Does anyone know?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    19 Jul '17 11:331 edit
    Originally posted by @josephw
    What makes God holy?

Does anyone know?
    God is different from everything that exists.
    Nothing is like Him.

Your question is not that easy. But I think the holiness of God has to do with God's absolute uniqueness from all other persons, things, matters in reality.

God ALONE ... is holy:

" Who will not fear, O Lord, and glorify Your name? For You alone are holy ..." (Rev. 15:4a)

I think holiness also has something to do with a spiritual and moral purity. This I may comment on below.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    19 Jul '17 11:38
    Joseph, why did you call this thread "Casting a Pearl" ?

O well, I wrote that God alone is holy from Revelation 15:4.

Of course this means that He is the original Source of holiness.
    There are the holy angels.
    There are the saints made holy.
    There is even in the Christian marriage the marriage bed described as holy.

We can conclude that some other things in the universe being set apart or set aside for God may be called holy.

But then there are people into whom God dispenses His life and nature to saturate them. They become holy. But the Source is the One Who ALONE ... is holy.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Jul '17 11:541 edit
    What makes God holy?

Does anyone know?
    Pretty much all gods and religious texts - as far as I am aware - are perceived as "holy" by whichever groups believe in them. And that's what being "holy" amounts to: it's a kind of aura or a significance generated by the perception and reverence of the various religions' adherents.
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    19 Jul '17 12:09
    What makes God holy?

Does anyone know?
    Holy - clean and free from sin and corruption
    Unholy - unclean, sinful, corrupted.

God is Holy and destroys whatever is unholy
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    19 Jul '17 12:151 edit
    On YouTube R C Sproul has some helpful lectures on the holiness of God.
    I have heard a couple of them.
    Here is a list from which you might pick.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rc+sproul+holiness+of+god
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    19 Jul '17 16:40
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    Holy - clean and free from sin and corruption
    Unholy - unclean, sinful, corrupted.

God is Holy and destroys whatever is unholy
    You should listen to sonship.

While being "holy" does include being "free from sin", the main idea behind what makes God holy is the fact that there's no other being in existence like Him.

There is God, and there is everything else that God created.

God is holy in that He is the only one of His kind.
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    19 Jul '17 16:47
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Pretty much all gods and religious texts - as far as I am aware - are perceived as "holy" by whichever groups believe in them. And that's what being "holy" amounts to: it's a kind of aura or a significance generated by the perception and reverence of the various religions' adherents.
    You have the religious thing down. I think you must be expert about things religious.

All there's left for you to do now is believe in Jesus, that He died for your sins and rose from the dead, then you can flush any notion of what you think religion is. It's useless.

You must be born again.
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    19 Jul '17 17:49
    You should listen to sonship.

While being "holy" does include being "free from sin", the main idea behind what makes God holy is the fact that there's no other being in existence like Him.

There is God, and there is everything else that God created.

God is holy in that He is the only one of His kind.
    Thanks for the advice.
    I listen to Jesus Christ.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Jul '17 19:511 edit
    You have the religious thing down. I think you must be expert about things religious.

All there's left for you to do now is believe in Jesus, that He died for your sins and rose from the dead, then you can flush any notion of what you think religion is. It's useless.

You must be born again.
    The explanation of "holy" I offered applies to your religion in the same way as it applies to any other religions that incorporate the notion.
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    19 Jul '17 23:53
    The explanation of "holy" I offered applies to your religion in the same way as it applies to any other religions that incorporate the notion.
    Are you saying, then, that since there is only one singularly unique being in all creation, that that doesn't make Him holy?

Or are you going to continue to obfuscate away from the topic of the OP?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Jul '17 00:58
    Are you saying, then, that since there is only one singularly unique being in all creation, that that doesn't make Him holy?

Or are you going to continue to obfuscate away from the topic of the OP?
    The thing that makes your god figure (and religious literature) "holy" is the same thing that makes the gods and texts of other religions "holy": the perception of the religionists who believe in them. This is crystal clear, answers your OP directly, and is therefore the opposite of obfuscation.
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    20 Jul '17 10:36
    The thing that makes your god figure (and religious literature) "holy" is the same thing that makes the gods and texts of other religions "holy": the perception of the religionists who believe in them. This is crystal clear, answers your OP directly, and is therefore the opposite of obfuscation.
    On the contrary, as has been stated, what makes my "god figure" holy is that He is the only being of His kind in existence.

All you can do is contradict that, and without reason or justification.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Jul '17 13:16
    On the contrary, as has been stated, what makes my "god figure" holy is that He is the only being of His kind in existence.

All you can do is contradict that, and without reason or justification.
    I haven't bothered to contradict or even address your assertion that your god figure "is the only being of its kind in existence". Indeed, I have basically ignored it because it has nothing to do with the definition of "holy" and you can swap your assertions with your fellow Christians to your heart's content.

"Holiness" is in the eye [and mind] of the religionist beholder. In fact I am happy to use the word "holy" to refer to anyone's god figure - and the scriptures attendant thereto - in recognition of the way those god figures and texts are perceived by those who subscribe to them.
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    20 Jul '17 16:36
    I haven't bothered to contradict or even address your assertion that your god figure "is the only being of its kind in existence". Indeed, I have basically ignored it because it has nothing to do with the definition of "holy" and you can swap your assertions with your fellow Christians to your heart's content.

"Holiness" is in the eye [and mind] of the reli ...[text shortened]... recognition of the way those god figures and texts are perceived by those who subscribe to them.
    "Holiness" is in the eye, and mind, of FMF, and/or any other, according to a relativistic and subjective interpretation.

If you were born again, or had ever been born again, you'd know how faulty that kind of reasoning is.

You are wrong. God exists absolutely and independently of whatever notion you may subscribe to, and He exists as the one and only one like Him, and that's what makes God holy.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree