1. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Moves
    08 Sep '17 13:43
    I saw this in the paper today:

"As Aristotle noted, close, deep friendship is one of the pinnacles of human experience."

Is it true?

What other experiences out-pinnacle it?
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Moves
    08 Sep '17 14:30
    Originally posted by @fmf

"As Aristotle noted, close, deep friendship is one of the pinnacles of human experience."

Is it true?

First sir, please evidence that 'out-pinnacle' is a viable word.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Sep '17 14:38
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    First sir, please evidence that 'out-pinnacle' is a viable word.
    I think it's Latin.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    08 Sep '17 15:041 edit
    "What other experiences out-pinnacle it?"

Passing off a clever remark as your own.
  5. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    Moves
    08 Sep '17 16:03

Is it true?

It's definitely out-pinnacled by close, deep friendship with benefits.
  6. Shetland Primary
    Moves
    08 Sep '17 19:512 edits

Is it true?

Having a real supernatural experience when you realise how much Jesus loves you even if you have turned your back on Him.
  7. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Moves
    09 Sep '17 00:17
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    Having a real supernatural experience when you realise how much Jesus loves you even if you have turned your back on Him.
    For me personally, there were certainly some experiences related to my Christian beliefs that were pinnacles in my life. I'm not interested in describing them now but I still remember and perceive those experiences as meaningful and influential to me despite the fact that I have lost that faith and those beliefs in the meantime. Indeed, religiosity can and does permeate and affect all other pinnacle experiences.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Sep '17 05:19
    For me personally, there were certainly some experiences related to my Christian beliefs that were pinnacles in my life. I'm not interested in describing them now but I still remember and perceive those experiences as meaningful and influential to me despite the fact that I have lost that faith and those beliefs in the meantime. Indeed, religiosity can and does permeate and affect all other pinnacle experiences.
    Why do you refer to them as perceived experiences? Surely if you experienced the experience then it is a valid stand alone experience irrespective of your position on christianity today?
  9. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Moves
    09 Sep '17 05:23
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Why do you refer to them as perceived experiences? Surely if you experienced the experience then it is a valid stand alone experience irrespective of your position on christianity today?
    Well, yes, that is what I was trying to say. I meant that, despite my loss of faith, and despite the major change my perception of Jesus underwent, I continue to perceive those experiences as being meaningful and influential.
  10. Shetland Primary
    Moves
    09 Sep '17 05:25
    Well, yes, that is what I was trying to say. I meant that, despite my loss of faith, and despite the major change my perception of Jesus underwent, I continue to perceive those experiences as being meaningful and influential.
    In what way were they meaningful and influential?
  11. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Moves
    09 Sep '17 05:28
    In what way were they meaningful and influential?
    In the ways and to the extent that I have already described.
  12. Shetland Primary
    Moves
    09 Sep '17 06:24
    In the ways and to the extent that I have already described.
    In other words, leave me alone.
  13. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Moves
    09 Sep '17 06:35
    In other words, leave me alone.
    No need for any "in other words" version of your own invention. The words I posted are fine. I think a person's religiosity can and inevitably does permeate and affect pretty much all pinnacle experiences that a believer has. I have no need to go into any personal detail to illustrate this uncontroversial observation.
  14. Shetland Primary
    Moves
    09 Sep '17 07:24
    No need for any "in other words" version of your own invention. The words I posted are fine. I think a person's religiosity can and inevitably does permeate and affect pretty much all pinnacle experiences that a believer has. I have no need to go into any personal detail to illustrate this uncontroversial observation.
    Your evasiveness to most of my questions is also fine.
  15. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Moves
    09 Sep '17 07:38
    Your evasiveness to most of my questions is also fine.
    Does your religiosity permeate and affect pretty much every pinnacle experience you have, and have had? It did for me - back when I was religious. I am not asking for examples. I am just asking if you agree with the observation.