1. Standard memberDrimachus
    Christian
    England
    Moves
    01 Aug '08 11:54
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Werner Keller was not a Ph.D, nor an archaeologist. He was a journalist. Further, this source is not peer-reviewed, but apology masquerading as archaeology (the reviews of this book by actual archaeologists agree that it is nonsense) . Finally, nothing I've found in the sections of Keller's book available online supports your contention that Tyre ceased to ...[text shortened]... our source. So, again, give me peer-reviewed archaeological evidence of your contention.
    An expert in any field is vilified by his peers if he appears to veer off the accepted path. I find his book interesting and reliable and nowhere in it is he given to flights of fancy.
    Nobody claims Nebuchadnezzar destroyed Tyre. Alexander the great defeated it.
    Where did I claim that Tyre meant only the island?
    I have other books on biblical priophecy supprting the one regarding Tyre but since they are written by Christians there is obviously no point in quoting them.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Aug '08 11:55
    Originally posted by Drimachus
    I've just read from page 5 of this thread I have to say that the patience of Henry23 has impressed me and in no way is he "refuted".
    Then you are the same kind as him.

Then what is your definition of a prophecy?

I presented one, he agreed to it (if he didn't he would correct the def) then he denied the proof base on the def.

So tell me, what is your definition of a prophecy? Henry didn't provide on, can you?
  3. Standard memberDrimachus
    Christian
    England
    Moves
    01 Aug '08 12:02
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Then you are the same kind as him.

Then what is your definition of a prophecy?

I presented one, he agreed to it (if he didn't he would correct the def) then he denied the proof base on the def.

So tell me, what is your definition of a prophecy? Henry didn't provide on, can you?
    Yes, I am exactly the same 'kind' as him but, alas, I do not have his patience and refuse to cover all the same points as you raised with him. He answered each one precisely and intelligently and I refuse to cover the same ground again. I repeat - in no way did you refute his points. You seem unable to listen to facts.
  4. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    01 Aug '08 12:07
    An expert in any field is vilified by his peers if he appears to veer off the accepted path. I find his book interesting and reliable and nowhere in it is he given to flights of fancy.
    Nobody claims Nebuchadnezzar destroyed Tyre. Alexander the great defeated it.
    Where did I claim that Tyre meant only the island?
    I have other books on biblical priophecy ...[text shortened]... rding Tyre but since they are written by Christians there is obviously no point in quoting them.
    Bull. The Journal of Biblical Archaeology does not vilify the devout for seeking out evidence of the Bible's veracity (and even this journal panned Keller's book). I simply do not care that you, somebody with no real background in antiquity or archaeology finds the work of a hack interesting and reliable. I want evidence, and you have yet to provide any. The prophesy that concerns Tyre claims that Nebuchadnezzar enters the gates of Tyre, tramples the streets and puts its people to the sword. But this did not happen. His conflict with Tyre ended with a compromise. If Tyre does not mean only the island, but the ancient mainland area as well (that went by the same name), then that city still exists and has in perpetuity since antiquity. In either case the prophesy is false!
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Aug '08 12:23
    Yes, I am exactly the same 'kind' as him but, alas, I do not have his patience and refuse to cover all the same points as you raised with him. He answered each one precisely and intelligently and I refuse to cover the same ground again. I repeat - in no way did you refute his points. You seem unable to listen to facts.
    So how do you define "prophecy"?

Like the other fundamentalists: "A prophecy is something that is true, the false ones are not." Easy peasy... Circular.
  6. Standard memberDrimachus
    Christian
    England
    Moves
    01 Aug '08 12:48
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    So how do you define "prophecy"?

Like the other fundamentalists: "A prophecy is something that is true, the false ones are not." Easy peasy... Circular.
    Your quote is ridiculous. I give up on you.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Aug '08 13:131 edit
    Your quote is ridiculous. I give up on you.
    Oh, thank you, thank you god, thank you!
  8. Standard memberDrimachus
    Christian
    England
    Moves
    01 Aug '08 17:37
    The prophesy that concerns Tyre claims that Nebuchadnezzar enters the gates of Tyre, tramples the streets and puts its people to the sword. But this did not happen.
    No it doesn't - at least, not in any of my versions!
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    01 Aug '08 17:40
    There are still people who believe in a flat Earth as well.
    Many even believe the THEORY of evolution. Some people you simply cannot make see the truth.
    Your 'truth' seems to require willful ignorance and dismissal of good evidence. You can keep it.
  10. Standard memberDrimachus
    Christian
    England
    Moves
    01 Aug '08 18:032 edits
  11. Standard memberDrimachus
    Christian
    England
    Moves
    01 Aug '08 18:05
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    You can keep it.[/b]
    Thanks - I will!
  12. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    01 Aug '08 20:04
    No it doesn't - at least, not in any of my versions!
    See Ezekiel 26:7-11, in both the King James Bible and the Tanakh.
  13. Joined
    18 Dec '06
    Moves
    01 Aug '08 22:31
    7For thus says the Lord GOD, "Behold, I will bring upon Tyre from the north Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, (I)king of kings, with horses, (J)chariots, cavalry and a great army.

8"He will slay your daughters on the mainland with the sword; and he will make (K)siege walls against you, cast up a (L)ramp against you and raise up a large shield against you.

9"The blow of his battering rams he will direct against your walls, and with his axes he will break down your towers.

10"Because of the multitude of his (M)horses, the dust raised by them will cover you; your walls will (N)shake at the noise of cavalry and wagons and chariots when he (O)enters your gates as men enter a city that is breached.

11"With the hoofs of his (P)horses he will trample all your streets He will slay your people with the sword; and your strong pillars will (Q)come down to the ground.
  14. Standard memberDrimachus
    Christian
    England
    Moves
    02 Aug '08 11:15
    See Ezekiel 26:7-11, in both the King James Bible and the Tanakh.
    Humble apologies! You are quite right. For years I've had the wrong impression that Nebuchadnezzar failed totally and that the prophecy didn't say that he would succeed... His 13 year siege took the city but everything had been moved offshore. 241 years later Alexander successfully took the remainder by "scraping the rock bare".
    Interesting is (in chess parlance 😏 ) Ezekiel 29:18
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Aug '08 15:47
    Humble apologies! You are quite right. For years I've had the wrong impression that Nebuchadnezzar failed totally and that the prophecy didn't say that he would succeed... His 13 year siege took the city but everything had been moved offshore. 241 years later Alexander successfully took the remainder by "scraping the rock bare".
    Interesting is (in chess parlance 😏 ) Ezekiel 29:18
    You are not always right, dear Drimachus. You've learnt something here. What about the rest...?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree