Celibacy

Celibacy

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S

Utrecht

Moves
20 Sep 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
I said, "One day we shall all know the truth."

Notice I said "we shall all" that does not mean that some of us do
not know the truth right now.
Are you 'some of us' knowing the truth?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
20 Sep 11

Originally posted by Conrau K
This doesn't at all answer the question I had above. What seems clear is that preceding the 11th century, there was continual push for mandatory clerical celibacy. By the 7th century the episcopate was restricted to either the unmarried or those willing to forego their conjugal rights. It seems that, whenever clerical celibacy actually arose, clerical conti ...[text shortened]... thood to be unmarried. There does not seem to be any sinister, entrepeneurial agenda behind it.
Only a Roman Catholic could have such a distorted mind to try to defend
such a rule.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
20 Sep 11

Originally posted by Sake
Are you 'some of us' knowing the truth?
You must have took your smart pill.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
20 Sep 11

Only a Roman Catholic could have such a distorted mind to try to defend
such a rule.
Well, I haven't actually defended the discipline of clerical celibacy at all. That would require a detailed look at Scripture and tradition and I am not really interested in apologetics. I am no longer Roman Catholic, or even a theist for that matter. All I am concerned with here are three issues: 1. how clerical celibacy came into existence; 2. the extent of clerical celibacy in the Roman Catholic Church; and 3, whether clerical celibacy is the same as a prohibition of marriage (which the Scriptures condemn).

S

Utrecht

Moves
20 Sep 11

You must have took your smart pill.
Yep, three.
The question was; are you one of them?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
20 Sep 11

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Not a Bible teaching at all and just another "burden" that this church puts on it's members. Something Jesus totally condemned of the religions of his time and that would still apply today.

Cape Town

Moves
20 Sep 11

Originally posted by galveston75
Not a Bible teaching at all and just another "burden" that this church puts on it's members. Something Jesus totally condemned of the religions of his time and that would still apply today.
But as I said before, only some Christians think that "Bible Teaching" is all there is. The Jews did not exclusively stick to the Bible and nor do many Christians. Before criticizing them for not doing so, you need to justify the practice. You also would do well to find out where this Bible actually came from.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
20 Sep 11

Originally posted by twhitehead
But as I said before, only some Christians think that "Bible Teaching" is all there is. The Jews did not exclusively stick to the Bible and nor do many Christians. Before criticizing them for not doing so, you need to justify the practice. You also would do well to find out where this Bible actually came from.
If a Christian follows Christ then one would follow the Bible. If there were more to the Bible then what we have, then God would see to it that we would get the rest of what is missing and that it would not contradict itself with the Bible that we already have.
And I do know exactly where the Bible came from as it was authored by God himself and used man to pin it for him.

s
Aficionado of Prawns

Not of this World

Moves
21 Sep 11

I think it is good, proper and possible to remain celibate until marriage. Peer pressure would be intense but putting it all behind, you'd be a stronger person for it.

Notice I said possible - but let's be real. It's certainly not probable unless you have dominating, watchful parents, or, you are unattractive; in which case you may end up being celibate until marriage whether you choose to or not.

So in the world according to Dasa (Asad?), anyone who engages intimately with another--married or not--is putting sex before God. Well then let's play that theory out all the way. Anyone who eats is putting food before God. According to Dasa, evidently anyone who even so much as breathes is impure and sinful for placing more importance on oxygen than God.

Cape Town

Moves
21 Sep 11

If a Christian follows Christ then one would follow the Bible. If there were more to the Bible then what we have, then God would see to it that we would get the rest of what is missing and that it would not contradict itself with the Bible that we already have.
And I do know exactly where the Bible came from as it was authored by God himself and used man to pin it for him.
Hilarious. If that's the best you can do, then you have no right criticising Catholics over celibacy.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
21 Sep 11

Originally posted by sumydid
I think it is good, proper and possible to remain celibate until marriage. Peer pressure would be intense but putting it all behind, you'd be a stronger person for it.

Notice I said possible - but let's be real. It's certainly not probable unless you have dominating, watchful parents, or, you are unattractive; in which case you may end up being celibate ...[text shortened]... much as breathes is impure and sinful for placing more importance on oxygen than God.
This thread is about the requirement by the Roman Catholic Church that
priests must remain celibate to continue as priest in the RCC. Do you
think this is a good rule? Should they be allowed to marry if the promise
to remain celibate?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
21 Sep 11

Originally posted by twhitehead
Hilarious. If that's the best you can do, then you have no right criticising Catholics over celibacy.
Sorry to let you down but then that's not important at all if I do..

s

England

Moves
21 Sep 11

do you think gods word is only in the bible from the time of adam, there are many more works, than the 66 books, they were put together for our start of knowledge by the r,c, pope, its for you to discover the wide range as god has given us

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 Sep 11

priests must remain celibate to continue as priest in the RCC. Do you
think this is a good rule? Should they be allowed to marry if the promise
to remain celibate?
priests must remain celibate to continue as priest in the RCC.

Well, no, this thread was about the vocations crisis that the Catholic Church is facing. The question was whether the abolition of mandatory celibacy would result in a resurgence of priestly vocations.

Should they be allowed to marry if the promise
to remain celibate?

In fact, they can. A married man may decide to enter religious life (that is, taking solemn vows of chastity, poverty and obedience). In that case, provided the wife also chooses to forego her conjugal rights, the married man could take a vow of chastity, specifically of continence.

There seems to be a confusion of terminology here. In canonical terms, celibacy is simply the state of being unmarried. In the above case, the married man who takes solemn vows would still not be celibate. He would actually be continent abstaining from sexual activity with his wife.

Cape Town

Moves
21 Sep 11

Sorry to let you down but then that's not important at all if I do..
You didn't let me down, you just gave me a good laugh.