1. weedhopper
    Moves
    02 Jan '11 00:36
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    They don't allow girls to wear high heels in catholic school. You'd give the nuns a good gasping eye-opening, and then you'd surely suffer the consequences. Sneakers and knee-socks, usually.
    Do nuns REALLY behave the way we've seen them caricatured? Hitting students on the knuckles with rulers, measuring hemlines, etc.? As a WASP, I have nearly zero knowledge of the REAL Catholic church, so naturally, I am cynical about painting them (or any group) with the broad "crazy brush."
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    02 Jan '11 02:11
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Look you've taken that out of context.
    I was specifically alluding to how women are treated, hence my comment.
    I think it better to see how those biblical principles are played out to determine what merit they have.

I can see where you to agree, thnx.

I have read the bible, but only once and would not feel very confident discussing matters from it, so I dont.
    "I have read the bible, but only once and would not feel very confident discussing matters from it, so I dont."

I'm sorry karoly, I haven't been too kind to you lately. I apologise.

That's ok. If you ever have a question about something in the Bible that doesn't seem to make sense or that you would like to know about from someone who has devoted considerable time to the study of the scriptures, don't be afraid to ask.
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    02 Jan '11 02:17
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Do nuns REALLY behave the way we've seen them caricatured? Hitting students on the knuckles with rulers, measuring hemlines, etc.? As a WASP, I have nearly zero knowledge of the REAL Catholic church, so naturally, I am cynical about painting them (or any group) with the broad "crazy brush."
    When I was in the third grade I was ushered down the hall to mother superiors senior class room, where she pinched my ears between her thumbs and forefingers and lifted me up onto my tiptoes.

To this day I have no idea exactly why. She was muttering something, but I was too young, naive, and innocent to understand.

I do remember feeling sorry for her though.
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 Jan '11 02:18
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]"I have read the bible, but only once and would not feel very confident discussing matters from it, so I dont."

I'm sorry karoly, I haven't been too kind to you lately. I apologise.

That's ok. If you ever have a question about something in the Bible that doesn't seem to make sense or that you would like to know about from someone who has devoted considerable time to the study of the scriptures, don't be afraid to ask.[/b]
    Thank you josephw.
    I shall take you up on that when it comes up. And I'm sure it will come up sooner or later๐Ÿ™‚
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    02 Jan '11 02:40
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Thank you josephw.
    I shall take you up on that when it comes up. And I'm sure it will come up sooner or later๐Ÿ™‚
    If you're serious, PM me about it.

I'm not giving Bible lessons in the forum. ๐Ÿ˜‰
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    09 Jan '11 01:121 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    If you're serious, PM me about it.

I'm not giving Bible lessons in the forum. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    I've been thinking about it and I dont see why you would not want to do it in the forum. I'll be nice, I promise.

Anyway,for you, or anyone else, I ask this: Do you think that womens roles (as prescribed by scriptures/church), are looked at as ONLY good for child bearing, (and all that goes with child bearing like "home making" ๐Ÿ˜›,etc.)?
    Perhaps in the day where we needed to "go forth and multiply" this role would've been more warranted, but in this day and age surely you cant confine womens roles in society to that of only child rearing?
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Jan '11 10:01
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    These days most are not as bad as the caricature, but in the past some were much worse.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Jan '11 09:45
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    These days most are not as bad as the caricature, but in the past some were much worse.
    Iwent to a catholic junior school in the uk called st phillamenas the nuns were horrid,caning and spankig and genral humiliation was rife,I chose a normal comprehensive at 11 fell out with my parents because i refused to go to mass, married a non believer ,raised my kids the same way ,never christend them,they have turned out fine,this god trip is rubbish,10 miles from my home is Ampleforth monastry it used to be the largest in europe with by far the most monks,but hundreds were shipped back to rome for child(sexual)abuse,the police should have arrested the dirty bees,they disgust me almost as much as the pope for covering it all up perverts.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Jan '11 10:02
    Originally posted by meganstripes
    Iwent to a catholic junior school in the uk called st phillamenas the nuns were horrid,caning and spankig and genral humiliation was rife,I chose a normal comprehensive at 11 fell out with my parents because i refused to go to mass, married a non believer ,raised my kids the same way ,never christend them,they have turned out fine,this god trip is rubbi ...[text shortened]... ested the dirty bees,they disgust me almost as much as the pope for covering it all up perverts.
    Anyone saying that morality is a part of the christian faith should read your words.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Jan '11 10:253 edits
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Anyone saying that morality is a part of the christian faith should read your words.
    I am a christian but do know many hippocrites inside the church,they hide behind their mask of purity,but we know what really happens when the lights are out and the doors are locked,you know where the fingers pointing father dont you.
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Jan '11 21:37
    Originally posted by chessgodess5
    I am a christian but do know many hippocrites inside the church,they hide behind their mask of purity,but we know what really happens when the lights are out and the doors are locked,you know where the fingers pointing father dont you.
    I've heard christian people comment about immoral christians, something like:
    "Oh, if he says he is Christian and yet does a such an immoral act, then he is in fact not a true Christian, because true Christians don't do that. I know, because I am a true Christian and I don't do that."
    And they say this without even a little smile. They appearantly believes their own illusions.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree