1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Aug '18 13:07
    Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
    You must start with your own premise, your own concept of eternity. It cant be defined, only hinted at through words.
    Perhaps you should ask a question if you are confused.
    Are there different concepts of eternity?
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 Aug '18 13:11
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    What have you done with KellyJay?
    Boy this is going to be harder than I thought.
    I do find your comment humorous however I'd like to focus on some key ideas.

Lets recap: So far I have posted an idea and a reference to that idea. No one else has put forward anything other than Suzianne who has found my idea confusing.

Are we clear so far?
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Aug '18 13:14
    Boy this is going to be harder than I thought.
    I do find your comment humorous however I'd like to focus on some key ideas.

Lets recap: So far I have posted an idea and a reference to that idea. No one else has put forward anything other than Suzianne who has found my idea confusing.

Are we clear so far?
    I've asked a question above...
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 Aug '18 13:151 edit
    Are there different concepts of eternity?
    Yes. Some believe that we will live forever AFTER physical death,
    that our souls goto heaven which is eternal. This notion of eternity suggests that eternity has a beginning. Twhitehead and I have touched on this previously where he put forward this view.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Aug '18 13:17
    Yes. Some believe that we will live forever after physical death,
    that our souls goto heaven which is eternal. This notion of eternity suggests that eternity has a beginning. Twhitehead and I have touched on this previously where he put forward this view.
    So there is eternity which has a beginning but no end; how does that reconcile with the generally accepted understanding that eternity has no begining?
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 Aug '18 13:311 edit
    So there is eternity which has a beginning but no end; how does that reconcile with the generally accepted understanding that eternity has no begining?
    Well it doesn't in my view.
    If we are eternal then we must have amnesia of sorts. "Life is but a dream" is a saying that has been uttered by many philosophers and the like throughout the ages.
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    02 Aug '18 14:35
    I will get to that. Please indicate what you think so far.

This thread is for sharing ideas but I am not going to spend time answering posts where the poster ignores the premise of the OP. If your posts relate to the OP I will not answer. If you show me how it does relate I will continue.
    I have already made a mistake by not putting my 3rd post into the OP.

Now with this firmly in mind, continue ...
    Your OP asked, "Can we have a thread where we share ideas..."

Sharing ideas 'is' the premise of your thread, so how is me asking you to share your idea about alien DNA in the Bible unrelated to the OP?

Continue...
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Aug '18 20:241 edit
    Yes. Some believe that we will live forever AFTER physical death,
    No one has said that eternity cannot have a beginning.

One can cut infinity in half and still have infinity.

Is man a created being or is he a god?

You seem to be waffling about this.
  9. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    02 Aug '18 23:59
    I think that Spiritual thought should start with a sound premise.
    A "premise" not founded on absolute truth is a false premise.

All "absolute truth", if there be any, is the very essence of the being of an omniscient creator God.

All "spiritual thought" not founded on premises based in absolute truth are delusions.
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 Aug '18 00:19
    I think that Spiritual thought should start with a sound premise. If the spirit is eternal and we possess it then that means we have always been. Eternity doesnot have a start. Other conclusions can be inferred but I will take it step by step
    Aiṓnios is the word often translated as "eternal" in the Bible. However such a translation is not as cut-and-dried as many would believe.

What do you make of the following excerpts from an article entitled "ETERNITY EXPLAINED"?

Our Object
    The object of this writing is to examine the work "eternal" to show where it is used in scripture and to look at the Greek and Hebrew words from which it is derived. The word "eternal" which applies to the nature of God, will be contrasted with the word "age lasting" derived from the Greek word "aeonios," referring to the time periods for accomplishing the purposes of God. A clear understanding of these words reveals a truly sovereign, wise, and just God of love whose plan in creation and redemption knows no failure.

Jesus Definition
    Essential to our understanding of the New Testament scriptures is a clear perception of what eternity and how the word "eternal" differs from the word from which it is translated. It is generally preached that eternity is a state of being into which Christians enter upon physical death and that eternal life describes the life the believer receives from God. But nowhere in the scriptures is a Greek word meaning "eternal" used to describe the life God gives to a Christian. This is proven by Jesus Himself in His one and only definition of the life He gives. For the purpose of clarity, we will insert the original Greek word "aeonios" for the translator s word "eternal." Jesus said, "Now this is aeonios life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent" Jn.17:3. Clearly this life has nothing to do with eternity, but is a quality of relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ who brings us into a present knowledge and experience with God our Father.

Let's Look At "Aeonios"
    To understand this better, we must know about the word "aeonios." The Greek adjective "aeonios," for which so many translations mistakenly use the word "eternal" is derived from the noun "aeon." "Aeon" means "age" or "ages," as in "the mystery which has been hid from ages and generations" (Col.1:26), or in "the ages to come" Eph.2:7. These ages are time periods having a beginning and an end. In the study of grammar, it is an indisputable law that an adjective can have no different or greater meaning than the noun from which it is derived. For example, the adjective "monthly" could only be derived from the noun "month," not "hour," "day," or "week." Aeonios life can only mean a life pertaining to an age or ages of time (Heb.1:3 Ampl.) because "aeonios" is derived from "aeon." Hence, the misapplication of the word "eternal," implying timelessness, when periods or portions of time are meant, obscures rather than proclaims God s magnificent plans for man.

Pasted from <http://www.auburn.edu/~allenkc/eternityexplained.html>
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 Aug '18 00:26
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Your OP asked, "Can we have a thread where we share ideas..."

Sharing ideas 'is' the premise of your thread, so how is me asking you to share your idea about alien DNA in the Bible unrelated to the OP?

Continue...
    I will get to that. Please indicate what you think so far , ask a relevant question or put forward your own idea.
    Based on your recent interactions with me I have no confidence that you will get into the Spirit of this thread. And as I'm only posting in one thread right now I wish to keep control. So if you do have any ideas about clarity or any other ideas mentioned so far then go for it. Otherwise go amuse yourself elsewhere.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 Aug '18 00:35
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    No one has said that eternity cannot have a beginning.

One can cut infinity in half and still have infinity.

Is man a created being or is he a god?

You seem to be waffling about this.
    No one has said bugger all about eternity that I've come across recently. As I said Thwitehead, an atheist, was the last one I talked about this with.
    Its going to seem like waffle if you dont start with a premise. The premise is that we (our souls) are eternal yet we have 'fallen' into a lower vibrational plane (physicality) because of events in the distant past.

Man has god-like nature, which is eternal, which is 'contained' in the vessel (body) which is our created nature.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 Aug '18 00:37
    Originally posted by @secondson
    A "premise" not founded on absolute truth is a false premise.

All "absolute truth", if there be any, is the very essence of the being of an omniscient creator God.

All "spiritual thought" not founded on premises based in absolute truth are delusions.
    The premise is that to get to heaven and experience eternity we must have eternal natures to begin with. If you cant see the logic of this then I suggest you amuse yourself elsewhere.
  14. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    03 Aug '18 00:48
    The premise is that to get to heaven and experience eternity we must have eternal natures to begin with. If you cant see the logic of this then I suggest you amuse yourself elsewhere.
    "Can we have a thread where we share ideas without resorting to belittling or name calling?"

So much for the premise of your thread!
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 Aug '18 01:021 edit
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    Aiṓnios is the word often translated as "eternal" in the Bible. However such a translation is not as cut-and-dried as many would believe.

What do you make of the following excerpts from an article entitled "ETERNITY EXPLAINED"?

Our Object
    The object of this writing is to examine the work "eternal" to show where it is used in scripture and t ...[text shortened]... lans for man.

Pasted from <http://www.auburn.edu/~allenkc/eternityexplained.html>
    Yes that makes it clearer. Eternity is NOT 'living forever' because that links the eternal with our physical natures.
    Again words are going to be very important here as referred to in the text. Moreover, and I cant stress this enough, the words must come from yourself. Even if they are very similar to the words of others, you have to have lived the truth of your convictions to move forward in understanding.
    Hold onto what you know to be true, have faith and always keep a charitable heart. If you dont find ' It' yourself then rest assured that someone who does know will find you in one way or another. This I know because it is what happened to me. The Lord does not abandon his own.

It is generally understood in Eastern Spirituality that Nirvana/Heaven cannot be explained in any temporal terms. Also that we must be prepared to trash our old identity to reveal our true nature. This does not mean abandoning our lives and going to live in a temple or whatever. It means cleansing our minds and purifying our lives to able to receive the Lord into our hearts.
    The Lord does not make mistakes, He doesn't have accidents and nothing is a coincidence. Those who take responsibility of ALL aspects of their lives, down to the smallest detail shall understand this. Those who dabble in spiritual thought without clearly and deliberately addressing all facets of their lives will remain ignorant and continue the cycle of a fallen life.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree