21 Mar '07 15:59
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Then stop posting.
    Suck it up, bigot.
  2. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 16:16
    Originally posted by josephw
    Well, if an act or behavior is unclean or impure it's a sin. One doesn't have to be a genius to figure that out.

It appears, to me, that all you're doing is making the simple truth sound complicated in order to justify evil behavior.
    Some other references to toevah in Leviticus—

NRS Leviticus 11:13 These you shall regard as detestable among the birds. They shall not be eaten; they are an abomination: the eagle, the vulture, the osprey,

NRS Leviticus 19:7 If it [the sacrifice of well-being] is eaten at all on the third day, it is an abomination; it will not be acceptable.

NRS Leviticus 20:25 You shall therefore make a distinction between the clean animal and the unclean, and between the unclean bird and the clean; you shall not bring abomination on yourselves by animal or by bird or by anything with which the ground teems, which I have set apart for you to hold unclean.

The KJV also translates sheqetz as abomination, treating the terms as synonymous, though the NRSV renders it as detestable. Sometimes “abomination” also refers to an idol.

When you read through all the usages, the long and the short of it is: wickedness is abomination, but abomination is not necessarily wickedness.

The English word abominable comes from a Latin root: ab (away from) + omen, apparently meaning to “shun as an evil omen” (John Ayto, Dictionary of Word Origins).

Ayto also addresses the word “evil”—

Evil has got distinctly worse over the millennia. Originally it seems to have signified nothing more sinister that ‘uppity,’ and in the Old and Middle English period it simply meant ‘bad’; it is only in modern English that it connotations of ‘extreme moral wickedness’ came to the fore.”

In other words, one could speak of having eaten an “evil” meal without meaning anything other than that it was bad-tasting. The Hebrew word generally translated as “evil” (ra) also has the broad meaning of “bad,” not exclusively morally bad. The Greek word so translated, poneros, is similar—it comes from a root meaning toil, and carries such meanings as toilsome, grievous, useless, worthless, distressed, ill, dangerous; it can also mean knavish or malicious.

Context, of course, matters. The thing is not to read into the texts from our own moral sensibilities—or, for that matter, to read into any texts a single meaning where many are possible—but to read out of the texts. Or, at least, if we are reading into the text (which I do not think is always invalid; midrashists openly do it all the time), to keep clear about what we’re doing and why.
  3. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 17:29
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Suck it up, bigot.
    Like I said stop posting you know you can't resist to comment on this post. You the bigot.
  4. Joined
    14 May '03
    Moves
    23 Mar '07 02:56
    Like I said stop posting you know you can't resist to comment on this post. You the bigot.
    You would have to be one of the worst examples of someone hurting their own cause that l have ever has the displeasure of encountering.

You have been told before - stop wasting our oxygen.

King Tosser - Bigot that you are.
  5. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 19:55
    Originally posted by nook7
    You would have to be one of the worst examples of someone hurting their own cause that l have ever has the displeasure of encountering.

You have been told before - stop wasting our oxygen.

King Tosser - Bigot that you are.
    This is all I have to say to your post. You have to remember Christians are not PERFECT just FORGIVEN. ONLY JESUS lived the PERFECT life.

Romans 7:14-25

Struggling with Sin

14 So the trouble is not with the law, for it is spiritual and good. The trouble is with me, for I am all too human, a slave to sin.
    15 I don’t really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don’t do it. Instead, I do what I hate.
    16 But if I know that what I am doing is wrong, this shows that I agree that the law is good.
    17 So I am not the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it.
    18 And I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. I want to do what is right, but I can’t.
    19 I want to do what is good, but I don’t. I don’t want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway.
    20 But if I do what I don’t want to do, I am not really the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it.

21 I have discovered this principle of life—that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong.
    22 I love God’s law with all my heart.
    23 But there is another power within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me.
    24 Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death?
    25 Thank God! The ANSWER is in Jesus Christ our Lord. So you see how it is: In my mind I really want to obey God’s law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin.
  6. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 19:59
    This is all I have to say to your post. You have to remember Christians are not PERFECT just FORGIVEN. ONLY JESUS lived the PERFECT life.

Romans 7:14-25

Struggling with Sin

14 So the trouble is not with the law, for it is spiritual and good. The trouble is with me, for I am all too human, a slave to sin.
    15 I don’t really understand myself, for I w ...[text shortened]... In my mind I really want to obey God’s law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin.
    RB, have you seen the Borat movie? I believe this movie is a metaphor for the life of Christ.
  7. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 20:02
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Suck it up, bigot.
    Gee, it seems like the jerkwads dont like you much. You must be on the right track, keep up the good work.
  8. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 20:07
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    RB, have you seen the Borat movie? I believe this movie is a metaphor for the life of Christ.
    No not yet. I want to see him sing the National anthem though.
  9. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 20:16
    No not yet. I want to see him sing the National anthem though.
    Just remember to stay focused on Jesus and see how many parallels you can find.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree