1. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    18 Dec '09 18:51
    Politicians who are responsible for solving poverty , unemployment but have never experienced these things first hand or got their hands dirty just don't cut the mustard. I'm sure many agree. The same would apply to a Counsellor or Psychologist who has never faced their own demons. They are just not qualified enough in the school of life to have any real authority. They only have authority on paper.

So, there may not be a God of course but once we have decided that there is then there can be only one religion and one way.

Any God that is not prepared to meet human suffering , death and sin head on without dodging it is not worth bothering with in my opinion.

Christianity is the only religion that has any chance of meeting human suffering in a real way. In Christ , God experiences death , rejection , sin and pain.

No other religion can claim this in the same way.

So if you are looking for a REAL God who can come alongside you and sit by you and let you know that he understands something of your pain , hurt and fear -then Christ is the only way I'm afraid. He earned it . Mohammed , Buddha and the rest didn't.

Christianity says that God can meet us right in the very depths of our despair , our hurt and our pain. He WANTS to meet us there.

That's why Christ is different . He went there. Hanging on a cross , fragile , broken in pain that's exactly the kind of thing I would expect of a real living God.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 Dec '09 20:03
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    Christ is the only way
    No, Christ is not the only way
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    19 Dec '09 00:50
    Politicians who are responsible for solving poverty , unemployment but have never experienced these things first hand or got their hands dirty just don't cut the mustard. I'm sure many agree. The same would apply to a Counsellor or Psychologist who has never faced their own demons. They are just not qualified enough in the school of life to have any re ...[text shortened]... e , broken in pain that's exactly the kind of thing I would expect of a real living God.
    Knock it off!!
    You disrespect other religons . Why?
    Some of you christians just cant seem to have to have it both ways, but thats the way it is.
  4. Maryland
    Moves
    19 Dec '09 01:05
    Politicians who are responsible for solving poverty , unemployment but have never experienced these things first hand or got their hands dirty just don't cut the mustard. I'm sure many agree. The same would apply to a Counsellor or Psychologist who has never faced their own demons. They are just not qualified enough in the school of life to have any re ...[text shortened]... e , broken in pain that's exactly the kind of thing I would expect of a real living God.
    The way Christ died proves that god is sadistic!
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Dec '09 01:111 edit
    Originally posted by 667joe
    The way Christ died proves that god is sadistic!
    tell me jojo, why did Christ have to die?

Disclaimer: All characters appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. All references may or may not be from a third party, the author claims no responsibility for the content, nor are any to be taken as representative of his own work!
  6. Maryland
    Moves
    19 Dec '09 01:26
    Because god is sadistic! Either that or Jesus was a supreme masochist. No, that's not right because every one knows that a sadist would do nothing to a masochist.
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    19 Dec '09 01:27
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    tell me jojo, why did Christ have to die?
    Because he was mortal.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Dec '09 02:00
    Originally posted by 667joe
    Because god is sadistic! Either that or Jesus was a supreme masochist. No, that's not right because every one knows that a sadist would do nothing to a masochist.
    that is the perception that you hold of the manner of death, not why he had to die.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Dec '09 02:01
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Because he was mortal.
    i am mortal, you are mortal, but that does not mean that we must undergo a sacrificial death, does it?
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    19 Dec '09 05:31
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Because he was mortal.
    That's good!

Not to be sarcastic rwingett, but you nail it sometimes.

I just have one question. Why did Jesus have to rise again?
  11. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    19 Dec '09 06:07
    Originally posted by josephw
    That's good!

Ah, but in posing that question you completely ignore the question that rwingett answered.

Only a mortal can die. Jesus of Nazaeth was therefore mortal.
  12. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    19 Dec '09 12:46
    Originally posted by josephw
    That's good!

He didn't have to rise again, and in fact did not rise again. The resurrection is a myth. Jesus was a mortal human being who died. If there is to be a 'second coming', it will be a figurative one, and not a literal one.
  13. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    21 Dec '09 21:561 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Knock it off!!
    You disrespect other religons . Why?
    Some of you christians just cant seem to have to have it both ways, but thats the way it is.
    I fail to see how it is disrespectful to other religions. I simply say that the other religions don't seem to tackle death , suffering pain and hurt in a head-on way like Christ does. In Christianity God can say with authority that in Christ he KNOWS suffering and experienced it. God gets his hands dirty in a way that other religions can't claim.

For me , that gives Christianity a dimension that the others don't have because God is not aloof and remote , he is right in there with us in all the pain and hurt.

In my book that counts for a hell of a lot. Could you explain why it's not on your radar? Do you disagree with my assessment? If so why? If you think that Buddhism or Islam do actually tackle death and suffering head -on and authentically like Christ does then please enlighten me. So far you have not made an argument.
  14. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    21 Dec '09 22:35
    I fail to see how it is disrespectful to other religions. I simply say that the other religions don't seem to tackle death , suffering pain and hurt in a head-on way like Christ does. In Christianity God can say with authority that in Christ he KNOWS suffering and experienced it. God gets his hands dirty in a way that other religions can't claim.

...[text shortened]... thentically like Christ does then please enlighten me. So far you have not made an argument.
    That God would attempt to at least partially remedy some of the suffering inherent in his own design is not heartwarming, nor endearing, but rather long overdue, yet ultimately inadequate, given that the 'way is narrow, and few find it' - few are actually saved.
  15. Standard memberua41
    Sharp Edge
    Dulling my blade
    Moves
    21 Dec '09 22:51

...[text shortened]... thentically like Christ does then please enlighten me. So far you have not made an argument.
    Right, because Buddhism doesn't immediately say

Life is suffering
    Suffering from ignorance
    There is potential for cessation of suffering
    Cessation of ignorance is cessation of suffering

something like that.

Suffering is a very inherent thing across every religion and philosophy.
    You just think Jesus deals with it directly because it's the clearest for you. There is nothing wrong with that, but everyone is going to find the definition of suffering relative and thus take more consensus with different religious/ philosophical perspectives of it and find that to be the most direct.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree