can you do this....

can you do this....

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s

At the Revolution

Moves
19 Jul 08

Originally posted by jaywill
Proof of what ?

Do you want evidence for the resurrection of Christ ?

I do not claim to be able to "prove" what is a matter of faith. I can supply what my evidence is that makes me think we are on the right track to believe that Christ rose.

What kind of proof are you looking for? Did I promise to prove something in some mathematical sense ...[text shortened]... you have a formula demonstrating the rigorous "proof" that Christ is not the Son of God ?
I don't accept anything without proof. I am not one to sit here and pray because I just accept anything without criticism.

AH

Moves
19 Jul 08
3 edits

Originally posted by jaywill
=====================================

Why would you think there could be a “need” to create delusional ideas? In what way do we “need” to create delusional ideas? I have no such “need“.

=========================================

The issue is why man has the need to worship or meditate on the transcendent origins of his existence and such ible other human like social skills are manifested - ie. ants, bees.

Continue latter.[/b]
…The issue is why man has the need to worship or meditate on the transcendent origins of his existence and such things

A hungry person may mistakenly eat something that is bad for them. This is akin to concocting a delusion. However, the hunger is there for some reason. That is what I am getting at. …

So are you saying that theists believe there is a god merely because they emotionally desire that to be true?

I desire to be a millionaire but no mater how much I may emotionally desire that, I cannot convince myself it is true because I know that desiring something to be so does not make it so -do you agree?

…You may say "I have no need". But you certainly display a need to come here and debunk all those who speak of God. That in itself portrays a preoccupation with the subject. … (spelling corrected)

What it portrays is my strong dislike for delusional beliefs that I know exists in others for the existence of such extreme dilutions concerns me for it makes me fear that some people will never really know the truth about anything significant and I see that as intrinsically harmful.

e

Moves
19 Jul 08

Originally posted by scherzo
And the radio signals. Don't forget about the radio signals.
this is horribly incorrect, the radio signals in no way prove the big band theory... hence the word "theory"... in fact, a large number of scientists dismiss it

e

Moves
19 Jul 08

Prove that God exists.

The truth is that science and God cannot coexist. The Catholic Church realized that during the Dark Ages (what we call the one time that religion ruled the West), and started killing people who made scientific advancements for fear that the advancements would cause heresy. That is true. Science trumps religion.

Here's what would ...[text shortened]... s happened.

That is why a die-hard Christian like yourself would be scared of science.
this is so wrong.... please brush up on your history... i dont even know where to start... a simply search of the Inquisition and its roots would be good...

s

At the Revolution

Moves
19 Jul 08

Originally posted by eatmybishop
this is so wrong.... please brush up on your history... i dont even know where to start... a simply search of the Inquisition and its roots would be good...
Then what did happen?

s

At the Revolution

Moves
19 Jul 08

this is horribly incorrect, the radio signals in no way prove the big band theory... hence the word "theory"... in fact, a large number of scientists dismiss it
And a large number more accept it. [excuse the grammar- I didn't know how else to powerfully phrase it]

AH

Moves
19 Jul 08

-and no doubt an even larger (much larger) number of scientists don’t dismiss it. All the scientists that I once spoke to believe that the big bang happened.

There are radio signals that are thought to be the background echo of the big-bang.
I guess if those radio signals were not produced by the big band then it would be hard to account for where they came from -unless you have a theory of your own about this?

I said exactly the same thing in another thread but:

Although I don’t believe much is certain about the big bang other than it happened (in particular, I am highly suspicious of inflation theory), something can be both a “theory” and a “fact”. Many “theories” have been scientifically proven. Therefore, merely pointing out that a theory, such as the big bang theory, is called a “theory” is not an argument that it is not a fact. You have to look at the evidence (or the lack of it) to rationally determine whether or not a particular theory is also a fact.

s

At the Revolution

Moves
19 Jul 08

Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
-and no doubt an even larger (much larger) number of scientists don’t dismiss it. All the scientists that I once spoke to believe that the big bang happened.

There are radio signals that are thought to be the background echo of the big-bang.
I guess if those radio signals were not produced by the big band then it would be hard to account for whe ...[text shortened]... e (or the lack of it) to rationally determine whether or not a particular theory is also a fact.
Hey, that's what I just said! 😠

😉

Just in less words.

AH

Moves
19 Jul 08

Hey, that's what I just said! 😠

😉

Just in less words.
I apologise -I somehow didn’t quite notice your post! 🙂
If I had noticed, I would have added “as scherzo has already pointed out: ….”

s

At the Revolution

Moves
19 Jul 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
I apologise -I somehow didn’t quite notice your post! 🙂
If I had noticed, I would have added “as scherzo has already pointed out: ….”
No, it's fine, jk. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

P

weedhopper

Moves
20 Jul 08

Originally posted by PsychoPawn
The problem is, the onus to prove god is on those that claim he exists.

It's not evidence of absence of god that leads me to disbelieve - it's absence of evidence.
If you are saying that someone who is prosyletizing and trying to convert you has the onus of proving his point to your satisfaction, I agree.
But, someone who simply states "I believe in God" owes NO one an explanaition, or proof of any kind.

P

weedhopper

Moves
20 Jul 08

also, 13 billion...??? i think you find scientists agree its around 15 to 20 million... if it were true of course, but it isnt
The latest scientific reports I've read and seen discusseed in documentaries by Tyson and that white-haired physicist who reminds me of Yoda do agree on 13.5 billion years for the age of the uni.

D
Christian

England

Moves
20 Jul 08

Many religious nutcases think its impossible.
Bible prophecies have proved to be 100% accurate so I believe it's prophecies for the future can be relied on as well. Try consulting it!

F

Moves
20 Jul 08

Originally posted by Drimachus
Bible prophecies have proved to be 100% accurate so I believe it's prophecies for the future can be relied on as well. Try consulting it!
100% eans that every prophecy is true in the bible. Actually, the follower of Nostradamus says the same thing about Nastradamus prophecies.

I just prooved that there are prophecies in the bible that is simply not true, even those who were spoken by god himself.

See Thread 96558 from page 5 and onwards, see our friend Henry23 be proven wrong in his same belief as yours, that every prophecy in the bible is right.

s

At the Revolution

Moves
20 Jul 08

Originally posted by Drimachus
The prophecies, like those of Nostradamus, are ambiguous and made to apply to an event after it happened. Look at this:

Sometime in the 3rd millennium I will die.

😲 When I die, and it's in the 3rd millennium, it's not prophetic.