1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    31 Mar '07 04:111 edit
    How many of you have a working knowledge of the Sermon on the Mount and could recast it in your own words, or at least give an outline of it from memory?
  2. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    31 Mar '07 04:56
    let me look it up
  3. 43.733N 79.716W
    Moves
    31 Mar '07 08:56
    DO UNTO OTHERS ETC.
  4. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    31 Mar '07 11:241 edit
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    How many of you have a working knowledge of the Sermon on the Mount and could recast it in your own words, or at least give an outline of it from memory?
    Doc, this is no joke. I've got a border collie and everybody knows how damn smart they are. Anyway, my border collie ate chapter 6 from Matthew which is the meat of the Sermon on the Mount. So if my dog is so consumed with the Sermon on the Mount, I don't understand why more Christians don't "digest" it. I'm hearing too much Paul these days.

I still have that Bible as a living reminder that if a dog needs "seek ye first the kingdom of heaven", then I do too."
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    31 Mar '07 14:24
    I know how this will sound to many of you, but I could probably tell you some things about The Sermon on the Mount you have never heard of before.
    But don't ask me to do it, because I will not get embroiled in an argument about it here.

So, what's your point?
  6. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    31 Mar '07 14:29
    Originally posted by josephw
    I know how this will sound to many of you, but I could probably tell you some things about The Sermon on the Mount you have never heard of before.
    But don't ask me to do it, because I will not get embroiled in an argument about it here.

So, what's your point?
    I'm all ears.
  7. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    31 Mar '07 14:32
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I'm all ears.
    cover them
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    31 Mar '07 14:33
    Doc, this is no joke. I've got a border collie and everybody knows how damn smart they are. Anyway, my border collie ate chapter 6 from Matthew which is the meat of the Sermon on the Mount. So if my dog is so consumed with the Sermon on the Mount, I don't understand why more Christians don't "digest" it. I'm hearing too much Paul these days.

I stil ...[text shortened]... ing reminder that if a dog needs "seek ye first the kingdom of heaven", then I do too."
    Are you seeking the Kingdom of Heaven?

Yes, this is a trick question. I'm hoping you will take the bait so that we can get into a disagreement that everybody can join in on till we're all arguing about what the truth is. 😉
  9. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    31 Mar '07 14:35
    Are you seeking the Kingdom of Heaven?

Yes, this is a trick question. I'm hoping you will take the bait so that we can get into a disagreement that everybody can join in on till we're all arguing about what the truth is. 😉
    I will remain silent like Jesus before Pilate in honor of Holy Week.
  10. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    31 Mar '07 14:37

So, what's your point?
    SPIT IT OUT
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    31 Mar '07 15:38
    It doesn't really matter what we can pull from memory, but what we
    live out.
    Kelly
  12. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    31 Mar '07 16:042 edits

So, what's your point?
    My hypothesis is that most ardent evangelicals are more likely to have in their immediate cache of evangelical weaponry bits of Leviticus denouncing homosexuality, stories from Genesis refuting evolution and supporting an actual worldwide flood, and cartoonish depictions of the end of the world from Revelation than they are likely to have understood, digested and anaylzed Jesus' actual teachings about humanity, arguably the most valuable portion of Bible, to be able to recount and discuss them on call.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    31 Mar '07 16:21
    My hypothesis is that most ardent evangelicals are more likely to have in their immediate cache of evangelical weaponry bits of Leviticus denouncing homosexuality, stories from Genesis refuting evolution and supporting an actual worldwide flood, and cartoonish depictions of the end of the world from Revelation than they are likely to have understood, ...[text shortened]... y, arguably the most valuable portion of Bible, to be able to recount and discuss them on call.
    Those aren't important anyway. I have been reliably informed by Fundies like whodey and conservative RCs like lucifershammer that without Christ's resurrection the whole thing was meaningless. So who cares what JC said?
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    31 Mar '07 16:52
    I will remain silent like Jesus before Pilate in honor of Holy Week.
    Actually, Jesus was silent before Herod.

Is this a holy week?
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    31 Mar '07 16:571 edit
    Actually, Jesus was silent before Herod.

Is this a holy week?
    Matthew 27: 13-14: 13 Then saith Pilate unto him, Hearest thou not how many things they witness against thee?

14 And he gave him no answer, not even to one word: insomuch that the governor marvelled greatly.

Mark 15:4-5: 4 And Pilate again asked him, saying, Answerest thou nothing? behold how many things they accuse thee of.

5 But Jesus no more answered anything; insomuch that Pilate marvelled

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree