1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Jul '17 23:23
    Originally posted by @josephw
    "Holiness" is in the eye, and mind, of FMF, and/or any other, according to a relativistic and subjective interpretation.

If you were born again, or had ever been born again, you'd know how faulty that kind of reasoning is.

You are wrong. God exists absolutely and independently of whatever notion you may subscribe to, and He exists as the one and only one like Him, and that's what makes God holy.
    If you want to claim that the English word "holy" only applies to your own religion then you should perhaps be discussing the world "holy" on a web site where people agree with you. I think the word "holy" applies to your god figure and to your religious literature. But it applies to other religions too.
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    20 Jul '17 23:42
    What makes God holy?

Does anyone know?
    He's not.
    Nothing is .. or everything is. Either way I'm sensing you are not looking at this wholistically
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Jul '17 01:15
    Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
    He's not.
    Nothing is .. or everything is. Either way I'm sensing you are not looking at this wholistically
    At least the aging pot head recognizes that God exists.
  4. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    21 Jul '17 03:15
    What makes God holy?

Does anyone know?
    His nature.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    21 Jul '17 06:25
    Originally posted by @fmf
    If you want to claim that the English word "holy" only applies to your own religion then you should perhaps be discussing the world "holy" on a web site where people agree with you. I think the word "holy" applies to your god figure and to your religious literature. But it applies to other religions too.
    "If you want to claim that the English word "holy" only applies to your own religion..."

I don't, and didn't say any such thing. Your comment is irrelevant and can only be understood to mean you are obfuscating.

In any language, or religion, holy carries the connotation that something or someone is super good, or perfect, and while that concept can be applied to God generally, the concept of what makes God holy is that He is the only being of His kind in existence, and that's the idea I'm attempting to assert.

It's a simple straightforward assertion. Why you seem unable to address that idea directly tells me you're at a loss.

But not to worry. I'm at a loss to fathom the idea myself. Even though I know it's true, and I think you do too.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Jul '17 06:28
    In any language, or religion, holy carries the connotation that something or someone is super good, or perfect, and while that concept can be applied to God generally, the concept of what makes God holy is that He is the only being of His kind in existence, and that's the idea I'm attempting to assert.
    If you are agreeing that all god figures and religious texts are "holy" and this attribute is created and applied because of the perceptions of the various religions' followers, then I thank you for conceding the point.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    21 Jul '17 06:30
    Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
    He's not.
    I'm looking at it logically.

"Nothing is .. or everything is."

Paradoxical at best, and certainly not logical.
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    21 Jul '17 07:43
    If you are agreeing that all god figures and religious texts are "holy" and this attribute is created and applied because of the perceptions of the various religions' followers, then I thank you for conceding the point.
    I'm not agreeing "that all God figures and religious texts are "holy" ". I've not said a word to that effect at all. It's what you keep inserting into the discussion. It's off topic.

I'm making one simple assertion, that God is holy because He is the only single and unique being of His kind in existence. Because God is the only one like Him is what makes Him holy.

Isaiah 46:9
    Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me,

If you can, find anything similar in any other so-called "holy" texts.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Jul '17 07:49
    I'm not agreeing "that all God figures and religious texts are "holy" ". I've not said a word to that effect at all. It's what you keep inserting into the discussion. It's off topic.

I'm making one simple assertion, that God is holy because He is the only single and unique being of His kind in existence. Because God is the only one like Him is what makes Him holy.
    People of all religions claim that their gods and their texts are "holy", just like you do about your religion's god and texts. You will not be able to commandeer the word "holy" on behalf of your religion for its exclusive use. The word "holy" is much bigger and more widespread than just you and your religious beliefs. It belongs to all religionists and even to non-religionists too.
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    21 Jul '17 10:30
    People of all religions claim that their gods and their texts are "holy", just like you do about your religion's god and texts. You will not be able to commandeer the word "holy" on behalf of your religion for its exclusive use. The word "holy" is much bigger and more widespread than just you and your religious beliefs. It belongs to all religionists and even to non-religionists too.
    Prove it. You keep claiming "that people of all religions claim that their gods and their texts are "holy" ", but as of yet have failed to give proof of that claim.

Still, you're off topic. I haven't said anything about religion. You keep bringing it up as if it proves my assertion that a God is holy based on the fact that He's the only being of His kind in existence isn't true.

You'll have to do better than just making unfounded claims.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Jul '17 10:42
    Still, you're off topic. I haven't said anything about religion.
    You've been talking about your own religion: Christianity and the Abrahamic God.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Jul '17 10:431 edit
    Prove it. You keep claiming "that people of all religions claim that their gods and their texts are "holy" ", but as of yet have failed to give proof of that claim.
    I'm not going to bother trying to "prove" such an obvious thing to you.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Jul '17 10:50
    You keep bringing [religion] up as if it proves my assertion that a God is holy based on the fact that He's the only being of His kind in existence isn't true.
    The Hindus have many gods and they consider them to be holy. Their vedas are their holy scriptures.
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    21 Jul '17 10:521 edit
    I'm not going to bother trying to "prove" such an obvious thing to you.
    An admission of defeat no doubt.

Trying being original for a change and provide evidence for your claims.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Jul '17 10:55
    An admission of defeat no doubt.

Trying being original for a change and provide evidence for your claims.
    Do you think that Muslims believe their god is holy, that their texts are holy, that their places of worship and shrines are holy? Do you think Hindus use the word holy too for the same things? And Sikhs? And Jews? Do you really not realize how and why the word "holy" is used?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree