As we educate ourselves in the 'ways of the world' we become more in tune with what is really going on. It's daunting. I can see why people just want to be saved without really wanting to ...[text shortened]... ave been given a chance to learn on this beautiful planet. I for one am taking up the challenge.
    I thought you just said, "The world is getting better."

Which is it?
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    01 Jun '17 23:531 edit
    Originally posted by apathist
    I'm curious. If you're in danger because you don't believe in God, then...
    Is this fill in the blank? It depends on the danger and what options exist.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Jun '17 01:431 edit
    I'm not suggesting anything like censorship.

People can stop coming to this forum if it is too rough , or stop reading certain members or threads.

There is however nothing wrong with asking someone to knock it off either by posting the request or by PM.

I do wonder if there have been studies if the effectiveness of threats of being thrown in the lake of fire, on conversion rates.
    Yea, I've asked people to knock it off and ended up just writing them off when they
    continued. I don't think telling people about the danger of Hell is a threat, for me it is more
    of a warning. A threat is a do this or else due to a threat that didn't have to come, but a
    warning is there is a danger coming get ready, because its unavoidable if you are not
    ready.
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Jun '17 01:55
    Back in the middle ages the noble goal of saving souls was sometimes pursued by ruining the body of the unfaithful. Something very like it is seen today. There's nothing like that going to happen on this chess site forum but the warnings can still be spelled out in as much detail as the TOS allow. Those of you who do this are, so far, more moderate and self-re ...[text shortened]... t of having belief or not.

So does that make me a target? If so, I have a solution available.
    I missed your question the first time I read this. People are only targeted to be saved from
    the fate that was setup for the devil and his angels, but they either answer yes or no to
    God's call. The world of sin and everything in it that causes sin will be removed, that is a
    sweeping large number of us, because all of us are sinners. Our only hope is what can be
    done to make us clean before God, if we are not then we will fit in verse below.

I'm not sure what you are looking for when it comes to God, I have no idea what level of
    belief you think is required, by you. I hope it isn't something that on the level of you can
    now prove God is real, that will never come. Even if you were to experience some of the
    Spiritual gifts you'd not be able to take that experience and use it as proof to those who
    you speak too.

Matthew 13: 41 NIV
    The Son of Man will send out his angels, and they will weed out of his kingdom everything that causes sin and all who do evil.

Ephesians 5:27
    and to present her to Himself as a glorious church, without stain or wrinkle or any such blemish, but holy and blameless.
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    02 Jun '17 15:512 edits
    I missed your question the first time I read this. People are only targeted to be saved from
    the fate that was setup for the devil and his angels, but they either answer yes or no to
    God's call. The world of sin and everything in it that causes sin will be removed, that is a
    sweeping large number of us, because all of us are sinners. Our only hope is wha ...[text shortened]... self as a glorious church, without stain or wrinkle or any such blemish, but holy and blameless.
    "I'm not sure what you are looking for when it comes to God, I have no idea what level of belief you think is required, by you. I hope it isn't something that on the level of you can now prove God is real, that will never come. Even if you were to experience some of the Spiritual gifts you'd not be able to take that experience and use it as proof to those who you speak too. "

I get that. Early in my life I read "Man and His Gods" by Homer W. Smith and "Man's Search for Meaning" by Viktor Frankl. They were seminal in my thinking about why we have a focus on God. I continue to have an interest in such things. I've mellowed quite a bit over the years and now feel open to possibilities. I don't demand proof but I am also not anxious about never finding faith or having "stain or wrinkle." I feel that having anxiety about the hereafter only stifles my spiritual development, and that's another reason for not liking it when people bring up the fire and brimstone. I also doubt that they have a sincere desire to assist me.
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Jun '17 16:43
    "I'm not sure what you are looking for when it comes to God, I have no idea what level of belief you think is required, by you. I hope it isn't something that on the level of you can now prove God is real, that will never come. Even if you were to experience some of the Spiritual gifts you'd not be able to take that experience and use it as proof to those who ...[text shortened]... ople bring up the fire and brimstone. I also doubt that they have a sincere desire to assist me.
    A couple of things first being God already knows you, there isn't anything about your whole life that He says, "Wow, that's a surprise." I find that very comforting knowing He saw me at my worst and still came and died for me.

With respect to how much belief is required, I a firm believer in speaking the truth to God, even if that means telling Him exactly where you're at, I got nothing here Lord only a hope You are there. It isn't like we can fool God telling Him what we think He wants to hear.

An honest seeking will find Him, He does not play with those not being sincere.

The Hell part isn't something we have a say in, if it is real or not, and accepting it or rejecting it will not alter the truth of it.
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    02 Jun '17 19:04
    A couple of things first being God already knows you, there isn't anything about your whole life that He says, "Wow, that's a surprise." I find that very comforting knowing He saw me at my worst and still came and died for me.

With respect to how much belief is required, I a firm believer in speaking the truth to God, even if that means telling Him exac ...[text shortened]... a say in, if it is real or not, and accepting it or rejecting it will not alter the truth of it.
    I wrote a more detailed reply but lost it. Here's the bottom line.

I think teaching children the heaven/hell story as true, is emotional abuse.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Jun '17 19:15
    I wrote a more detailed reply but lost it. Here's the bottom line.

I think teaching children the heaven/hell story as true, is emotional abuse.
    Do you think telling them someday everyone that they love could die, even their puppy? What happens if someone does die and you have to explain that? Yes, harsh realities can hurt them, and you should pick your times and use wisdom when and if you have to. To hide things that may make them sad doesn't prepare them for what could happen regardless how you have protected them.
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    02 Jun '17 20:09
    Do you think telling them someday everyone that they love could die, even their puppy? What happens if someone does die and you have to explain that? Yes, harsh realities can hurt them, and you should pick your times and use wisdom when and if you have to. To hide things that may make them sad doesn't prepare them for what could happen regardless how you have protected them.
    Well there we are, with respect.
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Jun '17 21:43
    Well there we are, with respect.
    🙂
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 Jun '17 00:23
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I thought you just said, "The world is getting better."

Which is it?
    the world is getting better, imho, however i'm not privy to all processes, to all outcomes. I believe I'm not alone in suggesting this is the hardest stage of humanity to predict.
    5 years could make a lot of difference either way

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree