1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    08 Oct '08 17:04
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    At the other extreme they promise eternal life and paradise if you simply say you accept Christ with your mouth.

Both are wrong and both are designed to draw masses of gullible weak-minded people into church so that pastors can get fat and rich. Because once they have you in church either through fear or empty promises of easy salvation, there is the constant exhortation to give and donate, not to the poor and needy but to the already rich church.
    If both are right you still think people should not talk about them?
    Kelly
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    08 Oct '08 17:05
    What exactly is deep down devotion from the depths of your soul?
    Do you even understand what that means?
    It means you have to be real about it and not just mouth the words,
    anyone can mouth the words.
    Kelly
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    08 Oct '08 19:25
    The expression 'just with your mouth' is my own.
    It means to proclaim your faith in Christ, and you will be saved.
    This is what is taught in churches.

Christians dont use that expression
    But if you dont follow the commandments of Christ it is 'just with their mouth' that you believe in Christ.
    This is what is taught in churches.

Me thinks it is more important what the scriptures have to say about it.
  4. Joined
    31 Dec '07
    Moves
    08 Oct '08 20:19
    At the other extreme they promise eternal life and paradise if you simply say you accept Christ with your mouth.

Both are wrong and both are designed to draw masses of gullible weak-minded people into church so that pastors can get fat and rich. Because once they have you in church either through fear or empty promises of easy salvation, there is the constant exhortation to give and donate, not to the poor and needy but to the already rich church.
    I think the relevant N.T. scripture is Romans 10:9 If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus Christ, and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.
    I have heard Christians say that.
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    08 Oct '08 23:06
    Originally posted by muppyman
    I think the relevant N.T. scripture is Romans 10:9 If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus Christ, and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.
    I have heard Christians say that.
    I know the verse.
    Following one verse does not lead to salvation.
    You have to see the whole picture about what gives salvation .
  6. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    09 Oct '08 11:05
    I know the verse.
    Following one verse does not lead to salvation.
    You have to see the whole picture about what gives salvation .
    What are you defining as "salvation"?
  7. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    09 Oct '08 16:28
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    They invoke Hell to bring about submission and obedience to their God through terror.

Discuss.
    I have heard alot of the damned invoke hell. Have you ever told somebody to go to hell?
  8. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    13 Oct '08 11:11
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    They invoke Hell to bring about submission and obedience to their God through terror.

Discuss.
    Get a grip on yourself...will ya?? Just because a Christian brings up the subject of hell, this does not make him a terrorist. What have you been smoking?
    🙄
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Oct '08 12:29
    Originally posted by gambit3
    I have heard alot of the damned invoke hell. Have you ever told somebody to go to hell?
    No.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Oct '08 23:34
    There is no concept of hell, purgatory, eternal torment and damnation for the wicked or ungodly anywhere in the original Hebrew scriptures nor in the Greek scriptures, the source of these present day church teachings seem to stem from a bastardisation of the original Hebrew/Greek words for the common grave of mankind, as a direct result of inaccurate translation from the original languages. the fact that many churches still cling to this superstition is evidence of their own inability to understand, accurately the scriptures which the purport to support! I defy anyone to prove otherwise!
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    13 Oct '08 23:402 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    There is no concept of hell, purgatory, eternal torment and damnation for the wicked or ungodly anywhere in the original Hebrew scriptures nor in the Greek scriptures, the source of these present day church teachings seem to stem from a bastardisation of the original Hebrew/Greek words for the common grave of mankind, as a direct result of inaccurate ...[text shortened]... tand, accurately the scriptures which the purport to support! I defy anyone to prove otherwise!
    You are right. Put simply hell is the grave.
    Unfortunately Christ came along and confused the concept with the following story. Some say it cannot be literal and its a parable. But every parable has a literal and a spiritual interpretation. Whats your view.

Luke 16 : 20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,
    21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.
    22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
    23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
    24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
    25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
    26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.
    27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:
    28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.
    29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.
    30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.
    31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.
  12. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '08 23:41
    People aboard the Titanic who warned of its impending sinking were terrorists.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Oct '08 23:501 edit
    You are right. Put simply hell is the grave.
    Unfortunately Christ came along and confused the concept with the following story. Some say it cannot be literal and its a parable. But every parable has a literal and a spiritual interpretation. Whats your view.

Luke 16 : 20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sor ar not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.
    there is absolutely no confusion whatsoever, for example that the parable was clearly allegorical is seen in hyperbole used by Christ, for example, would dipping ones finger and placing it on someones tongue relieve them if they were literally in torment? there is no mention that the richman was wicked, merely that he was rich, there is no mention of why Lazarus should get salvation other than his wretched state, its purely allegorical. now the question is, to whom is it addressed and why?
  14. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '08 23:54
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    there is absolutely no confusion whatsoever, for example that the parable was clearly allegorical is seen in hyperbole used by Christ, for example, would dipping ones finger and placing it on someones tongue relieve them if they were literally in torment? there is no mention that the richman was wicked, merely that he was rich, there is no mention o ...[text shortened]... s wretched state, its purely allegorical. now the question is, to whom is it addressed and why?
    But in what other parable of Christ does He mention the specific name of someone ?

In no parable that I can recall does Jesus give a name to someone in the allegory.

( I agree that Hades or Hell is the grave or the realm of the dead ).
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Oct '08 00:012 edits
    Originally posted by jaywill
    But in what other parable of Christ does He mention the specific name of someone ?

In no parable that I can recall does Jesus give a name to someone in the allegory.

( I agree that Hades or Hell is the grave or the realm of the dead ).
    Thats correct, so what position/idea does Abraham have in the eyes of the Jews of Christs time? Who could he have been representative of the rich man, i.e privileged, who could be representative of Lazarus, the underprivileged of Christs time, who was Christ addressing, what was the chasm that existed, who had Moses that they could turn to even though they would not believe even if someone was raised from the dead.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree