1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '10 22:433 edits
    Came across the following embedded in an article:
    As a psychologist I have come to realize that Christian fundamentalism is a form of mental illness. It is a form of psychosis where normal judgment processes for deciding what is real and unreal are suspended, and are replaced with an obsession for justifying beliefs using interpretations of an ancient religious book. Logic is suspended even in the face of overwhelming contradictions.

Quite frankly, it's difficult to not agree with this. Many seem to be fine until they get pushed passed a certain line at which any number of ego defense mechanisms show themselves and they become quite irrational. Is it because their beliefs are unsound and so they are unable to reconcile the contradictions via reason?
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Oct '10 00:09
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [quote]As a psychologist I have come to realize that Christian fundamentalism is a form of mental illness. It is a form of psychosis where normal judgment processes for deciding what is real and unreal are suspended, and are replaced with an obsession for justifying beliefs using interpretations of an anc ...[text shortened]... se their beliefs are unsound and so they are unable to reconcile the contradictions via reason?
    This is my question then.

What does the psychologist come to realize as just another human being?

How incredibly arrogant? Does being a "psychologist" make that person better qualified to judge than God?
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Oct '10 00:23
    Originally posted by josephw
    This is my question then.

What does the psychologist come to realize as just another human being?

How incredibly arrogant? Does being a "psychologist" make that person better qualified to judge than God?
    I didn't see where that psychologist claimed to be "better qualified than God".
    What leads you to believe that the views of this psychologist and God would not agree?
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Oct '10 00:32
    [quote]As a psychologist I have come to realize that Christian fundamentalism is a form of mental illness. It is a form of psychosis where normal judgment processes for deciding what is real and unreal are suspended, and are replaced with an obsession for justifying beliefs using interpretations of an anc ...[text shortened]... se their beliefs are unsound and so they are unable to reconcile the contradictions via reason?
    I think this is a good reminder for most christians and non christians as well.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Oct '10 00:49
    I didn't see where that psychologist claimed to be "better qualified than God".
    What leads you to believe that the views of this psychologist and God would not agree?
    Don't be silly. It's obvious by reading what that individual said that he/she thinks that believing in what the Bible says is "a form of psychosis".

You can't see that?
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    14 Oct '10 01:34
    Don't be silly. It's obvious by reading what that individual said that he/she thinks that believing in what the Bible says is "a form of psychosis".

You can't see that?
    Maybe god would agree that reading the bible is a form of psychosis.
  7. Joined
    24 Sep '10
    Moves
    14 Oct '10 01:385 edits
    [quote]As a psychologist I have come to realize that Christian fundamentalism is a form of mental illness. It is a form of psychosis where normal judgment processes for deciding what is real and unreal are suspended, and are replaced with an obsession for justifying beliefs using interpretations of an anc se their beliefs are unsound and so they are unable to reconcile the contradictions via reason?
    It's deeper

It deals with their guilt (conscious guilt knowing what is real), and is why they come so very manipulative in what they present, being the flesh opposed to the spirit (lie opposed to ones TRUE being).

And so the war of ignorance goes on.....

Until it doesn't...........................................
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Oct '10 01:51
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I think this is a good reminder for most christians and non christians as well.
    One has to wonder about the percentage of Christians that hold that view. It'd make for an interesting study.
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Oct '10 02:135 edits

You can't see that?
    Actually what it seems to be about is them holding beliefs even against evidence to the contrary rather rather than them believing in the Bible in general.

For example, I remember one poster who kept insisting that "the truth will make you free" refers to freedom from the penalty of sin rather than freedom from the slavery of committing sin. This despite the fact that the passage was provided and the text clearly states otherwise. It was quite stunning.

John 8:32-34
    So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free...Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin."

Things like that happen quite often on this forum. At times some have even attacked the person for pointing out the evidence to the contrary and have gone so far as to follow the person from thread to thread making all manner of false and/or misleading accusations and/or statements in an attempt to discredit the person. It's not pretty.
  10. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Oct '10 02:161 edit
    The pure teachings of Jesus will not be found in the bible because the materialistic ruling class at the time of compiling the bible, directed what it would say, and what it would not say.

Their intention was to give the bible and jesus as much authority as possible, so as to control and have power over the people, by threat of hell for the non believers.

They therefore could not have to go to hell, if they supported the church, because the church could intervene and make them right with god, who they had a personal telephone link to, at all times.

Therefore you find a mish mash of hit and miss truth.

Some of the false teachings are:

1. the soul is created at birth.

2. we all only have this one life, and its heaven or hell at the end.

3. if we dont pick christianity as our religion, we will end up in the lake of fire for eternity.

4. its ok to slaughter animals and eat their flesh.

5. jesus is God.

6. jesus brought back dead people to life.

7. creation is six thousand years old.

8. god created everything in six days.

9. jesus died and his material body came back to life.

10. jesus cured leprosy, blindness, dumbness and so on.

11. god spoke to adam and eve about apples and serpents.

12. the bible is the only truth.

13. the blood of jesus takes away all sin for the believer (in jesus)

14. moses parted the Red Sea

15. jesus is coming back.

etc, etc, etc.

The same is for Islam and Judaism as well.
  11. Joined
    03 Jul '10
    Moves
    14 Oct '10 02:28
    It appears that the Psychologist is stating since their interpretation of the Bible is false, even in the face of overwhelming evidence, his evaluation of Christian fundamentalism is a form of mental illness. Would that be a correct statement TOO?

I admit I do not know many fundamentalist Christians. I have run into a view and have been on the receiving end of the old "you're going to Hell" line a few times. Not a pleasant experience.
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Oct '10 02:32
    Originally posted by gtbiking4life
    It appears that the Psychologist is stating since their interpretation of the Bible is false, even in the face of overwhelming evidence, his evaluation of Christian fundamentalism is a form of mental illness. Would that be a correct statement TOO?

I admit I do not know many fundamentalist Christians. I have run into a view and have been on the receiving end of the old "you're going to Hell" line a few times. Not a pleasant experience.
    Read my post a couple before this one. Does that answer your question?
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    14 Oct '10 02:32
    That is limited to fundamentalist in your opinion or does it apply to most?
    Kelly
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Oct '10 02:561 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    That is limited to fundamentalist in your opinion or does it apply to most?
    Kelly
    I don't know the intent of the author. It was embedded in an article about the impact of Christian fundamentalists on politics in the US. Perhaps it would make sense to draw the line of "fundamentalist" at those who hold beliefs even against overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Of course such individuals would likely believe themselves to be fully rational and their beliefs sound with those opposing their views to be irrational. Such is the nature of the beast.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Oct '10 05:01
    My main objection to the conclusion is that 'mental illness' does not usually cover all forms of psychosis. The term is usually reserved for conditions that are not only unusual but considered harmful. Just because someone is lacking in intelligence, or acts illogically does not automatically warrant the term 'mentally ill' or we would all rightly be labelled with it. None of us consistently act in a logical manner - but who decided that we were supposed to in the first place?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree